Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Using my ultrasonic for an AR BCG

Site Supporter
    I have one of those S&W 5.45 uppers plus a Spikes 5.45 upper. They sit in the back of the safe. Need to bring them out again. Mine are low count as 223/5.56 prices came down so I do not want to deal with the corrosive issues.

@LittleLebowski,

What was your usual cleaning routine and what products did you use? After shooting did you do a full cleaning with hot soap and water or at least use a corrosive salt neutralizing product like Ballistol? How long had that bolt gone without cleaning when you threw it into the tank?
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    @LittleLebowski,

What was your usual cleaning routine and what products did you use?
    Hot water rinse, air dry, relube as needed. I’ll punch the bore once with carbon remover.

After shooting did you do a full cleaning with hot soap and water or at least use a corrosive salt neutralizing product like Ballistol?
    Just hot water, it neutralizes salts. Believe me, you would see the difference if you didn’t rinse with water.

How long had that bolt gone without cleaning when you threw it into the tank?
    I think north of 800 rounds, easily a year. FYI, shooting 5.45 ain’t like shooting 5.56, this shit is dirty.
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    Hot water rinse, air dry, relube as needed. I’ll punch the bore once with carbon remover.

Just hot water, it neutralizes salts. Believe me, you would see the difference if you didn’t rinse with water.

I think north of 800 rounds, easily a year. FYI, shooting 5.45 ain’t like shooting 5.56, this shit is dirty.
    WOW! Thanks for the info. That's amazing to see that much corrosion even with a good cleaning cycle.

I wonder how much of that wear/damage is simply from expected wear regardless of corrosive ammo. I've never seen a 5.56 bolt after 25k rounds, so I'm wondering if it would be just as beat to shit.

Totally following you with the hot water. Growing up we cleaned our black powder rifles with hot soapy water in a bucket, worked fantastic. I got my first Commie gun from Fred a couple weeks ago, so I was planning on doing the same routine but using Ballistol as my lube just as good measure since my regular stuff (Slip) doesn't neutralize the corrosive salts.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Just cleaned the wife's jewelry, popular request in my house. The results are amazing.

#RESIST

Just learned a few things great info cleaning solutions and effects on coatings.

Question

Before: my G19X, easily 3k+ rounds without cleaning.

Name:  592716A0-2DDE-4C2E-BCF5-B22A0D278639.jpg
Views: 292
Size:  43.1 KB

Name:  76113A89-791E-45D5-B8C4-6FF418525099.jpg
Views: 291
Size:  31.0 KB

Attachment 39906
    #RESIST

After 30 mins in hot water with a couple squirts of Dawn dish soap. The slide was only in there bottom down, as so to avoid damage to the tritium vials in the night sights. The purple hue on the slide is normal for a G19X.

Name:  1783CBE1-7602-42B6-9167-3950E3F9BAAE.jpg
Views: 299
Size:  29.8 KB

Name:  8B8E9A99-54CC-454D-90C6-A6173117BF23.jpg
Views: 293
Size:  28.5 KB

Name:  64B59748-6C56-4DD5-B39F-EB9313993750.jpg
Views: 284
Size:  27.8 KB
    #RESIST

I miss the days of uber cheap, dirty, corrosive surplus ammo and hosing down AKs in the back yard after a range trip.

Quote Originally Posted by Casual Friday View Post
    I miss the days of uber cheap, dirty, corrosive surplus ammo and hosing down AKs in the back yard after a range trip.
    I have a fairly large stack of 5.45 in tins.
    #RESIST

User Tag List