Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: New J-frame backup gun advice

New J-frame backup gun advice

Hey everyone, looking for input on a new backup gun.

After never wanting a revolver, I listened to the j-frame modcast, and now I’m itching for a snubbie. I currently carry a Glock 34 on duty, with a Glock 26 in my pocket as a backup, but the reality is that it’s heavy, bulky, and the speed of draw is abysmal. I’d really like to switch to a snubbie for my on-duty backup, and sometimes to supplement my off duty Glock 19 or 48 I typically carry.

So here’s the conundrum I’m having:
    - I like the LCR, but the lack of crimson trace for the boot grips or VZ grips, and the slightly larger size make me think it’s a no-go.

- I prefer the black finish of the 442 over the 642, but sweat out acid and live in the desert, so the carbon cylinder makes me nervous.

- Per policy, as long as the dept armorers do the work, I can have the ILS removed, and the Wilson/Apex spring kit installed.

So here’s the questions:

- Are my concerns for rusting the carbon steel cylinder of the 442 crazy?

- Just get a 442/642 and have my department do the work to delete the lock/swap out springs?

- Get the 442 Performance Center gun that CDNN is selling with the PC trigger job, no lock, and a stainless cylinder? (I’d trash the grips for a real set)

Thanks a ton for any help!

- Mack

ETA: Apparently the 442 PC I’m referring to is the Chattanooga exclusive model, but CDNN has it currently for 399. I dig the contrasting cylinder, but that could just be the millennial talking.
    Last edited by BK14; 06-21-2019 at 09:33 AM.

Get the 442 PC and grips. Be aware that I love the VZ’s but they are heavy. For what you want it should be a “one and done” snub.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

Quote Originally Posted by Dagga Boy View Post
    Get the 442 PC and grips. Be aware that I love the VZ’s but they are heavy. For what you want it should be a “one and done” snub.
    Exactly the person I was hoping would respond. Thank you sir.

No major issues with the PC guns you’re aware of? Do you have a different grip recommendation?

Thanks!

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BK14 View Post
    After never wanting a revolver, I listened to the j-frame modcast, and now I’m itching for a snubbie.
    Just a thought, but do you know your level of proficiency with a snubbie? Any snubbie-specific training that you've taken or that's available to you? It's one thing to want a new toy because somebody made a convincing case and you're up for something new. It's another to immediately make it life-saving equipment.

Quote Originally Posted by BK14 View Post
    - I like the LCR, but the lack of crimson trace for the boot grips or VZ grips, and the slightly larger size make me think it’s a no-go.
    It's smaller than your Glock 26 by a good margin and the trigger is closer to a Glock than the S&W offerings are, IMO. From your first statement of never wanting a revolver I'm assuming you don't have much experience with them, so forgive me if I'm telling you things you already know. Does your 26 have a laser? Your duty weapon? I don't know that I'd weight availability of a laser very highly for a backup gun.

The LCR is also set up to allow the front sight to be changed very easily. If you want a fiber optic, a night sight, whatever you can do it yourself in a couple minutes. There are several good options on the market, mind you, I just wouldn't dismiss the LCR until you tried one. IF a revolver is really what you want after the coolness of the podcast wears off.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Quote Originally Posted by Dagga Boy View Post
    Get the 442 PC and grips.
    No brainer. A PC action job is worth more than $100.
    Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    Oh man, that's right. I forgot that some people feel like they need light SA triggers in DA guns instead of just learning to shoot the gun better. You can get a Redhawk DA trigger pull down to 10 lbs, and if you can't manage that you suck and should probably just practice more.
    *RS Regulate Affiliate*

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    Just a thought, but do you know your level of proficiency with a snubbie? Any snubbie-specific training that you've taken or that's available to you? It's one thing to want a new toy because somebody made a convincing case and you're up for something new. It's another to immediately make it life-saving equipment.
    My level of proficiency is essentially zero. I’ve used revolvers intermittently like when shooting my grandfather’s revolver as a kid, but have no formal training on them, and basically no knowledge outside of reading this forum.

I had the unique “opportunity” to use a S&W Model 66 3” to shoot sims at recruits a few months ago when my unit volunteered to assist with simmunition night at the academy (our range budget was cut, so they couldn’t afford enough 9mm sim rounds for the recruits and actors, so we got the old 38 spl sims from back in the day). My first scenario shooting at a recruit, the DA trigger threw me, and I’m pretty sure I missed every shot. It got better as the night went on, but I’m well aware of my limitations. Which is part of wanting the revolver. I’ve never trained a DA trigger, and would enjoy the opportunity to learn a new system.

There is no way I would carry a piece of life-saving equipment without first vetting it, training extensively, and vetting my own skills. That being said, I work with way to many guys that would strap on the newest toy and call it good. Because we know best. (We also have a revolver transition course, which I assume is probably a joke in reality).

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    It's smaller than your Glock 26 by a good margin and the trigger is closer to a Glock than the S&W offerings are, IMO. From your first statement of never wanting a revolver I'm assuming you don't have much experience with them, so forgive me if I'm telling you things you already know. Does your 26 have a laser? Your duty weapon? I don't know that I'd weight availability of a laser very highly for a backup gun.

The LCR is also set up to allow the front sight to be changed very easily. If you want a fiber optic, a night sight, whatever you can do it yourself in a couple minutes. There are several good options on the market, mind you, I just wouldn't dismiss the LCR until you tried one. IF a revolver is really what you want after the coolness of the podcast wears off.

Like I said, very little experience, so please I’m very open to learning more! No, none of my current duty weapons have lasers, they’re prohibited by policy, and since I don’t run a shield, I can’t see their efficacy for my use. The reason I wanted the option of a laser is just from lack of knowledge on how these sights fare at night. If the sights are that hard to pick up at night, it’d be nice to at least have the option of trying something like a laser.

The biggest point pulling me to the LCR is the ability to throw a tritium front sight on it. In my limited experience with the LCR (only dry fire) it felt like the trigger had more stacking than the Smith. Is this what you were referring to in it being similar to my Glocks? And if so, is that a benefit?

Thanks again for taking the time to post. It’s much appreciated. I’m unfortunately chilling out on light duty, so I have plenty of time to consider these things!
    Last edited by BK14; 06-21-2019 at 10:02 AM.

Two coats of white followed by two coats of your preferred high visibility color will help that front sight greatly. Unfortunately S&W has nothing even near that price range with an interchangeable front sight.

I went APEX over WC for 2 reasons but most importantly the kit includes an extended firing pin. The kit has a solid reputation. I can tell you that when you put those reduced power springs into an already smooth action it’s unbelievable.

The DAO trigger isn’t that hard to learn. You just have to keep from trying to ride the reset like a Glock. Make sure the trigger fully comes forward before pulling again so you don’t short stroke it.

Caleb on triggers:
    IGTV so don’t think I can link like usual.
    https://www.instagram.com/tv/ByTR5Iu...d=n0cyztsimiq5
    Oh man, that's right. I forgot that some people feel like they need light SA triggers in DA guns instead of just learning to shoot the gun better. You can get a Redhawk DA trigger pull down to 10 lbs, and if you can't manage that you suck and should probably just practice more.
    *RS Regulate Affiliate*

Quote Originally Posted by Hizzie View Post

Caleb on triggers:
    IGTV so don’t think I can link like usual.
    https://www.instagram.com/tv/ByTR5Iu...d=n0cyztsimiq5

Thanks for the tip on the paint. I’ve tried that with Heinie sights with good results.

I generally don’t shoot to reset with my Glocks, so I’m hoping the DAO won’t be too sharp a learning curve, but we’ll see.

With a PC trigger, do I still need/want to throw the Apex trigger guts into it? Policy just says the trigger pull must be at least 8lbs.

What’s the username for the IG video?
    Last edited by BK14; 06-21-2019 at 10:30 AM.

radicaleb_

https://instagram.com/radicaleb_?igshid=1vn31ncg1l8o6

To APEX or not will be up to you after you get it. You might find the PC job sufficient. I suspect it will be very smooth but retain full factory weight springs.

There are several gunsmiths that can do a custom front sight with tritium.

Don Williams of The Action Works did my old BUG.
    http://instagram.com/p/BYI2IGmDYwl/
    *RS Regulate Affiliate*

We all had to learn to shoot them. The key we have found with the “Glock raised kids” is you need to find a very good older instructor who carried a revolver for real and get some revolver specifically training. Here is the key....the two things in the picture are not the same. They compliment very well with each one’s strengths versus weaknesses. With that, you don’t hold them the same, press the trigger the same, or manipulate them the same. You are an adaptable human who can drive both a truck and a compact rental car. You need to get some revolver specific training and apply some time. With that, they are very useful.
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

User Tag List