Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: New J-frame backup gun advice

Quote Originally Posted by Dagga Boy View Post
    You need to get some revolver specific training and apply some time. With that, they are very useful.

Is there a significant disadvantage to just using the aforementioned J-frame for taking a class instead of something like a K frame?

I’ll start looking for a vetted revolver instructor coming to Arizona. Thanks for the suggestions.

@BK14, I have a fairly recent production S&W 642 PC and it is excellent, barrel wasn't clocked so it shoots straight, the action is smooth and it has been reliable. Besides DB said go for it minus grips so that's about as much approval as I think one needs here.

Quote Originally Posted by BK14 View Post
    Is there a significant disadvantage to just using the aforementioned J-frame for taking a class instead of something like a K frame?

I’ll start looking for a vetted revolver instructor coming to Arizona. Thanks for the suggestions.
    Lightweight j frame would be more fatiguing and require more reloads.
    Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    Oh man, that's right. I forgot that some people feel like they need light SA triggers in DA guns instead of just learning to shoot the gun better. You can get a Redhawk DA trigger pull down to 10 lbs, and if you can't manage that you suck and should probably just practice more.
    *RS Regulate Affiliate*

Shooting a lot of rounds out of a lightweight J frame over a short time period is lacking in fun. Use anything more powerful than wadcutters and you will be very sore. That is the reason a lot of folks recommend having a steel frame gun for training and practice to go along with the lightweight for carry. Goes double if your lightweight has a titanium cylinder. Even wadcutters will add up. I personally prefer the Ti cylinder guns for pocket carry, but I have steel guns for shooting/training. For an all round J if I could only have one, I think the 642/442 is currently the best compromise.

If I had a K along with the lightweight J frame, I'd shoot the the J until fatigue or pain ensued, then switch to the larger gun.
    The first indication a bad guy should have that I'm dangerous is when his
    disembodied soul is looking down at his own corpse wondering what happened.

You near Phoenix.....I know a guy...:-).
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

You just missed Chuck Haggard teaching just such a class last March in Casa Grande.

And as some folks already commented, shooting a j-frame for more than a couple of hundred rounds is tough. I did ECQC one time around 2006 when the round count was up around 400 with a 642, and my hands hurt for days after. I can shoot my 2" M10 for hundreds a rounds in a day with no effect at all, but going smaller is a pain in the ass. When Chuck did his Pocket Rocket class here, he made sure there was a bit extra down time between stages of fire so no one got beat up.
    Last edited by Cecil Burch; 06-21-2019 at 11:31 AM.
    For info about training or to contact me:
    Immediate Action Combatives

I’m in the east valley, so right there next to Phoenix.

Of course I missed Chuck Haggard!

I’ll definitely be using the J-frame to take the CCH class from you again Cecil.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    My level of proficiency is essentially zero. I’ve used revolvers intermittently like when shooting my grandfather’s revolver as a kid, but have no formal training on them, and basically no knowledge outside of reading this forum.

I had the unique “opportunity” to use a S&W Model 66 3” to shoot sims at recruits a few months ago when my unit volunteered to assist with simmunition night at the academy (our range budget was cut, so they couldn’t afford enough 9mm sim rounds for the recruits and actors, so we got the old 38 spl sims from back in the day). My first scenario shooting at a recruit, the DA trigger threw me, and I’m pretty sure I missed every shot. It got better as the night went on, but I’m well aware of my limitations. Which is part of wanting the revolver. I’ve never trained a DA trigger, and would enjoy the opportunity to learn a new system.

There is no way I would carry a piece of life-saving equipment without first vetting it, training extensively, and vetting my own skills. That being said, I work with way to many guys that would strap on the newest toy and call it good. Because we know best. (We also have a revolver transition course, which I assume is probably a joke in reality).

Like I said, very little experience, so please I’m very open to learning more! No, none of my current duty weapons have lasers, they’re prohibited by policy, and since I don’t run a shield, I can’t see their efficacy for my use. The reason I wanted the option of a laser is just from lack of knowledge on how these sights fare at night. If the sights are that hard to pick up at night, it’d be nice to at least have the option of trying something like a laser.

The biggest point pulling me to the LCR is the ability to throw a tritium front sight on it. In my limited experience with the LCR (only dry fire) it felt like the trigger had more stacking than the Smith. Is this what you were referring to in it being similar to my Glocks? And if so, is that a benefit?

Thanks again for taking the time to post. It’s much appreciated. I’m unfortunately chilling out on light duty, so I have plenty of time to consider these things!
    I put a tritium on my LCR and it's seriously less than a 5 minute job counting getting the tool out. Knock out a roll pin, swap, knock in a roll pin. It does change the sight picture, though.

If lasers are prohibited (and they are for us as well) then I certainly wouldn't use that as a decision point. Some folks like them, some don't. I am pretty ambivalent, but no longer own any.

My point on the trigger was simply it'll feel more familiar. I like to keep things same- same when I can. I enjoy other revolvers, too, but the LCR is my for serious use snubby. Again, there's other good options. It's not Excalibur, after all. I just prefer the sight availability, the squishy recoil absorbing grip, and the cammed trigger feel. You may not. I know on higher round count days when some other users are having to tape blisters, I didn't and I think the Hogue squishy grip was a big part of that.

I think it's generally easier to transition from a revolver to a Glock as opposed to the other direction, but it's certainly doable. Like DB says, it's its own beast, though.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

I’ll definitely be using the J-frame to take the CCH class from you again Cecil.

Cool! Let me know as far in advance as possible and I will see about getting some 38sp UTM rounds for you to use.
    For info about training or to contact me:
    Immediate Action Combatives

There is a more pocketable boot grip for the LCR. http://shopruger.com/Hogue-LCR-Banta...uctinfo/19927/
    Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    Oh man, that's right. I forgot that some people feel like they need light SA triggers in DA guns instead of just learning to shoot the gun better. You can get a Redhawk DA trigger pull down to 10 lbs, and if you can't manage that you suck and should probably just practice more.
    *RS Regulate Affiliate*

User Tag List