Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Pistols I saw last week & what stood out

Quote Originally Posted by Tod-13 View Post
    Maybe I've got my versions mixed up--this was (for me) the M&P 9mm CORE original release that would do 8-12" patterns at 25 yards. If there is a fix, it was too late for me. (Sorry for the derail.)

Here is the thread I was thinking of. https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....xed-quot/page5

This wasn't some internet thing, this was a real, documented problem. GJM had a "Recent manufacture M&P 9 accuracy" thread with ToddG chiming in at times. https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....p-P-9-accuracy
    Wow, that was from 2012 and I still have bad thoughts about all the time and money I wasted on M&P 9 pistols!
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Attachment 45687

It appears CZ is now makes mags for Wilson?
    Last edited by Clobbersaurus; 08-11-2020 at 02:43 PM.
    "Next time somebody says USPSA or IPSC is all hosing, junk punch them." - Les Pepperoni
    --

August 2020 update

Last week’s (8/3-7/20) pistols:

Glock 17 9mm

Glock 17 9mm from Tuesday on, after starting with a Springfield XD Mod 2 9mm for TD1

Walther PPQ 9mm

Walther PPQ 9mm

CZ P10F from tuesday on, after starting with a CZ P01 9mm on TD1 (he's a left-hander fighting the decocker)

Springfield XDm 9mm

Springfield XD-9 9mm

STI DVC 9mm

STI DVC-Tactical 9mm

Wilson Combat CQB .45ACP

Wilson Combat Presentation Grade .45ACP

Wilson Combat CQB .45ACP

Wilson Combat (can’t recall) .45ACP

Temps were a bit more reasonable. Round count was in the mid 900s of ball ammo and, still, just under 50 of frangible.

More experienced group of shooters overall than the previous class’ group.

None of the guns went to the gunsmith – who was running a parallel class. A fire control group pin on the CZ P10F walked out about a third of the way. Once seen, the pistol was cleared and the pin hammered back in without issues. Other than that, the CZ’s ran fine.

Ammunition issues are not uncommon. It’s not primers in backwards or missing, rather just primers not working, etc. I do recall a few failures to feed (can’t find my notes) that appeared to have been more magazine related, given the round’s angle, than anything else.

The number of 1911s was surprising to the three of us instructors; we haven’t been seeing them in that number. The Wilsons ran without anything adverse about them being recallable.

While I wouldn’t run out and buy an XD, I’m three classes into not seeing what is commonly perceived about them. Whether we would shoot that little or not, a thousand rounds is a lot of shooting for many people.

These were the third and fourth modern Walthers I’ve seen in class. Very nice triggers and they run, near boringly. From limited handling they seem more L/H friendly than some other platforms.

The STI shooters were cleaning their magazines on breaks. Unload, disassemble, brush out, re-assemble, reload. Like the current STI/Staccato production guns, trying to do an admin reload results in the round being left in the gun. At least one had the slide release modified to allow an additional round in the magazine – meaning the slide wouldn’t lock back on an empty chamber.

Both Glocks ran like 9mm Glocks.

A few years back, 2017 I think, I called and emailed as many instructors as I could think of and asked their opinion of the XD line, specifically the full size and subcompact XD-9. Almost all said the XD's ran just fine in class and they had no problems recommending them. A few notables were John Farnham, Clint Smith, Paul Howe, and someone at the Gunsite shop, whom I can't recall exactly. I've had two over the last 15 years or so that I have ran quite a bit, and I've sold and rented out many at a local range where I used to work weekends. They work as well as most everything else in my experience. FWIW. Back when Palmetto was selling them for $299-$339 I bought four and put them in the safe for a rainy day. They've held more value than my savings account, that's for sure.

An engineer that works at a local gun shop who helped design a 1911 style pistol for a local manufacturer that's no longer in business.....once worked at an indoor range. He said the only gun on the range that did not break was an original XD9

No idea on round counts

The first time I picked up an XD pistol, I thought it was made for my hand (and later, the XDM also felt great). I shot an XD Tactical (5”) from Canyon Creek Custom for a couple years – trigger job, adjustable sights, tungsten guide rod. Thousands of rounds in practice and USPSA, IDPA and Steel. I broke a reduced power trigger bar spring, the tip off a striker and a chunk off a barrel lug. Springfield replaced the striker and barrel, no problem. Of course, with consistent dry fire the striker retaining pin will eventually break, just keep an eye on it.
    Then, I shot a Canyon Creek .40 XDM for a year in Limited… – no problem. I like the single action trigger on the XD’s and the grip safety. I like to keep pressure off the grip safety when re-holstering, just like keeping the thumb on the hammer of a DA/SA gun while doing the same.

Site Supporter
    The XD elite series has updated the grip safety. It looks like the improved grip safety on the XDS2. The improved XDS Mod 2 grip safety worked fine. It was easy to manipulate and worked as a built in gadget. Hopefully the XD elite grip safety is just as good.

The old style grip safety is less than ideal. SA should do away with it, and replace it with the improved grip safety.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Wow, that was from 2012 and I still have bad thoughts about all the time and money I wasted on M&P 9 pistols!
    This reminds me that I have a 1.0 CORE somewhere in storage that I should be trying to break even on.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Any word on if the newer FS M&P 2.0 models exhibit better accuracy?

From the M&P Core thread in the Red Dot sub-forum (post 69):

"Now, while the 2.0 is a big improvement in my opinion it still isn’t perfect. For an iron sight gun my 5” is really accurate, but the 4.25” guns still seem to lack consistency in accuracy compared to Glocks. The Apex barrel seems to be the answer to this but it isn’t an option for some people who are required by policy to use stock guns and I only have one barrel installed right now which means two other COREs still have the factory barrel."

No experience with the 4.25 2.0 but can confirm that the 5 inch and 4 inch Compact 2.0 are shooters.

User Tag List