Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Exodus from high tax states just beginning

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Quote Originally Posted by SeriousStudent View Post
    He just shrugged, and said "Yeah, folks like you just stay buried in the past."

I truly fear people like Roy. He has enough brains to be dangerous, but not enough brains to understand consequences.
    Tell him "Change that leads to muda is not kaizen."

FWIW, the most conservative Toyota employees I was personally acquainted with tended to stay in SoCal. They had ties to family, owned property, and were committed to an outdoor lifestyle that simply isn't available in DFW.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

He just shrugged, and said "Yeah, folks like you just stay buried in the past."
    People like him might wind up buried in the near future.
    Ignore Alien Orders

I truly fear people like Roy. He has enough brains to be dangerous, but not enough brains to understand consequences.
    And there are many like him. Unfortunately, the only way to cure his ailment is for him to experience true hardship. It's going to get ugly before it gets better.

Quote Originally Posted by NH Shooter View Post
    The Massholes who move to NH for the lower cost of living do precisely that.
    They've been doing the same thing in Maine for years.

Quote Originally Posted by TexasSiegfried View Post
    This is an interesting comment. I wonder how much we will see conversations among family begin to shift from the lines of blood, to the ideological tribe, whether governed by spirituality, politics, economics, etc....

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
    I don't understand what you meant here.

Blood is pretty close to the most important thing in life in my opinion. But staying in NYS wasn't an option, and the family was planning to all move out. We just manages it sooner then them.

After starting our own family, we moved to FL because children need grandparents. To say that another interstate move was a hardship we endured to be with family is entirely accurate. Because blood is important.

-Cory

Quote Originally Posted by cor_man257 View Post
    I don't understand what you meant here.

Blood is pretty close to the most important thing in life in my opinion. But staying in NYS wasn't an option, and the family was planning to all move out. We just manages it sooner then them.

After starting our own family, we moved to FL because children need grandparents. To say that another interstate move was a hardship we endured to be with family is entirely accurate. Because blood is important.

-Cory
    My comment was not a specific comment or critique of your individual situation or motives.

My curiosity is more focused on personal allegiances. Based on your response, blood is a priority in your motivation. I was just wondering how often that will be true for others moving forward in this society. It is in no way meant to be a judgement of your life decisions.

Quote Originally Posted by TexasSiegfried View Post
    My comment was not a specific comment or critique of your individual situation or motives.

My curiosity is more focused on personal allegiances. Based on your response, blood is a priority in your motivation. I was just wondering how often that will be true for others moving forward in this society. It is in no way meant to be a judgement of your life decisions.

I didn't take it as an attack by any means. I just didn't understand what was meant, and was trying to give some insight into one of the major items that lead to me moving to Florida.

I think that the pull of family is as strong as it has ever been in our country. That being said people picked up and left their home town and changed states generations ago too. The only difference is that it's easier to keep in touch with those you leave behind when you do it today.

-Cory

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    My wife would leave after the first snow in June. My biggest quibble was riding a motorcycle leaned over 40 degrees to compensate for the wind.

Love Wyoming.
    I drove across North Dakota in a van with the steering wheel cranked a quarter turn due to the wind. Every overpass was a chance to drive off the road. I asked a local if it was always that windy and got the, “you’re an idiot” look.

Driving west through Theodore Roosevelt National Park at sunset was amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by EricP View Post
    I drove across North Dakota in a van with the steering wheel cranked a quarter turn due to the wind. Every overpass was a chance to drive off the road. I asked a local if it was always that windy and got the, “you’re an idiot” look.

Driving west through Theodore Roosevelt National Park at sunset was amazing.
    That is a no-shitter. The Mrs and I have driven a van in that wind/terrain. Same deal on our end.

Tangentially, a drum ensemble from Africa out on a van tour got blown off the road in the same territory many years back. Nobody was hurt, but it turned into a circus because the troopers that came to the rescue found the stranded van filled not just with male African drummers, but also some underage Canadian groupies. Mild international hilarity ensued. Suffice to say they missed the rest of the tour dates.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Quote Originally Posted by pooty View Post
    None.
    A million legal immigrants a year, 30+ million un-repatriated illegals waiting out the Trump administration, leftist control of the education system brainwashing the young people...
    None, unless these states are in different countries.
    Long term, I suspect you're right.

In the shorter term, LL and others are probably correct - the least appealing states to Californians (and other immigrants) will be slower to change. Personally I was considering the Carolinas, but the recent anti-2A push in VA, and the political shift in GA, has me doubtful that the southeastern coastal states will remain red.

User Tag List