Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Son's first official gun.

you're doing the Lord's work

I found a nice K22 at a gun show and bought it to start out my son. He's not gotten the wheel gun gene from me, unfortunately. An old, very clean Ruger Mk II I'd found while fighting off the High Standard disease became his favorite after just one trip to the range. As a previous poster mentioned about single-action triggers for the young and/or in experienced, I think that made the difference for my son.

As he's transitioned to centerfire pistols, he always - always - asks for a 1911 to be in the range bag.

Hope this turns out very well for ya'll.

Of course he probably also needs an "unofficial " .22 youth rifle to go with that, unless dad has one he can "borrow."

And probably a SA trainer.

Nice one!
    Last edited by Baldanders; 06-22-2019 at 08:57 PM.
    REPETITION CREATES BELIEF
    REPETITION BUILDS THE SEPARATE WORLDS WE LIVE AND DIE IN
    NO EXCEPTIONS

Quote Originally Posted by BillSWPA View Post
    No reason not to start him off single action first. He can then stop cocking the hammer once he masters that.
    Phooey.
    Start him off with a flintlock.
    Once he masters that flinch...
    Recovering Gun Store Commando. My Blog: The Clue Meter
    “It doesn’t matter what the problem is, the solution is always for us to give the government more money and power, while we eat less meat.”
    Glenn Reynolds

I've been eyeballing a Ruger Bearcat at the local gunshop.

This is a single action only household

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    just in case.
    At this point in my (wife's) life, that would take some explaining...

Quote Originally Posted by 03RN View Post
    He'll start on .22s off course but when Steph posted on the $250 M64s I hmmd and hawed for a while. Finally I broke down and ordered one. I figure they're not really getting cheaper and $250 was to hard for me to pass up.

I have a spare Elpasso saddlery Threepersons and t grip that would round out the package.

He turns 1 next month. I shot it today and it's right on. I stripped it, stoned the moving parts, regreased it and the trigger improved quite a bit. I plan on storing it untill he can handle a DA trigger and teaching him to work a DA revolver first.
    Attachment 39322
    Much wisdom here. He’ll be a good kid.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Quote Originally Posted by mmc45414 View Post
    I am tempted by those, if I only had a son I could get one. For him, of course...
    Quote Originally Posted by M2CattleCo View Post
    I've been eyeballing a Ruger Bearcat at the local gunshop.

This is a single action only household
    Single Six. Buy the little man quality that will last his whole life.

I don't have children of my own, but I am convinced that a factory in the Czech Republic fired up and made 300 rifles because I asked the right dealer when I saw pictures of one of the 50 they'd already made and decided my godson would eventually need one.

In my safe, there is also:
    A Marlin 15YN for all the chilluns to start with.
    A Browning SA-22 that was on 1/3 off clearance at Academy; it's free of handling nicks, because what Academy shopper handles an old-fashioned looking, really expensive .22? It's pretty for the pretty little girls to appreciate. The Texan may get to keep it one day.
    A Browning 1911-22 (aluminum frame, of course). Amazingly, I can actually shoot it with my big paws, but it will work better for their little ones. It's a giggle with CCI SV.

Tryin' to be a good uncle...
    Last edited by OlongJohnson; 06-23-2019 at 10:57 AM.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

All you guys with no kids need to get with the program.

Having kids opens new doors for excuses to shop for guns and and a training/practice regiment for procreation is almost as fun as training on the range.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    Single Six. Buy the little man quality that will last his whole life.

I don't have children of my own, but I am convinced that a factory in the Czech Republic fired up and made 300 rifles because I asked the right dealer when I saw pictures of one of the 50 they'd already made and decided my godson would eventually need one.

In my safe, there is also:
    A Marlin 15YN for all the chilluns to start with.
    A Browning SA-22 that was on 1/3 off clearance at Academy; it's free of handling nicks, because what Academy shopper handles an old-fashioned looking, really expensive .22? It's pretty for the pretty little girls to appreciate. The Texan may get to keep it one day.
    A Browning 1911-22 (aluminum frame, of course). Amazingly, I can actually shoot it with my big paws, but it will work better for their little ones. It's a giggle with CCI SV.

Tryin' to be a good uncle...
    I handled the Browning 1911 .22 pistols at the last 2 NRA shows I attended, and both times thought they would be excellent for teaching kids

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

User Tag List