Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: New J-frame backup gun advice

Quote Originally Posted by BK14 View Post
    J-frame ordered. Thank you all for the help, looking forward to learning the new system.

While I’ve got y’all, since I’m in the dark on revolvers, are there any recommendations for a pocket holster, as well as a gym-shorts type appendix rig?
    The Harry's works as a gym shorts AIWB rig, but it prints like crazy for me. My 642 with boot grips actually prints much worse than a G19 in a JMCK Wingclaw 2.0. It's worse than a G19 in a DSG Orion. For some reason the Harry's causes the butt of the 642 to stick out about 15 degrees from my torso.

The Harry's is a very well made holster, and service was good. But I can't wear it if discretion is required. I'm going to try the DSG Apolo in a 3" version. YMMV.

ETA: I don't have a problem with the factory 642 trigger. A lot of dry fire seems to have helped. I'm cautious about trigger jobs on wheel guns. I sent a K frame to the factory for a PC trigger job and received a nice trigger that wouldn't ignite primers reliably. Sample size of 1, etc. etc.

btw: Desantis pocket holster is too big for a lot of my pockets (32 inch waist). I much prefer a pocket holster I purchased from Walmart. I think it's a Uncle Mikes.
    Last edited by Mark D; 06-27-2019 at 11:23 PM.

Name:  IMG_6256.jpg
Views: 616
Size:  42.2 KB

Picked it up from my FFL tonight. The trigger is super smooth to my uneducated little experience with revolvers. I’ll leave it as is for now but still am kicking around the Apex kit.

Grips need to change. These cheap ones are convenient to just slide into a belt if you dont want a holster I suppose but that’s not for me and they feel odd to me. Not sure what I want to go with yet as there are so many types it seems.

Pocket holster and AIWB rig will be ordered soon as well.

Orange tester paint will be put on the front sight, can’t do anything about the blacked out rear sight on it. Otherwise its just going to be getting out to shoot it a bunch and dry fire a bunch until my PD’s next range day and I can qual with it.

Thanks DB and others on the purchase advice to go with the PC job.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by cmbarny2 View Post
    Grips need to change. These cheap ones are convenient to just slide into a belt if you dont want a holster I suppose but that’s not for me and they feel odd to me. Not sure what I want to go with yet as there are so many types it seems.

Pocket holster and AIWB rig will be ordered soon as well.
    If you haven't combed through the J-Frame Picture Thread, you should. The pics spawned a lot of quick exchanges that turned it from a wonderful show off thread to a genuine j-frame resource, IMHO.

So. I picked up my gun today, walked out to the car to play with it a bit and the trigger won’t reset. I pull the trigger, and as I release it, it’s getting stuck part way out...... I assume this is wrong, is this a send it back wrong? (There’s also a couple knocks in the finish, which isn’t the end of the world).

I tried posting a video but can’t. Here’s where the trigger releases to. I can push it back out manually but then it goes right back to this.

Quote Originally Posted by BK14 View Post
    So. I picked up my gun today, walked out to the car to play with it a bit and the trigger won’t reset. I pull the trigger, and as I release it, it’s getting stuck part way out...... I assume this is wrong, is this a send it back wrong? (There’s also a couple knocks in the finish, which isn’t the end of the world).

I tried posting a video but can’t. Here’s where the trigger releases to. I can push it back out manually but then it goes right back to this.

And it’s a PC gun to boot. That’s so disappointing.

My 43c had very sluggish return on the first cylinder but that went away quickly.
    Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    Oh man, that's right. I forgot that some people feel like they need light SA triggers in DA guns instead of just learning to shoot the gun better. You can get a Redhawk DA trigger pull down to 10 lbs, and if you can't manage that you suck and should probably just practice more.
    *RS Regulate Affiliate*

Quote Originally Posted by Hizzie View Post
    And it’s a PC gun to boot. That’s so disappointing.

My 43c had very sluggish return on the first cylinder but that went away quickly.
    No rounds through it, but lots of trigger pulls with the same result.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Something in shipping got into the action? I would take it home and blow it out with canned air and if that didn't fix it, be on the phone post haste.

This was not noticed when doing pre-purchase inspection? Check with the gun shop see if they will handle it for you first. Good luck!

Right on the phone with S&W. Sadly, there is another PC gun on the S&W forum right now that is an abortion. I get regular Smith’s having a lemon now and then....any of this coming out of the Performance Center is pure garbage. When I pay a premium for a PC gun, I expect better.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

Quote Originally Posted by eb07 View Post
    Something in shipping got into the action? I would take it home and blow it out with canned air and if that didn't fix it, be on the phone post haste.

This was not noticed when doing pre-purchase inspection? Check with the gun shop see if they will handle it for you first. Good luck!
    Shop was just an FFL transfer. Trigger pull didn’t start doing this until maybe 20 trigger pulls.

Quote Originally Posted by Dagga Boy View Post
    Right on the phone with S&W. Sadly, there is another PC gun on the S&W forum right now that is an abortion. I get regular Smith’s having a lemon now and then....any of this coming out of the Performance Center is pure garbage. When I pay a premium for a PC gun, I expect better.

Yeah, that’s what I was afraid of. I was a little apprehensive about CDNN, but didn’t expect this. I’ve come to just anticipate my guns not working or breaking at some point. I’ve broken almost every one of my duty or training guns at this point, which is why I’m adamant about carrying a backup.

Anyone have a particular point of contact?

User Tag List