Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 412131415 LastLast

Thread: Pistols I saw last week & what stood out

@Erick Gelhaus VP9Ls seem impossible to find at all right now let alone holsters.

How many 1911’s with optics have you observed in classes? I’m interested in mounting options, optic types, and durability in 45 and 9mm. Not a lot of info out there about single stacks with MRDS.
    “If you know the way broadly you will see it in everything." - Miyamoto Musashi

Quote Originally Posted by farscott View Post
    I am curious about the VP-9L magazine failure. Do you happen to know if the magazine was the original 15-round, the new 17-round, or the neutered 10-round? The reason I ask is that the 15-round magazine seems indestructible with reasonable usage. The 17-round is too new to allow an informed opinion of what HK needed to trade to get two more rounds into the magazine.
    The VP9L shooter himself commented in post #31 here: https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....his-week/page4
    He said they were 20rd round magazines.

Quote Originally Posted by MGW View Post
    @Erick Gelhaus
    How many 1911’s with optics have you observed in classes? I’m interested in mounting options, optic types, and durability in 45 and 9mm. Not a lot of info out there about single stacks with MRDS.
    I've tracked the PMO class stuff in a seperate thread. I haven't had a 1911/PMO combo in a class, though I've had a Stacatto 2011/SRO in one. Chambers Custom has an interesting mounting sey-up for 1911/2011, though I have not seen one in the wild.

I am curious about the VP-9L magazine failure. Do you happen to know if the magazine was the original 15-round, the new 17-round, or the neutered 10-round? The reason I ask is that the 15-round magazine seems indestructible with reasonable usage.
    I agree. During 21k shots, I've had no real problems with my P30 mags (original 15-round, also in my SFP9). Maybe it was a cheap magazine from another manufacturer?

I've replaced mag springs, when the P30 did not stay open sometimes after the last round, probably because I pushed inadvertantly with my thumb on the slide release lever and the spring was not strong enough anymore to push up the lever and my thumb. New mag springs are 17.2 cm (6.8") long. The shortest old spring was only 15.0 cm (5.9") long, don't know its round count.

I've ordered 17-round mags but did not get them yet.

PS:
    Erick posted a bit faster than me. Thanks for the info about the mag type!
    Last edited by P30; 10-16-2020 at 07:52 AM.

I am curious about the VP-9L magazine failure. Do you happen to know if the magazine was the original 15-round, the new 17-round, or the neutered 10-round? The reason I ask is that the 15-round magazine seems indestructible with reasonable usage. The 17-round is too new to allow an informed opinion of what HK needed to trade to get two more rounds into the magazine.
    Interesting! A local SWAT team of a dept with ~ 400 sworn personnel has moved back to Glock 9mm pistols after having issues with the mags for their VP9 pistols. Not sure what kind of issues but I'll see if I can find out.

I have a bunch of P30/VP9 15 round mags with no issues in a slew of P30 and VP9 guns. No issues with the USP Compact 13 rounders either. I’ve only got 4 of the 17 round mags. So far they have functioned perfectly, but I have noticed that they are a looser fit in my leather and kydex mag pouches than 15 rounders. I’m thinking that they use a thinner steel?

I’ve been carrying the VP9 for about a year and a half. It replaced a .40 caliber P30L. I have two with RMRs mounted. I don’t need/want a bunch of custom parts as I run my carry guns stock except for sights. Very happy with the factory triggers and accuracy. Triggers are much nicer than my older Glocks. Best striker trigger I’ve experienced to date has been in a CZ P10c that I scammed from GJM.

My P30s and VP9s rarely lock open on the last round because my left thumb rides the slide stop (left handed shooter). I replaced the right side slide stops with the shorter P2000(?) ones, but still have the issue.
    The first indication a bad guy should have that I'm dangerous is when his
    disembodied soul is looking down at his own corpse wondering what happened.

Quote Originally Posted by LtDave View Post
    I have a bunch of P30/VP9 15 round mags with no issues in a slew of P30 and VP9 guns. No issues with the USP Compact 13 rounders either. I’ve only got 4 of the 17 round mags. So far they have functioned perfectly, but I have noticed that they are a looser fit in my leather and kydex mag pouches than 15 rounders. I’m thinking that they use a thinner steel?
    That is an interesting observation. Besides cost and weight, the only reason to use thinner steel would be to move the round stack outward a bit for a slightly lower round stack height. But it appears from your experience, the inner wall location did not move as the new magazines are loose in the pouches. The weight savings from the thinner steel has to negligible compared to the two extra rounds, so that leaves cost.

That is an interesting observation. Besides cost and weight, the only reason to use thinner steel would be to move the round stack outward a bit for a slightly lower round stack height. But it appears from your experience, the inner wall location did not move as the new magazines are loose in the pouches. The weight savings from the thinner steel has to negligible compared to the two extra rounds, so that leaves cost.
    Don’t get your noses too out of joint over the VP9 20 round mag issue- every one of those was the result of dropping a nearly-full mag during a mandated speed reload. I’ve seen Wilson 47D’s vomit rounds given the same treatment, USP-C .45 ACP mags do the same as the VP9 20’s given the same treatment, and P226 mags (15 and 18 round) behave the exact same way.

All are well regarded mags, but don’t like being dropped with near-full load outs. I’ve never had a VP9 issue of any sort, in normal use, over thousands of rounds.

Training classes do a number of things that are “abusive” to the pistol in the eyes of some, during malfunction drills. This is similar.

Erick, excellent thread. Thanks for the continued input, data points and commentary. Much appreciated.

Best, Jon

Quote Originally Posted by LtDave View Post

I’ve been carrying the VP9 for about a year and a half. It replaced a .40 caliber P30L. I have two with RMRs mounted. I don’t need/want a bunch of custom parts as I run my carry guns stock except for sights. Very happy with the factory triggers and accuracy. Triggers are much nicer than my older Glocks. Best striker trigger I’ve experienced to date has been in a CZ P10c that I scammed from GJM.

My P30s and VP9s rarely lock open on the last round because my left thumb rides the slide stop (left handed shooter). I replaced the right side slide stops with the shorter P2000(?) ones, but still have the issue.
    I had the same issue with a pair of VP9s. Now have a pair of P2000s that go to slide lock as they should. Low round count on both, FWIW.

Depending on location I've found the 15 round P30/VP9 mags to be somewhat sensitive to grit. Never experienced any failures but a couple did have to be disassembled to (re)load to capacity between stages sometimes.

Do you ever see Berettas, OP?

A swift scan through this thread didn't reveal any.

User Tag List