Page 9 of 15 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Pistols I saw last week & what stood out

Quote Originally Posted by schüler View Post
    Maybe he had a reason when he video'd his current skill video series. XD series.
    I don't think those videos are current. Just look at how young he was; compared to his Wilson combat videos now.
    Last edited by edison; 06-29-2019 at 03:48 PM.

Update 12/7/2019

... Bump ...

Guns from this week re-visited

Finished another five-day Gunsite 250 pistol class yesterday with about 900-1000rds each downrange plus 50-75 rds. of frangible in simulators. We had snow on the ground and rain, together that equaled M_U_D.

The students were shooting a Colt Commander .45ACP, two Colt Gov’t .45ACP, Glock 19 Gen 5 9mm, Kimber Gold Match II .45ACP, Les Baer Boss 1911, Ruger LtWt Commander 9mm, Sig 1911 .45ACP, Sig P229 9mm, Sig P320 Legion X5 9mm & RDS, Sig P226 9mm, STI DVC3 9mm & RDS, Wilson Combat Classic 9mm. Wilson Combat EDC X9 9mm, and a Wilson Combat Tactical Elite .45ACP,

Beyond induced stoppages, I saw the odd here & there stoppage on most, if not all, of the pistols. However, two pistols really stood out.

The gentleman shooting the Gen 5 G19 had grip issues that led to numerous unintended magazine ejections, regardless of the effort put in. I did not experience one of these while shooting the pistol.

The EDC X9 had a significant number of stoppages the first two days. A trip to the on-site gunsmith, cleaning, and lube appeared to have handled it - until the night shoot. Take a look at the first photo. The shooter had experienced other stoppages during the evening before that. The stoppage visible in the chamber was what became visible after a vertical failure to eject was cleared. The best description I can give is a Gen 3 G22 internal feed ramp hang-up on top of a nosedive within the magazine. It was cleaned & lubed that night. The daytime photos show other stoppages the next day. The decision was to remove the ShokBuff from the pistol. While no more than a hundred rounds went through the pistol after that, no more stoppages occurred.
    This is not the first non-1911 Wilson pistol I have seen perform this way.

As an aside, the instructors were carrying a M&P 2.0 w/thumb safety & a P1 Acro, a M&P 2.0 Compact, and a Springfield XD 5” .45ACP. While we demo’d drills & techniques, none of us shot enough to evaluate reliability other than that our pistols worked every time.

Name:  IMG_2375 copy.jpg
Views: 1101
Size:  33.0 KBName:  IMG_0512.jpg
Views: 920
Size:  21.9 KBName:  IMG_2374 copy.jpg
Views: 914
Size:  27.8 KBName:  IMG_2376 copy.jpg
Views: 895
Size:  27.0 KBName:  IMG_2377 copy.jpg
Views: 946
Size:  58.0 KB

Site Supporter
    Thank you again for taking the time to post.

Quote Originally Posted by Erick Gelhaus View Post
    ... Bump ...

Name:  IMG_2375 copy.jpg
Views: 1101
Size:  33.0 KB

Brutal. Thanks for the update, I find this sort of thing interesting.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Site Supporter
    I hope the performance of the XD pistols indicates an improvement in production rather than a fluke.

I'd also agree that a student going to Gunsite with a Glock 43 that he or she presumably carries demonstrates a commitment to realistic training.

Vending Machine Operator
    Really valuable info, appreciate the posts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    State Government Attorney | Beretta, Glock, CZ & S&W Fan

Site Supporter
    So how would the shock buffer lead to this type of jam? Slide not going back far enough?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

This isn’t the first time I’ve heard of the shok-buff potentially causing more issues than it solved.
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

I'm not aware of anyone who relies on their piece for serious business that doesn't toss the shok-buff immediately.

More good info -- thank you, EG.
    Hain’t we got all the fools in town on our side? And ain’t that a big enough majority in any town?

Quote Originally Posted by Whirlwind06 View Post
    So how would the shock buffer lead to this type of jam? Slide not going back far enough?
    Yes; they're also prone to shred and gum up the works.
    Hain’t we got all the fools in town on our side? And ain’t that a big enough majority in any town?

User Tag List