Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: .45 Colt Duty Revolvers

Quote Originally Posted by Dagga Boy View Post
    1. The guns were originally...
    Straight up: that whole post was some seriously interesting shit.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Quote Originally Posted by Sidheshooter View Post
    Straight up: that whole post was some seriously interesting shit.
    This.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

I remember the Georgia State Patrol .45 LCs.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    If used cop 25-5s were for sale at anywhere near the price of ex-LE 10s, 15s, and 64s, I'd have a few of them.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Quote Originally Posted by paherne View Post
    ...SIG 220 series with horrible trigger and ergonomics...
    Apologies in advance for the threadjack...Maybe it'll give DB another opportunity to relate why his department dropped Sig for H&K.

You've a point on the heel mag release of the early guns, but when did Sig triggers stop being horrible? Most reckon they are fairly decent if there isn't something wrong with the individual unit. Not exactly "tuned K frame then target 1911," but certainly workable. And a P220 is for me perhaps the most pointable of Sig's very pointable semis, a characteristic I include in ergonomics.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    Apologies in advance for the threadjack...Maybe it'll give DB another opportunity to relate why his department dropped Sig for H&K.

You've a point on the heel mag release of the early guns, but when did Sig triggers stop being horrible? Most reckon they are fairly decent if there isn't something wrong with the individual unit. Not exactly "tuned K frame then target 1911," but certainly workable. And a P220 is for me perhaps the most pointable of Sig's very pointable semis, a characteristic I include in ergonomics.

The P220 is one of the easiest guns for me to shoot well. If I had faith in it's durability, then I would look long and hard at one.

Did the .45lc guns out perform the .357 while being more durable and more pleasant to shoot?

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post

We had great luck with the early W. German Sigs. I used one very effectively in my second OIS and my guys dropped a bunch of felons with them. In the late 90’s Sig made some changes and we got a batch of 20 P-220’s in which 11 would not fire a single round out of the box. I called Sig and having a lot of time in the industry and having worked for Sig’s largest west coast LE distributor prior to my LE career I had a good attitude going into the phone call that at times bad stuff happens and simply needed the issue solved quickly and to find out how more than fifty percent of an order was shipped to a LE agency that were obviously never test fired and did not function. They did not give a crap. I was shocked at Sigs attitude. I immediately went up to the Chief’s office and within a couple days we went from exclusively a Sig agency in Patrol (SWAT WENT HK USP 45F in 1995 ish) we were a Glock/HK agency. I love the old Sigs and have zero interest in anything from them in the last 25 years. I was shooting 50,000 rounds a year through my P-220’s for five years before switching to the USP 45. I would do a complete rebuild at 30,000 and sell the gun at 50,000.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

.45 Colt had a small following among Houston PD officers. The 6” sixguns were popular among those choosing to carry Magnum ammo and/or the big bores. I never met a colleague toting a .45 Colt revolver with a barrel shorter than 6”.

.44 Magnum was far more popular than .45 Colt. The availability of the stainless steel Model 629 was probably a significant factor, in Houston’s wet, humid climate.
    Retar’d LE. Kinesthetic dufus.

Don’t tread on volcanos!

Site Supporter
    The 25-5 was big in several areas: SoCal, Houston, Dallas and Atlanta. The ones in the Dallas area were mainly 4" guns, with a few 6" ones. Preferred ammo was the Winchester 225 STHP, which was the recommended load from Allan Jones at Southwest Institute of Forensic Sciences (SWIFS, Dallas County's crime lab). Jones had done some of the first civilian gov't gel testing and promulgated a list of recommended duty loads. He championed the .38 Special lead hollow point (FBI) load and showed that adequate penetration was critical. Jones later went on to a career at CCI-Speer from which he retired after a distinguished career.

That Winchester load was not sexy, but did penetrate well and expand adequately. As Darryl has noted, bad guys didn't need to be shot more than once or twice with it to get the message. The general model of a .45 diameter projectile at 750-900 fps has been an American ballistic envelope since the Colt Walker in 1847. It has been revised, tweaked and repeatedly used with success thousands of times.
    Regional Government Sales Manager for Aimpoint, Inc. USA
    Co-owner Hardwired Tactical Shooting (HiTS)

Here's a podcast with Mas Ayoob interviewing Bob Stasch, a former Chicago PD officer who was in a ton of shootings. He talks about guys carrying 45 Colt revolvers and their effectiveness. Also about how their issued gun was a 38 (I think) but they were allowed a backup. So many officers carried a 45 LC, 1911, or SIG as a BUG.
    It's a good interview, guy was in some crazy situations.

http://proarmspodcast.com/052-interv...ce-department/

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

User Tag List