Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: J Frame Shoulder Holster?

Site Supporter

J Frame Shoulder Holster?

I am well aware of the practical downsides of shoulder holsters in general. I have even actually used a shoulder holster semi-operationally in a previous life (i.e., as a fobbit, with an M9 and some kind of issued Galco shoulder rig). And when I’m living the snub life as I usually default to in the summer, I’m either carrying in the pocket or in a Smartcarry.

That being said, if one wanted a shoulder holster for a shiny deep blue and walnut J-frame, does anyone have any recommendations for something that conceals reasonably well AND looks old school classy?

I already have a Ken Null SMZ, which conceals well, but it’s all plastic. I’m kind of wanting something more leathery and noir.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

A E Nelson

http://aenelson.hostcentric.com/prod...roducts_id=328

Lawman Leather also has some rigs, but they are fairly pricey for what you get.

The single best J-frame shoulder rig IMO is the Alessi Guardian.
    Carries the gun butt-down, high up just in front of the armpit, where it's invisible under a cover garment.
    It's balanced on the offside by a pouch for a speedstrip or loose cartridges, with a belt tie-down, and is all leather.

Better for such a small gun than the same maker's Bodyguard.
    Better than the Sherrick Brown Shoe, since there's no elastic or cloth strap around the opposite shoulder.
    Better than Ken Null's City Slicker (similar to the SMZ) IME since I didn't find his Tri-Span harness comfortable. (YMMV)

(All my Alessi rigs but one were made by Lou himself prior to his demise in '09, and I can't swear to the status of the current craftsmanship, but it is probably quite similar.)
    Good luck.
    "Therefore, since the world has still... Much good, but much less good than ill,
    And while the sun and moon endure, Luck's a chance, but trouble's sure,
    I'd face it as a wise man would, And train for ill and not for good." -- A.E. Housman

If horizontal carry works for you, the Mitch Rosen Stylemaster is a good choice. I have samples for the 1911 and Glock 19 that I use as dedicated road trip holsters. The plus -- and the minus -- of the Stylemaster is there are no holster ties to the belts or pants, making this a holster easy to use during restroom breaks. No need to handle the holster or pistol when you NEED to go and no chance of leaving a pistol behind. It also allows the pistol to be accessible from the driver's seat, even while wearing a seat belt.

There are options for the Stylemaster to have the offside be either two magazine pouches or an extra pistol holster. For the 1911, I went with the magazine pouch option, and for the Glock 19, I went for the extra pistol option. Two Glock 19 pistols balance extremely well while not being too heavy and allow either left or right hand draw -- if you regularly practice. The balancing is important as the holster is not secured to the pants in an way. The harness that Rosen uses is comfortable and concealable. As I do not take as many nighttime trips as I once did, my practice has been more sporadic. Still I find these holsters to be the best option for me for long sessions in the vehicle. The price tag is the biggest negative, which is why my samples were all bought "pre-owned".

Rosen sells the pouches or extra holster as accessories, so you can try both or switch between left-hand and right-hand carry. I tried the two 1911 pistol option for the balance, but the weight did not agree with my shoulders after hour twelve or so.

Site Supporter
    The beet revolver shoulder holster I have used is Galco’s Miami Classic. Get it with the dump pouches rather than the speed loader pouches for significantly more comfort under the strong side arm. The dump pouches will hold a pair of speed strips. Don’t bother with the belt tie downs. Simply adjust the holster so it is relatively high under your arm, and it will remain relatively stable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

Sam Andrews Solo rig.
    http://www.andrewsleather.com/traditional.htm

I used one with a Kahr K40 and had zero complaints.
    "It's surprising how often you start wondering just how featureless a desert some people's inner landscapes must be."
    -Maple Syrup Actual

I had the vertical Galco Miami Classic rig about 15 years ago when I first got my CPL. It was for a G19, not a revolver, but I recall it being extremely comfortable for the few months I had it. Also looked cool. I ditched it on eBay following my first pistol class.

Site Supporter
    A shoulder holster was one of my main carry methods for my first 8 years of carrying. After getting some training, I switched almost entirely to IWB carry at 3:30 whenever a cover garment was appropriate, realizing that I had much more training and practice from the strong side hip than with a shoulder holster. However, I still think a shoulder holster is good to have around.

When my wife's brother got married, I was his best man. The tuxedo had no belt loops. I used a Galco Miami Classic shoulder holster to carry a Glock 19.

When wearing a suit with a button front overcoat in cold weather, getting to a hip holster can be slow. A shoulder holster can be more accessible.

Another vote of confidence for Sam Andrews, though mine is the Monarch, for the SP101. I actually acquired my Monarch SP101 shoulder component through evil bay, and swapped it onto a complete Monarch rig that had originally been equipped to carry a P229, with mag pouches and a dagger sheath on the off-side.

Of course, here in humid, often steam-bath-like SE Texas, I wear a leather shoulder rig about once every other year, or so, so my rigs remain in very good condition. I hang onto my shoulder rigs, because, well, Wyoming exists, and well, maybe, someday.
    Last edited by Rex G; 07-02-2019 at 10:55 AM.
    Retar’d LE. Kinesthetic dufus.

Don’t tread on volcanos!

I just picked up a Bianchi 9R. I like the older ones that don't do double duty as a belt holster.

Name:  9R 2%22.jpg
Views: 977
Size:  27.8 KB
    The first indication a bad guy should have that I'm dangerous is when his
    disembodied soul is looking down at his own corpse wondering what happened.

User Tag List