Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Robar NP3+ on Action Parts

Robar NP3+ on Action Parts

Last Sept we bought my wife a P30SK V1, which I ended up liking a lot, so much so, that I got a standard P30 V1, and it's become my carry gun, replacing my 226 & 229.

I really like the P30, and the LEM trigger is very nice. My reference for a great trigger is my 226 that went to Grayguns, for the full action job and hammer/sear replacement. The results were very nice, and I’d say worthwhile, if you value the smoothest trigger possible.

I've considered sending my P30 to Robar, and having the slide coated in NP3+, and possibly the internals. Mostly for aesthetics, but also for corrosion, considering the climate here in regards to rust.
    I just wonder how much the NP3 will lighten the pull weight, simply due to the slick nature of the finish? I don't mind the pull weight, or any aspect of my trigger, it's great as is, so I just wanted to ask for your thoughts on this, for those that have guns with NP3 on the action parts.

Also, with the LEM, have any of you sent them to GGI/LW/Robar for action jobs, with or without NP3, did you feel that the improvement was worth the time & money? Aside from shortening the reset, was there a big improvement with how smooth it was pulling through the wall?

Thanks

I have a P30Sk that’s done up by Rick at Lazy Wolf. Let me know if you find yourself up in Dallas any time soon and you can put some time on it. I can’t remember what coating he uses, but it’s probably similar.

I’m not sure how much is his work and how much is the coating but the trigger is VERY NICE.
    David S.

i just dropped off a full size PX4 at Robar yesterday for a Norton Special (NP3 on all metal parts) and another mag as well (I have about 5 similarly coated). Eventually, all my regular use guns will have NP3 applied. I am a believer.

Having said that, I don't think the coating lightens the pull at all. It makes it noticeably smoother, which may give the perception of a lighter pull, but I don't think the weight is affected. When it comes to the feel of the trigger, I absolutely feel like NP3 is worthwhile. it is a phenomenal coating and very protective, and it is worth the time and money for just that, so the smoother pull is a nice bonus.

One thing I am fully on board with is that from now on, all of my carry mags for any pistol (outside of, ugh, if I ever carry a Glock - god forbid) will be NP3ed. It is amazing how smooth and easy to use they are, and they practically come out of the gun like an F15 ejection seat.
    For info about training or to contact me:
    Immediate Action Combatives

I would skip having your slide NP3d. Trying to grasp your slide is like trying grasp a Teflon coated skillet.

Years ago I sent a Glock in to have the frame textured, and for $60 or something I figured I'd have the slide internals NP3d as Randy Lee of Apex Tactical said he polished his striker where the spring cups touched, so I figured it'd be like the same thing. Got it back from Robar and they musta screwed up the work order because they did the slide internals *and* the slide exterior.

Quote Originally Posted by HopetonBrown View Post
    I would skip having your slide NP3d. Trying to grasp your slide is like trying grasp a Teflon coated skillet.
    This was something I was wondering about. I have one of the Sig M11 A-1's with factory FDE Cerekote, and it has an interesting feel to it. It's not slippery, but it's just very smooth, and I don't mind it. Granted, I've never ran it through a full day, or two day outdoor course in the heat either, which I could see being an issue when it comes to needing to slingshot the slide. The only other finish I have experience with is Black T. John Harrison did some work on my DW A2 and it had to be refinished, so he sent it to Birdsong. It's somewhat like the cerekote, as you can definitely feel the Teflon aspect. My CS suck, they were poorly cut, so the slick finish makes it a bit interesting to grab onto.

Having big hands, I've always gravitated to using the slide release lever, as opposed to grabbing the slide, although I'll grab it occasionally; that being said, maybe the slickness wouldn't bother me? The CS on my HK are pretty grippy, so that may save me...?

@Cecil Burch how do you feel about the finish on the slide, when you grab the serrations, does the NP3 make it difficult to obtain a grip?

In terms of slipperiness, cerakote is nothing like NP3.

Yeah, I release the slide using the slide stop, but you gotta initially load the gun by grasping the slide, as well as when you press check, clear malfunctions and unload and show clear.

I'd have Robar remove the NP3 and replace it with something less slick, but Defoor zero'd the sights and I'm lazy.

Robar made my LWC full auto by NP3ing the sear.

Fixed it at the range with a stone in three minutes, but it was exciting.
    Ignore Alien Orders

Quote Originally Posted by JAD View Post
    Robar made my LWC full auto by NP3ing the sear.

Fixed it at the range with a stone in three minutes, but it was exciting.
    Wow, that’s pretty crazy! That goes back to my comment/concern about such a slick coating on the hammer & sear causing the pull weight to ‘appear’ lighter...

What about their Roguard finish??

This is the most negative intel I’ve seen on NP3 to date, but this is what I want to know, the truth, so I’m now having second thoughts....but, I hope to see a few more responses from others, and go from there.

Thanks.
    Last edited by Sauer Koch; 06-22-2019 at 10:16 AM.

I have seen people complain about slippery slides with NP3, but it has not been a problem for me.
    For info about training or to contact me:
    Immediate Action Combatives

Robar NP3+ on Action Parts

I did not think the unintended feature enhancement was a big deal. He did a trigger job with the coating and a bunch of other work, all of which was good. I think the trigger job was probably done before the coating. Also note that this was 1998.

I would unhesitatingly put NP3 on any gun I owned. I have several that need done, eventually.

The slickness of the slide was never an issue, and I ran that gun in some rainy, muddy classes before making it a groomsman’s gift. It is the best gun I’ve owned.
    Last edited by JAD; 06-22-2019 at 11:51 AM.
    Ignore Alien Orders

User Tag List