Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Would it be blasphemy?

Site Supporter
    If you plan to keep the Colt and don't view it as an investment to be sold later, then begin grinding. I suggest that you leave the back of the hammer somewhat rounded instead of flat. By leaving this part rounded, there remains a small hump increasing mass when compared to a flat back area. My unsubstantiated opinion is that this practice may prevent light strikes.

Quote Originally Posted by BillSWPA View Post
    Removing too much mass from a Detective Special hammer is known to cause light strikes.
    This is true, happened to me years ago when I did a complete spur bob on one, only fix once you have done it (other than a replacement full hammer) is a heavier hammer spring like the new ones Numerich sells, which is very detrimental to a good trigger.

The hammer shrouds are aluminum, both the Waller and Colt versions, and don't add any measurable weight to the gun at all.
    Last edited by fatdog; 06-22-2019 at 09:26 AM.

I've tried the "bob" and the shroud on DSes and Cobras and the shroud is better. They are a tough nut to find but worth it. It will need to be installed by a Smith. The screws that attach the shroud to the firearm are small and specific to the job.

Colt’s own custom shop bobbed some of those final-model DS hammers, so, no, not “blasphemy” to de-horn or bob it, IMHO. I’d go with a highly-skilled ‘smith, who understands DS functioning; Cylinder & Slide, or equivalent.

I owned one of those Colt-CS-bobbed DS sixguns, until one of my bone-headed herd-thinning exercises in the Nineties. The PD computer had only nine spaces for entering firearms with which I had qual’ed, and I used to think that if a handgun did not earn its keep, it should be re-homed. I saw my DS as “too nice” to carry, so it found a new home, probably when I was re-establishing my 1911 battery.
    Retar’d LE. Kinesthetic dufus.

Don’t tread on volcanos!

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    I sent an email to Michael de Bethencourt <sp?> to ask if he had any. No response.
    Try some of the links here.

https://www.imwithroscoe.com/
    "It's surprising how often you start wondering just how featureless a desert some people's inner landscapes must be."
    -Maple Syrup Actual

The other thing to consider is switching holsters. The JIT is a great rig for light OWB carry, but tends to put the gun a little farther out. You may consider something like the Sparks 200AW which is Hank Sloan inspired and has a hammer shroud on the holster to prevent being hung up by a cover garment. The 200AW is probably a little heavy for concealed carry - Bell Charter Oak has several designs that either have shrouds or carry the gun low enough to shroud the hammer.

The Alessi Talon Plus (shown here holding my Colt Cobra with a hammer spur) also is cut high enough to keep the spur from snagging (closeup on Instagram).

Name:  DF69917E-1E24-4E96-AF9D-CB1517853649.jpg
Views: 223
Size:  38.3 KB
    Last edited by RevolverRob; 06-22-2019 at 04:02 PM.

My chopped police positive has a trimmed hammer. Lights primers fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    All I've done on mine is to lightly round off the edges of the hammer.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Site Supporter
    I have, over the years, removed the hammer spur on four d frame Colts. All the bobbed hammers ignited primers. I don’t discount reported light strikes, I have not experience them.

I have bought an extra hammer to bob to keep an original hammer untouched. The extra hammer was a remove the original hammer and replace the extra hammer with no problems.

I would not bend the mainspring to obtain a lighter trigger pull with a hammer spur removed.

I have a reproduction hammer shroud on a d frame colt. The shroud doesn’t add any noticeable weight to the revolver. Depending on the grips, size of hand, etc.. the shroud can hit the hand when firing.

Hope this helps.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan1980 View Post
    So I have this little Colt DS snubbie. It's a 4th issue so not that old of a classic and not uber collectible, but time goes on and they ain't making any more like these. It usually just sits in the safe. Reason being is because it's a bear to draw from a pocket or even from a OWB like a JIT Slide with a cover garment of some sort. It's in basically fired but otherwise pristine condition, it basically has not a single flaw in it's finish. The reason it's a bear to draw is that frigging hammer spur is sharper than most of my knives and it's a magnet for clothing. It grabs EVERYTHING and doesn't let go. AT. ALL.

So would puppies and baby rabbits die if I dehorned the thing? It would be a fabulous 6 shot carry piece on occasion. It's got a great action and shoots straight and as a bonus it looks kinda cool too. I want to carry it.

What the P-F consensus?
    The only thing I can tell you is that nothing you mentioned is blasphemous.

User Tag List