Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: .45 Colt Duty Revolvers

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TheNewbie View Post
    The P220 is one of the easiest guns for me to shoot well. If I had faith in it's durability, then I would look long and hard at one.
    Short extractor non-stainless framed versions have held up pretty well.

Quote Originally Posted by ToddG View Post
    I'm unaware of problems with the locking inserts on P220s. I haven't followed the model in recent years but at least as late as 2007 it wasn't a recurring issue.

The takedown lever issue was twofold: one related directly to the ST steel frame guns and the other unrelated to any model (P220 or otherwise), SIG just contracted a bunch of bad takedown levers over the years and put them in the entire P22x series.

There have been all sorts of problems with various extractor designs in the P220. I'm not certain what the current production P220 uses... I believe it is the "short MIM" extractor which can be replaced by a Gray Guns hardened tool steel version for relatively little money.

Plenty of P220s have hit the 30-50k mark with regular proper maintenance. Last I knew, SIG was recommending changing the recoil spring every 3,000 rounds on their .45s.

John Hearne may pop in and be able to provide tons of great information. He's probably been running P220s as hard as anyone for the past several years.
    I really like the P220, although I don't carry them any longer I keep 3 of them and a P245 as options.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Site Supporter
    Thanks for that link NickA. Even though I'm mostly out of the business I try to keep learning.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Dave T View Post
    Thanks for that link NickA. Even though I'm mostly out of the business I try to keep learning.

Dave
    It is a good interview but it needs to be deciphered a bit. My favorite is where he claims to be a “point shooter” while perfectly describing a flash front sight picture. Other stuff was very consistent with what I found with most of the successful guys.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

.45 Duty Revolvers

A real walk down memory lane. I have a 25-5, .45 Colt, 4" bought use from Beach City Armory in Manhatten Beach, CA. Difficult to believe that in the early-mid 80's, SoCal was a great place to buy guns (3 day wait notwithstanding). Supply was good and shops would deal. Gun was probably a former Long Beach PD gun. Smooth action and great SA/Da trigger. I like taking it out now to indoor ranges, populated by people who have only fired poly semi's. Do a DA rapid fire series, and literally when the smoke clears, their eyes are big and they are checking their ear pro .

Also had a W.Ger SIG P220, really nice gun, Bu the price I could get for it a few years ago, surpassed my need to keep shooting it. Had nice Milt Sparks leather for it.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    Short extractor non-stainless framed versions have held up pretty well.
    Quote Originally Posted by ToddG View Post
    There have been all sorts of problems with various extractor designs in the P220. I'm not certain what the current production P220 uses... I believe it is the "short MIM" extractor which can be replaced by a Gray Guns hardened tool steel version for relatively little money.
    Unfortunately, there is no longer any sign of that part on Bruce's website.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Not sure what the current street price is for a 25-5, but I ran across this while searching for some other Smith's higher on my list. Maybe somebody here and give it a good home.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/819013538

Theres several in the reasonable price category at the moment.

Speaking of police trade in 25-5s

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/818725738

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Malamute View Post
    Theres several in the reasonable price category at the moment.

Speaking of police trade in 25-5s

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/818725738
    Damn...that's some medium rare enabling right there.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

I didnt specifically mention the 2 4" guns (I think?) that were under that price by a fair bit. They were in the bidding process, so only time will tell where they end up.
    Last edited by Malamute; 06-24-2019 at 07:40 PM.

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Malamute View Post
    I didnt specifically mention the 2 4" guns (I think?) that were under that price by a fair bit. They were in the bidding process, so only time will tell where they end up.
    I’ve got a couple on my watch list.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

User Tag List