Thread: 40 to 9 conversion for Hi Power. How's it work?

40 to 9 conversion for Hi Power. How's it work?

Now that 9mm is a "thing" I wonder about having a 40 S&W Hi Power rebarrreld.

The process itself seems completely simple and makes sense. Just add a new barrel and use the appropriate magazine. But outside of that, I wonder about overall reliability.

Is there anything required with extractors? What I'm more curious about is recoil spring weights. The 40 slide is quite noticeably heavier than one made for 9mm and I can't imagine the conversion would function without a seriously lighter recoil spring. At least not with standard pressure ammo.

Who's had a conversion done and how has it functioned? Thanks in advance for the info.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

I have been told by a very well respected Hi Power 'smith that a 40 makes a better 9 than a 9, due to the stronger cast frame, thicker slide, and extra radial lug.

As far as how to do it, I don't know.

M2CattleCo is 100% correct!
    Facts matter...Feelings Can Lie

Site Supporter
    Do the standard 9mm barrels fit the 40 or does it require a dedicated conversion barrel.?

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    Do the standard 9mm barrels fit the 40 or does it require a dedicated conversion barrel.?
    I only have one 9mm barrel without the little alignment nub and it does not fit into my 40.

I talked to KKM about conversion barrels a couple years ago. From what I remember they make a 2 lug barrel for the conversion. Barsto also makes a conversion barrel. Is it the 2 or 3 locking lug pattern?

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

It takes a dedicated barrel because the 40 has 3 locking lugs, vs the 9's 2.

User Tag List