Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: RFI: Recommended (Inexpensive) Carbon Monoxide Detector

I have 5 of the First Alert SCO501CN-3ST Battery Operated Combination Smoke and Carbon Monoxide Alarm with Voice Location units throughout the house. They have operated flawlessly, and they are interlinked so that if any one of the units is triggered, it announces on all of the units the type of issue detected and the location. The locations are user defined (e.g Master Bedroom, Guest Bedroom, Office, etc). If the alarm set in the guest bedroom senses smoke, all of the alarms will announce: 'Warning, evacuate! Smoke in the Guest Bedroom!"

They operate on AA batteries which are replaced in a slide-out battery tray.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Blues, I got a pair of these based on the recommendation of my heater guy, who is very sharp. Our local fire department also recommended them.

I replace all the batteries in the house on New Year's Day, including the ones in these.

Site Supporter
    These will keep Blues from turning Cherry Red.

Quote Originally Posted by SeriousStudent View Post
    Blues, I got a pair of these based on the recommendation of my heater guy, who is very sharp. Our local fire department also recommended them.

I replace all the batteries in the house on New Year's Day, including the ones in these.
    If I’m not mistaken that is the brand/type (wired tho) that Airstream uses in their RVs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by SeriousStudent View Post
    Thanks for the reminder. I don't recall the last time I replaced batteries in the CO detectors.

Gas fireplace and water heater downstairs. Gas heaters and water heater in the attic. Do I need CO detection for other potential sources of CO? I assume that an actual fire generating CO would be detected by the smoke alarms?
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

I have this one in each room with wood heat, not sure if it's any good, but I'm sure it works.

https://amzn.to/2YbuwtK
    #RESIST

Site Supporter
    Rule of thumb is one detector per level. I'd have to do research about having one in the attic- I'm not sure what the extremes of heat and cold would do the the sensitivity, and it would be hard on battery life. My basement is half finished, I have COs and smokes in the finished part of the basement and upstairs by the bedrooms. I have an additional CO in the furnace room.

Your smokes should go off long before any fire puts a measurable amount of CO into the air. Unless whatever is on fire is as clean-burning as natural gas.

Quote Originally Posted by RoyGBiv View Post
    Thanks for the reminder. I don't recall the last time I replaced batteries in the CO detectors.

Gas fireplace and water heater downstairs. Gas heaters and water heater in the attic. Do I need CO detection for other potential sources of CO? I assume that an actual fire generating CO would be detected by the smoke alarms?
    'Nobody ever called the fire department because they did something intelligent'

User Tag List