View Poll Results: Self-Illuminating Night Sights - Yay - Nay?

Voters
96. You may not vote on this poll
  • Night sights on all carry guns

41 42.71%
  • Night sights on some carry guns

39 40.63%
  • No night sights on any carry gun

12 12.50%
  • Mods Here Are Shit

4 4.17%
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Self-Illuminating Night Sight Poll

Night sights

Trijicon on my work guns since 1992. Too much easier for me to see at low-light quals to even question. HDs most recently even on the off-duty gun.. If I could find something the same size & width/dovetail/looks like HD front sights, I'd have them on the fronts of 1911s I've gravitated to in retirement. Always wanted my 642 milled and set up with the front Big Dot but not sure I can justify the expense any more.

Quote Originally Posted by That Guy View Post
    Unfortunately there would be some technical challenges to overcome, since cameras don't see things the same way human eyes do.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sidheshooter View Post
    To say nothing of low light also being relative (to the eye’s current state of adaptation) and not absolute.
    Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    That's no shit. My "low light" today isn't my 20 year old eyes "low light".
    Exactly. I recall taking a class with a well respected trainer. After dinner we met back at the range for the low light portion of the class. It was about 1 hour or so until sunset, and we were informed this was considered low light. The class continued for several hours until what I would consider low light. As has been pointed out previously, words mean things, but those things are not the same to all people.
    Taking a break from social media.

Site Supporter
    Assuming it's not cost prohibitive (read-dovetail front/rear), I prefer a bright front and subdued rear. Becoming more of a fan of the Hiene Straight 8's for a general purpose.

I doubt it will ever matter for me, as a flashlight makes night sights turn into plain iron sights.
    Last edited by jeep45238; 06-23-2019 at 07:45 PM.

Glow in the dark is cool. Radioactive is cool too. I prefer a tritium front with blacked out rear, the capsule of the trit reflects available light and (for me) is a glint for front sight alignment regardless of ambient conditions
    Last edited by J0hnny; 06-24-2019 at 08:07 PM.

I voted "night sights on all carry guns" but to be specific I have at least a tritium front on all carry guns that don't wear an RMR; those have all black Ameriglos.

I've gone to fiber optic on the fronts of all of my defensive pistol and solid black rears. The tritium insert on my desired narrow blade front sight was always getting dirty and required daily cleaning. At the point the tritium was visible, it was too dark to properly identify a target anyway. FO and a WML for me...

I'm always changing my sights around but at the moment, and for quite some time, all of my guns have Dawson fibers. I've tried Ameriglo Bold, Agents, Trijicon HD/HDXR, etc and always end up swapping back to the Dawson sights. The only downside of the Dawson sights seems to be that they rust. I'd probably like the others more if they had a set screw like Dawons. Can't really go wrong with any of those options tbh.

Quote Originally Posted by Poconnor View Post
    If I could get Ameriglo front sights with just orange dots and no tritium I would use them.
    I'd like to have that option as well.

There are some guns that I would carry that don’t have tritium sights on them now, but mostly I’ve got them. All my low light shooting experience has been in IDPA match stage scenarios, where I’ve found the glowing dots surprisingly irrelevant, and maybe even a little distracting, but I still act on the vague intuition that I’m better off having them.

Have a pair of g19s.

Primarily carry the one with Dawson chargers fiber front if I know I'll be home before dark.

If I know I'll be in the dark the other has tritium front.

The one I'm not carrying is always in my trunk so I have options.

User Tag List