Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Pistols I saw last week & what stood out

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by MK11 View Post
    The Apex barrel is a sure fix because it addressed the early unlocking issues, not just barrel twist.
    <further thread drift>
    To the best of my knowledge, rate of twist was never an issue in the accuracy problem, rather it was due to the way the rear of the barrel locked up.
    </further thread drift>

Quote Originally Posted by revchuck38 View Post
    <further thread drift>
    To the best of my knowledge, rate of twist was never an issue in the accuracy problem, rather it was due to the way the rear of the barrel locked up.
    </further thread drift>
    Weren't there also some thoughts that it was manufacturing issues with the 9mm slides that was a causal factor? (Perhaps we're discussing the same thing).

Best, Jon

The Apex barrel is a sure fix because it addressed the early unlocking issues, not just barrel twist.
    Maybe I've got my versions mixed up--this was (for me) the M&P 9mm CORE original release that would do 8-12" patterns at 25 yards. If there is a fix, it was too late for me. (Sorry for the derail.)

Here is the thread I was thinking of. https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....xed-quot/page5

This wasn't some internet thing, this was a real, documented problem. GJM had a "Recent manufacture M&P 9 accuracy" thread with ToddG chiming in at times. https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....p-P-9-accuracy
    Last edited by Tod-13; 06-26-2019 at 02:37 PM.

The p-f thread link was very illuminating (and very long-some 35 pages, but well worth reading).

Thanks for the posting-and Erick, thanks again for initiating and continuing to participate in it. Your empirical and observed first-hand experiences are invaluable.

Best, Jon

What about the Wilson barrels? Do/did they offer any real improvement?
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by awp_101 View Post
    What about the Wilson barrels? Do/did they offer any real improvement?
    No.

The first gen M&P 9mm were hit or miss. most had accuracy issues but some did not. Some shot fine with 147 grain ammo and buckshot patterns with lighter bullets. There were several theories on the cause including barrel twist rate, early unlocking of the barrel and that the 9mm slides got warped when heated during the melonite process because they were stainless steel. The odd part was the .40 and .45 M&P's had no such issues. In fact the.45 versions were exceptionally accurate.

There were a variety of aftermarket barrels. None offered consistent improvement in problematic guns until the Apex.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    No.

The first gen M&P 9mm were hit or miss. most had accuracy issues but some did not. Some shot fine with 147 grain ammo and buckshot patterns with lighter bullets. There were several theories on the cause including barrel twist rate, early unlocking of the barrel and that the 9mm slides got warped when heated during the melonite process because they were stainless steel. The odd part was the .40 and .45 M&P's had no such issues. In fact the.45 versions were exceptionally accurate.

There were a variety of aftermarket barrels. None offered consistent improvement in problematic guns until the Apex.
    I agree..I had a FS M&P, 9mm and a mid size .45..the .45 was stupid accurate, mine did start having issues feeding after about 2500rnds, and after trying new mags that S&W sent me, I gave up and used it for trading fodder.. The FS 9mm was another story, at 10yds it did well, from 10-15 the groups started opening up..15-25yds? Forget it, you'd be better off throwing the pistol at the target, I remember some e-mails back and forth between me, and a S&W rep. After sending him pics of my 25yd targets shot from a bench,on a solid benchrest, using quality 9mm and getting 12" or larger groups, his reply was that I needed to learn how to shoot.. That pissed me off. I dumped the 9mm M&P, ASAP, and swore I'd never buy another.. And, I haven't...
    Last edited by ralph; 06-27-2019 at 08:26 PM.

I have a really, really, really, late M&P 1.0 Compact, and it's demonstrating early unlocking big time. Do the guns tend to work (wear) their way out of this, or should I resign myself to an Apex barrel. The real issue for me here is that I tore the market apart, looking for an American made 9mm Compact, and the M&P was the only thing out there that checked all the boxes on my list. The M&P 2.0 Compact doesn't because Smiff made the grip too long when they made it into a 15 round. Anyway, I'm willing to put some money and effort in this one to bring it up to snuff.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    No.

Thanks!
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

Quote Originally Posted by 358156hp View Post
    I have a really, really, really, late M&P 1.0 Compact, and it's demonstrating early unlocking big time. Do the guns tend to work (wear) their way out of this, or should I resign myself to an Apex barrel. The real issue for me here is that I tore the market apart, looking for an American made 9mm Compact, and the M&P was the only thing out there that checked all the boxes on my list. The M&P 2.0 Compact doesn't because Smiff made the grip too long when they made it into a 15 round. Anyway, I'm willing to put some money and effort in this one to bring it up to snuff.
    The Apex barrel is about the only viable option.. I'd consider sending the slide in to Apex and have them fit a barrel to your slide, that way you know it was correctly fit up. But no, with the factory barrel, it won't work it's way out, it'll always be this way. The best thing you can do with the factory barrel after you get a Apex barrel installed, is to throw it in the trash..
    Anyway, good luck with it..

User Tag List