Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Using my ultrasonic for an AR BCG

Using my ultrasonic for an AR BCG

I’ll post the results tomorrow, but you get the idea. I bought this ultrasonic cleaner in February 2016 and I’ve used it pretty hard.

This is for my filthy 5.45 AR’s BCG. I used hot water, some Dawn dish soap, and turned on the built in water heater.

#RESIST

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Good call staying away from the caustic cleaning solutions. Anything with a non-neutral pH (in either direction) is a risk on lots of finishes, whether they are sacrificial metal plating (zinc, etc.), oxygen-based conversion coatings (anodizing or bluing) or just simple barriers (paints) like Cerakote.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Site Supporter
    will this be a better clean than the non-chlorinated brake cleaner that you've talked about before? Is your BCG phosphate coated? I'm curious and VERY ignorant...

Best,
    Ozzie

Quote Originally Posted by momano View Post
    will this be a better clean than the non-chlorinated brake cleaner that you've talked about before? Is your BCG phosphate coated? I'm curious and VERY ignorant...

Best,
    Ozzie
    It’s better for a detailed cleaning, non chlorinated brake cleaner is still good, especially for the upper and lower receivers. It really cleans out the chamber in a way that you cannot sans parts washer.

The bolt carrier is a nickel boron one, I had no problems with the original, but bought this since I’m using Soviet surplus, corrosive ammo.
    #RESIST

I am curious about how many rounds were fired between cleanings of that BCG.

( And how many rounds total, too. This is the old S & W, right?)
    "If I ever needed to hunt in a tuxedo, then this would be the rifle I'd take." - okie john

"Not being able to govern events, I govern myself." - Michel De Montaigne

Quote Originally Posted by Lex Luthier View Post
    I am curious about how many rounds were fired between cleanings of that BCG.

( And how many rounds total, too. This is the old S & W, right?)
    First, maybe 800? I don’t keep records. Secondly, maybe 10k rounds on that BCG and that is sill the original bolt.
    #RESIST

Wow. 10k. So just a "3rd Tier" carbine, eh?
    ( 2nd or 3rd barrel? I forget.)

I look forward to seeing what the ultrasonic cleaner does.
    Last edited by Lex Luthier; 06-22-2019 at 05:26 PM.
    "If I ever needed to hunt in a tuxedo, then this would be the rifle I'd take." - okie john

"Not being able to govern events, I govern myself." - Michel De Montaigne

Does S&W still warranty and support that model, El Duderino?

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

This is after I wiped everything down with a paper towel and cleaned out the tank. Note the bolt that's pitted from roughly 25k rounds of corrosive, Soviet surplus.

I just added hot water, some Dawn dish soap, set the tank heater to 140 degrees, and turned on the ultrasonic for thirty minutes.
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle Reese View Post
    Does S&W still warranty and support that model, El Duderino?
    No, I tried after the second barrel went south.
    #RESIST

User Tag List