Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Would it be blasphemy?

Would it be blasphemy?

So I have this little Colt DS snubbie. It's a 4th issue so not that old of a classic and not uber collectible, but time goes on and they ain't making any more like these. It usually just sits in the safe. Reason being is because it's a bear to draw from a pocket or even from a OWB like a JIT Slide with a cover garment of some sort. It's in basically fired but otherwise pristine condition, it basically has not a single flaw in it's finish. The reason it's a bear to draw is that frigging hammer spur is sharper than most of my knives and it's a magnet for clothing. It grabs EVERYTHING and doesn't let go. AT. ALL.

So would puppies and baby rabbits die if I dehorned the thing? It would be a fabulous 6 shot carry piece on occasion. It's got a great action and shoots straight and as a bonus it looks kinda cool too. I want to carry it.

What the P-F consensus?

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan1980 View Post
    So I have this little Colt DS snubbie. It's a 4th issue so not that old of a classic and not uber collectible, but time goes on and they ain't making any more like these. It usually just sits in the safe. Reason being is because it's a bear to draw from a pocket or even from a OWB like a JIT Slide with a cover garment of some sort. It's in basically fired but otherwise pristine condition, it basically has not a single flaw in it's finish. The reason it's a bear to draw is that frigging hammer spur is sharper than most of my knives and it's a magnet for clothing. It grabs EVERYTHING and doesn't let go. AT. ALL.

So would puppies and baby rabbits die if I dehorned the thing? It would be a fabulous 6 shot carry piece on occasion. It's got a great action and shoots straight and as a bonus it looks kinda cool too. I want to carry it.

What the P-F consensus?
    It’s not like your killing a 1920’s DS. For the folks who actually carried them back in the 80’s, hammer bobs and some melting with a hard chrome treatment was pretty normal fare.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

Hammer shroud

How about getting one of those hammer shroud attachments I've seen on detective specials a few times? Probably not one of those parts you'll just stumble on no doubt, but they're out there...kinda turns it into a humpback of sorts, kinda nifty solution if you ask me. But if this isn't your taste, you could also find another hammer to Bob and install, or just Bob the one you got..the older I get I really have gotten to feel like, you only live once and what makes you happy now is fairly priceless, you don't know what tomorrow will bring..I say if you will carry it more, and draw smoother go for it. At times looking at Fitz specials with the cut back trigger guard I'm tempted to do it to my 340PD..how's that? I just might one day...

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    I sent an email to Michael de Bethencourt <sp?> to ask if he had any. No response.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

I say go for it. If modifying it means you'll carry and enjoy it more, modify away. Will it be worth less? Sure. But that value only matters if you see the gun purely as an asset to be sold (either by you or your heirs) after appreciating in value, rather than as an object to be enjoyed and appreciated for the enjoyment it brings.

Hammer shrouds can be acquired, but they are sought after so prices reflect that. In my experience, original Colt shrouds most often are found attached to Colt revolvers, and given the prices that unaccompanied shrouds bring, that likely is the best way to acquire one. For your gun I would bob the hammer and call it a day; if you have a gunsmith do the work (someone who understands Colt actions) you might consider having him or her remove the single action function after bobbing the hammer.

Site Supporter
    Leave as much metal as you can. Removing too much mass from a Detective Special hammer is known to cause light strikes. Take off just enough of the spur to solve the problem, and no more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

Quote Originally Posted by BillSWPA View Post
    Leave as much metal as you can. Removing too much mass from a Detective Special hammer is known to cause light strikes. Take off just enough of the spur to solve the problem, and no more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Definitely. Only looking to ditch the spur and there's really no real reason to go tuning it. The action is pretty good from the factory on this one. I've been known to go pretty radical on S&W hammer chops, but those are game guns only and it's pretty hard to get them to not be reliable as it increases hammer speed, plus Federal primers. But the geometry is quite likely different on a Colt and I'd leave all I could there just in case.

Quote Originally Posted by Michpatriot View Post
    How about getting one of those hammer shroud attachments I've seen on detective specials a few times? Probably not one of those parts you'll just stumble on no doubt, but they're out there...kinda turns it into a humpback of sorts, kinda nifty solution if you ask me. But if this isn't your taste, you could also find another hammer to Bob and install, or just Bob the one you got..the older I get I really have gotten to feel like, you only live once and what makes you happy now is fairly priceless, you don't know what tomorrow will bring..I say if you will carry it more, and draw smoother go for it. At times looking at Fitz specials with the cut back trigger guard I'm tempted to do it to my 340PD..how's that? I just might one day...
    I discounted that idea pretty quickly. Adding weight to an already "heavy" snub is not what I'm looking to do. I'm just trying to get it closer to my 642, it being so easy to draw from any carry method and even shootable from a jacket pocket has me spoiled I guess, but it would help with that aspect at least.

If you bob the spur off - be aware - you need to leave as much mass in the hammer as possible or light strikes will occur. Colts are especially susceptible to this.

If you’re just going to break the sharp edges or round the hammer spur, no problem. But if you the spur flush, you’ll almost certainly get light strikes. Most Colt smiths would cut the spur short and then reshape the hammer to blend it, to keep enough mass in.

There was a company a while ago that made little kydex or rubber “boots” that slipped over hammer spurs to keep them from catching. When you stroked the trigger, they would just pop off the hammer spur. These are the ones I was thinking of: https://www.amazon.com/Leo-Combat-Po.../dp/B013O3BTXQ - only for J-frames. But I’m sure you could make something similar.

I once “dehorned” a hammer by sliding some heat shrink insulation tubing over it and shrinking it down. Worked great.
    Last edited by RevolverRob; 06-21-2019 at 11:51 PM.

I got a spare hammer to bob, but since carrying the Agent, and stoning all the sharp edges off everything, I decided to use it as is. I tend to put my thumb against the back of the hammer, it keeps it from catching on things as I pull it out of my pocket.

User Tag List