Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 LastLast

Thread: .45 Colt Duty Revolvers

Site Supporter
    New production should be set up for .451-.452” bullets. If your FMJs are the standard 230-grain round nose, I’d seat them so that you can roll crimp just past where the ogive starts to curve in.

If it were me, I’d sell the hardball and buy some 250-grain SWCs with the proceeds.

Quote Originally Posted by revchuck38 View Post
    If it were me, I’d sell the hardball and buy some 250-grain SWCs with the proceeds.
    That would be smart, but I still load .45 Auto!

re: strength

Did the model 25s get the same upgrades around 1990 as the 29/629s? IIRC they called it the "endurance package" (longer cylinder stop notches, etc). I wonder if that was a change they made across the board to all N-frames. If so you might be able to load new guns up a little warmer than the older -5s...

Quote Originally Posted by jh9 View Post
    re: strength

Did the model 25s get the same upgrades around 1990 as the 29/629s? IIRC they called it the "endurance package" (longer cylinder stop notches, etc). I wonder if that was a change they made across the board to all N-frames. If so you might be able to load new guns up a little warmer than the older -5s...
    Wondering this myself

Quote Originally Posted by SwampDweller View Post
    Wondering this myself
    I believe that they did, but there's still not much reason to load the 45 Colt hot. A 280-grain bullet at 1,100 fps packs a serious punch.

Rather than derail this thread, I'll start a new one about handloading the 45 Colt.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

Site Supporter
    Could Ruger make a large frame LCR in .45 Colt? That would be pretty cool.

Quote Originally Posted by revchuck38 View Post
    The bullets might cause some issues if they're lead. Early 25-5s were built with original .45 Colt chamber/throat dimensions, and the throats tended to be .454 - .456". .45 ACP lead bullets are usually .452" and had a reputation for leading and poor accuracy in those guns. Jacketed bullets apparently worked fine.
    On the S&W Model 25’s in .45 Colt, is there a date after or series/dash after where the throats are more consistent in terms of the throat dimensions? I’d like top pick one up but I would prefer it to be one with .45 Colt cambers to make reloading across platforms easier.

Quote Originally Posted by Coal Train View Post
    On the S&W Model 25’s in .45 Colt, is there a date after or series/dash after where the throats are more consistent in terms of the throat dimensions? I’d like top pick one up but I would prefer it to be one with .45 Colt cambers to make reloading across platforms easier.
    The 25-9's have been reported to have .452" throats.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Coal Train View Post
    The unpinned barrel versions had proper dimension throats, so about 1981ish.
    Regional Government Sales Manager for Aimpoint, Inc. USA
    Co-owner Hardwired Tactical Shooting (HiTS)

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    I just became aware of the Lew Horton Heritage edition 25-11s. Skinny 6 1/2-inch barrel. No lock. Radiused rear sight base that I can replace with the fixed sight I have in my box of S&W junk and pinned brass bead Patridge in front.

It's been awhile since I've had gun wantsies. How many other guns do I sell to fund it?
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

User Tag List