Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Exodus from high tax states just beginning

Quote Originally Posted by Mark D View Post
    Long term, I suspect you're right.

In the shorter term, LL and others are probably correct - the least appealing states to Californians (and other immigrants) will be slower to change. Personally I was considering the Carolinas, but the recent anti-2A push in VA, and the political shift in GA, has me doubtful that the southeastern coastal states will remain red.
    We're hangin' on in western NC so far.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    We're hangin' on in western NC so far.
    Unfortunately, the issue is not Western NC - it is the urban areas with colleges and technology centers.

Quote Originally Posted by ranger View Post
    Unfortunately, the issue is not Western NC - it is the urban areas with colleges and technology centers.
    Oh, don't I know it. And don't forget that a number of transplants, (even hereabouts), "think globally, act locally" and have the bumper stickers to prove it.

Live and let live is fine by me as long as it remains a two way street.
    Last edited by blues; 06-23-2019 at 05:46 PM.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

CWM11B
    Asheville and Boone are full retard. Raleigh/Duraham/Chapel hill area are beyond redemption. the other major cities are same/same or almost there. The coast is quickly being overdeveloped. I hate to see it, but do not think it can be stopped. I've said it here and elsewhere: ten years tops and NC is solidly blue and will no longer be gun friendly. We have pretty good 2A support for now, but there is a bill in the house to change our CCH from shall issue to may issue. My blood has been here since the beginning. Its home, but I am considering leaving at some point. The problem is, every where I would consider seems to be heading in the same direction.

Quote Originally Posted by ranger View Post
    Oh, I don't know. I'm a WNC native, and some think Asheville is "lost". Well, except for the microbreweries. Live in the RDU area now, and while there are plenty of nice folks, there is absolutely no shortage of interlopers who have no hesitation about showing us how we need to change, live, act, etc. Or drive . . .

Believe them, they won't hesitate to tell you what's wrong with the area. Again, the minority, but still . . .

South Dakota has ZERO state income tax cheap vehicle tax/registration, and the people are genuinely nice. I’d consider retirement in Sioux Falls (it’s like a hybridized large and small city). They do tax online sales, though (but, everyone will be in the next 10 years, if I had to guess)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Bart Carter View Post
    We need the right type of people to move to Nevada. Come yourself or send like-minded individuals.
    Nevada is done. Too many stupid Californians have polluted the politics.

It's worth noting that not all of the states that people have mentioned in this thread are actually on the "exodus" list. The article is careful to mention only NY and CA.

I don't think US internal migration is as simple as the article suggests at all. Pennsylvania isn't super high tax rate and isn't super liberal, and sees a higher move out rate than New York.

Massachusetts is a classic nanny state, with high taxes, and was pretty much net population, as was New Hampshire.

IMHO a lot of migration is simply about access to jobs and people aligning themselves with their intended lifestyle. Nearly everything else is a red herring.

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    Tell him "Change that leads to muda is not kaizen."

FWIW, the most conservative Toyota employees I was personally acquainted with tended to stay in SoCal. They had ties to family, owned property, and were committed to an outdoor lifestyle that simply isn't available in DFW.
    I try to refrain from any conversation with him at all. After you hit 60, you tend to watch out for high blood pressure.

We have gained a lot of awesome people here. We have a local STEM school in our district, and many of the new Toyota folks volunteer in the robotics, engineering and physics labs. They have been terrific!

Gucci gear, Walmart skill Darth_Uno's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TheRoland View Post
    It's worth noting that not all of the states that people have mentioned in this thread are actually on the "exodus" list. The article is careful to mention only NY and CA.

I don't think US internal migration is as simple as the article suggests at all. Pennsylvania isn't super high tax rate and isn't super liberal, and sees a higher move out rate than New York.

Massachusetts is a classic nanny state, with high taxes, and was pretty much net population, as was New Hampshire.

IMHO a lot of migration is simply about access to jobs and people aligning themselves with their intended lifestyle. Nearly everything else is a red herring.
    Illinois is shedding population. All people really care about is their own bottom line. You can jump across the border to Indiana, Missouri, or Kentucky and pocket more money because of lower taxes (either state, local, or property). Nobody really cares what the taxes go to. All they know is they can pay $X in one state, and significantly less in another 30 minutes away. So if the overall quality of life is the same, why pay more in one state vs another?

User Tag List