View Poll Results: Self-Illuminating Night Sights - Yay - Nay?

Voters
96. You may not vote on this poll
  • Night sights on all carry guns

41 42.71%
  • Night sights on some carry guns

39 40.63%
  • No night sights on any carry gun

12 12.50%
  • Mods Here Are Shit

4 4.17%
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Self-Illuminating Night Sight Poll

I work into the night, so night sights on most. I don't have them on my LTT Elites, as they are a matching set of range guns, while my Inox 92 and my Centec, both have night sights.
    After trying to order Ameriglo's Spartan's, from their 2017 catalog, after they told me they were ready, I had to make my own. My carry PX4's, (one in nine and one in forty), both have had the rears drilled and vials inserted for reasons. Where back up/training PX4's I have the standard Ameriglo's, just haven't installed them (prefer to train with the same thing, just time issues currently).
    Full size PX4 has Trij HD's on it, but it was a good deal and a range gun, that I plan on nightstanding. (may have to change them, but priced right to try)
    Fiber optic on my revolver and factory 3 dot on my TZ99, because of lack of options.
    CZ's are currently being prepped for mod's (TFO's, Mepro and fiber optic on different ones).
    Sig has factory night sights.

EDIT to add, they are on my preferred carry gun, but I consider any gun potentially a carry gun, and certainly a training gun, in case roll around on the floor and grab what is available. (still making sure my carry gun, is and continues to be the right choice)
    Last edited by beenalongtime; 06-22-2019 at 01:36 PM.

Gucci gear, Walmart skill Darth_Uno's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    Everything I carry has night sights now that the Shield has them. I've evolved over the years on the usefulness of them, going from "mandatory!!!!" to "meh, nice to have but you can do without them as well."
    That’s a briefer summary of my post. There’s no reason not to get ‘em...but you’re probably fine without unless it’s your job to carry all day every day, to potentially unfamiliar locations.

And if you look up ancient (by internet timescales) posts on 1911forum you’ll see I advocated night sights for everybody. But now I’m ambivalent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by NH Shooter View Post
    My PPQ has a tritium front sight only, serrated u-notch in the rear. It works pretty well with no flashlight. The tritium front sight also makes the pistol easy to find in the bedroom at night. :-/
    Where did you get it? My understanding is that the PPQ and P99 front sights are interchangeable.

Site Supporter
    Didn't vote. I have also gone back and forth on their necessity. I am becoming more comfortable with fiberoptic. With night sights I am almost off of the need for more than a front dot. I blacken the rear dots, anyway, so why spend the money? I am also playing with suppressor height sights in my RMR'd gun, and I am really like a tall, thin front blade..

My current set ups are Smith & Wesson M&P9 with three dot tritium, a M&P9c with a green FO front and rear with the white dots blacked out. A G17.4 with RMR, and suppressor height Straight 8 style tritium sights. My AR has standard sights and an aimpoint, my shotgun a plain ghost ring with a tritium front. My bowhunting in bear country Glock 20 still has the original plastic sight notch protectors in place.

I am not in love with any of those setups, don't feel any is particularly lacking, and am willing to bet my life on any of them.

pat

Quote Originally Posted by UNM1136 View Post
    Didn't vote. I have also gone back and forth on their necessity.

pat
    I didn't vote either. I went 29 years without but peer pressure (here) won me over.

That said, I like 'em on the Glocks and will continue with 'em. They definitely helped with my low light (sans flashlight) quals with the sheriff's office for LEOSA. With the flashlight they aren't a big deal. (No surprise there.) I predict that the value will increase as I get older but I don't know for sure. I only wear cheaters for indoor reading now.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Quote Originally Posted by revchuck38 View Post
    Where did you get it? My understanding is that the PPQ and P99 front sights are interchangeable.
    http://www.10-8performance.com/walther-ppq-rear-sight/

http://www.10-8performance.com/walther-ppq-front-sight/

My three carry guns (except for the 642) now bear X300U's, and two of them are equipped with RMR's so no need for tritium. However, the Trijicon kit for the 1911 only come with three dot tritium, and my Wilson EDC X9 has the Ameriglo-type tritiutm/orange front sight.

Along with many others, I thought tritium night sights seemed like a good and necessary accessory when they first came out however long ago that was ('80s).

However, after replacing dimmed-out sight sets (or later, dimmed out front sights alone) over and over and over, and having NEVER found them necessary or even genuinely helpful in dim light shooting practice, I gave up on them altogether.

While I do recognize that there is likely a very particular level of dim light in which they might prove helpful, I decided that the questionable or minor benefit of having them was nowhere near worth the trouble and expense of replacing them every 3-10 years.

All my pistol and revolver sights are now non-tritiated, and have been so for many years.
    All of them do have visual aids like front sight white dots or gold beads or fiberoptic rods, though, which suffice quite well for me.
    "Therefore, since the world has still... Much good, but much less good than ill,
    And while the sun and moon endure, Luck's a chance, but trouble's sure,
    I'd face it as a wise man would, And train for ill and not for good." -- A.E. Housman

Hammertime
    I don’t know what I don’t known on night sights. Expert opinion seems all over the place. I am personally pretty agnostic about type of sight and or whether it glows in the dark somehow.

I have all sorts of sights on all sorts of guns. All I insist on is that they are zeroed and that I know the zero when I can see the sights.

15 years ago, I just had to have them on all carry guns, front and rear. The carry Kimbers, the BHP, the G19, they all had to have the precious glowing sights.

Now those sights have all lost their luster in more ways than one. When I have been buying sights for newer Glocks, I'll get the Ameriglo Defoors with the small tritium in the front sight only. Because the thin .125 front sight works so well for me, I'm not willing to move up to a bigger front sight to get a bigger tritium dot and I want fully blacked out rears.

I just did a dark, lights out test with my Defoor equipped guns. With non-dark-adapted eyes, in full dark I can see the dot but not ID the target. When I have enough light to ID a human shaped target but not ID the person, I can see the dot well enough to make good hits. When I have enough light to ID the person, I don't need the tritium dot.

With fully dark adapted vision, this may change.

Put me in the "Don't care that much about them anymore" category.

Gringop
    Play that song about the Irish chiropodist. Irish chiropodist? "My Fate Is In Your Hands."

User Tag List