Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RFI: Recommended (Inexpensive) Carbon Monoxide Detector

RFI: Recommended (Inexpensive) Carbon Monoxide Detector

Since it looks like our new HVAC system: heat pump, propane furnace and inside coil will be installed beginning sometime on Monday, I was wondering if anyone has a solid recommendation for a CO detector...a simple plug-in / battery back-up, or battery only version which has proven robust and reliable?

I don't intend to hard wire one into our current smoke alarm system.

The last ones we purchased were simple plug-ins from First Alert w/ no backup years ago. They're out of date and need replacement.

Also, is the 10 year battery option with some offerings a viable choice?

Looking to see if any particular unit seems to be recommended more than others. Kidde, First Alert, etc.

Thanks in advance.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Read: Harrison Bergeron

Following
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Site Supporter
    I have two of these - one in upstairs bedroom and one downstairs. https://www.amazon.com/Nighthawk-Ope...s%2C139&sr=8-4

Plug ins to wall outlet - has a digital display to provide reading. Never alarmed - so far so good. I have gas heat.

I have a smaller battery only version on my boat due to generators - CO is a big deal in the boating community with the large cruisers, etc.
    Last edited by ranger; 06-22-2019 at 04:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ranger View Post
    I have two of these - one in upstairs bedroom and one downstairs. https://www.amazon.com/Nighthawk-Ope...s%2C139&sr=8-4

Plug ins to wall outlet - has a digital display to provide reading. Never alarmed - so far so good. I have gas heat.

I have a smaller battery only version on my boat due to generators - CO is a big deal in the boating community with the large cruisers, etc.
    That is one of the units I have saved in my cart at amazon already. As you know, your opinion carries weight with me, even if you are an...(I can't say it).

Thanks for sharing.

CO monitoring is serious as a heart attack.

As RVers, I’m pretty familiar with their need on the road. Any good RV will have one.

Here is a decent overview by a popular blogger couple who happen to own an Airstream. Hope this help @blues.

https://longlonghoneymoon.com/carbon-monoxide-safety/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Site Supporter
    A few weekends ago - local fire department, Fish & Game, etc. had to execute a rescue for a couple in a houseboat on Lake Allatoona while were there. Extract from houseboat, put on D&R boat, rush to local dock then to waiting ambulance then hospital. Never heard the result but pretty sobering. We were anchored along with multiple other boats and saw the event. Very sobering - especially to several of the boat owners who silence their alarms. A lot of the bigger boats run their generators the whole time they are off the dock - all good as long as the wind blows. The wind has a bad habit of dying down after midnight...

Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post
    CO monitoring is serious as a heart attack.

As RVers, I’m pretty familiar with their need on the road. Any good RV will have one.

Here is a decent overview by a popular blogger couple who happen to own an Airstream. Hope this help @blues.

https://longlonghoneymoon.com/carbon-monoxide-safety/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Thanks, Rich. I often wonder how close to death I ever came routinely sitting in a vehicle for 12 hour shifts on surveillance.

I won't buy a POS, but I don't want to go overboard either. I don't live my life in fear. Judicious attention to a real threat should suffice.

Site Supporter
    I have these:

First-Alert-Carbon-Monoxide-Temperature

I like having the digital readout. No issues with them so far.

After having issues with in-date detectors still doing the low battery beep with relatively fresh batteries, I've gone completely over to the 10-year detectors, smokes and CO both.
    'Nobody ever called the fire department because they did something intelligent'

Not at home right now to look, but I talked to the firemen up the street (nice to live within a half mile of both a fire station and hospital, and pays big dividends when the power goes out), and they had some recommended models. Might try there for what I presume is an informed and unbiased opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by ranger View Post

Picked up a couple of these Kidde Nighthawks which were delivered and installed today.

Tomorrow, hopefully, the HVAC install will be finished and I can start cooling off again. It's been pretty miserable the last couple days and we're going on day 12 come the morning.

User Tag List