Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: New J-frame backup gun advice

Quote Originally Posted by Blades View Post
    True, a M&P 340 would only get 38's but I liked having the option for .357. I think a new 442 is cheaper than that 360j and I wanted hammerless.

Thank you for your help.
    Looks like that one may actually be a .357. Here’s one in .357 that has the same type of cylinder as the one in your pic:

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/826914894

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by TC215 View Post
    Looks like that one may actually be a .357. Here’s one in .357 that has the same type of cylinder as the one in your pic:

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/826914894
    Yep, looks the same. I'll have to ask for a picture of the other side and the serial number. I'd still prefer hammerless. I'd want to have the hammer bobbed on the 360j.
    --Jason--

Yesterday the LE rep said that he had the shop take care of the issue, and it’s being packaged to be sent back to me. So, fingers are crossed. As soon as I get it I’ll post up the results.

Then all I have to do is drag 3 more coworkers to the revolver train so I can get a transition school approved.....

Quote Originally Posted by BK14 View Post
    Yesterday the LE rep said that he had the shop take care of the issue, and it’s being packaged to be sent back to me. So, fingers are crossed. As soon as I get it I’ll post up the results.

Then all I have to do is drag 3 more coworkers to the revolver train so I can get a transition school approved.....
    So, I can't help but wonder as I have been thinking of recommending one of these for a dear friend... should they expect problems upon receipt or is this sort of this considered a rarity from Smith & Wesson QC at this point?

Also, should it need to be sent back, it sure seems like they won't be in a hurry to turn it around... which is definitely not cool considering this piece would be immediately put into service with nothing else to replace it with should it not be in working condition.

This sort of thing does not make it easy recommending S&W J-Frames to them at this point and just going LCR from here forward, but it is a bit bigger overall sadly. From what I have heard of Ruger CS, they go above and beyond when there's any problem that crops up with quick turnaround.

Quote Originally Posted by Thy.Will.Be.Done View Post
    So, I can't help but wonder as I have been thinking of recommending one of these for a dear friend... should they expect problems upon receipt or is this sort of this considered a rarity from Smith & Wesson QC at this point?

Also, should it need to be sent back, it sure seems like they won't be in a hurry to turn it around... which is definitely not cool considering this piece would be immediately put into service with nothing else to replace it with should it not be in working condition.

This sort of thing does not make it easy recommending S&W J-Frames to them at this point and just going LCR from here forward, but it is a bit bigger overall sadly. From what I have heard of Ruger CS, they go above and beyond when there's any problem that crops up with quick turnaround.
    The 360j that I returned left Georgia with a prepaid shipping label and returned to Georgia in less than 10 days.

Nothing wrong with hammers.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by Thy.Will.Be.Done View Post

My only experience is my own. Personally, knowing what I know now, if I could go to a store and handle the gun I was buying, I’d feel pretty confident about getting a Smith and Wesson. The J-frame is iconic, but I’m not sure that there is much performance difference to the LCR.

My gun is just waiting for me to pick up, so we’ll see if it’s good to go now.

My understanding is a 1.5 month wait for warrant isn’t normal, but a circumstance of their shut-down.

I'm not bashing j-frames, I'm just sharing an interesting sample of 3 j's owned by my friend Mike who'd suffered a back injury and found himself living the j-frame lifestyle 'cause it just hurt less.

First he bought a 442 Power Port, took it to the range, fired, reloaded and couldn't close the cylinder as the crane had come loose & needed tightened. No problems since, but it irked him that it happened in the first couple hundred rounds.

We both bought 442 PC-tune models when CDNN had them on sale last fall. We shot them together, a quick 100rds of wc's each, then straight to Mike's place to get into suits and ties to attend our chosen brother's wedding. I gave both pistols a quick wipe down and I'll be damned if Mike's wouldn't close because the ejector rod had come loose and needed tightened.

A little while back, I went full LCR and Mike wanted my 442 so he'd have a matched set. He really liked the grips I'd gotten from another PF'er and began carrying that 442 as his primary. Last week, he was at another friend's house, one who is fairly new to shooting and ccw and as so often happens, the talk turned to guns. The friend had never fired a revolver (I know, I know, I blame the parents when I hear this kinda stuff.) so Mike unloads his 442 and hands it over. The friend dry fires it a few times and asks Mike if it's supposed to do this?

This, being a trigger locked to the rear and absolutely refusing to budge until Mike disassembled it later that night. I urged him to get a shipping label from S&W, he said the problem intrigued him too much and he'd be watching a lot of youtube and looking into it himself. He added that his edc was once again a G19 as he had a long and unblemished track record with his Glocks.

This is kind of disheartening (seeing the numbers of issues members here are having with current production S&W's).

I haven't purchased a new S&W revolver in a long time. I still carry my 640 (purchased in 1992) and it's a remarkable albeit heavy little gun. I would like to pick up a 642 as I have had a set of Barami Hip grips set aside for one for more than a decade now (to match the 640 in my waistband as I type this).

I absolutely love the pair of LCR's I picked up this year (.22 & .38). Their light weight, reliability, and shoot-ability coupled with the remarkably easy sight replacement makes me one happy camper. I would love to have the option of a Barami hip grip-like attachment for the LCR's that wouldn't interfere with pocket carry. That's an aspect of my 640 that I've grown to love (being able to switch from pocket to belt with no fuss as needed).

I have historically been a fan of S&W's, so, as I mentioned, this is disheartening. I'm just happy I found such a great local deal on my LCR's.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie View Post
    I would love to have the option of a Barami hip grip-like attachment for the LCR's that wouldn't interfere with pocket carry. That's an aspect of my 640 that I've grown to love (being able to switch from pocket to belt with no fuss as needed).
    Maybe a Clip Draw? (Couldn't find a smaller image, lo siento.)

Name:  LCR Clip Draw.jpg
Views: 615
Size:  40.1 KB
    Last edited by Gun Mutt; 08-30-2019 at 08:25 AM.

User Tag List