Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: New J-frame backup gun advice

Quote Originally Posted by Dagga Boy View Post
    It’s honestly hard to tell sometimes as they vary, but for an LE backup, an all factory gun is the way to go if you can and for the money, the PC 442 is the way to go.
    Do you mean the PC guns vary from gun to gun? The CDNN price on it right now is pretty good but looking around online does't lead me to believe the 442PC has had great QC since its introduction, is that the case or is it just the internet blowing things up?

Also should note, I'm not opposed to things not being all factory for carry guns for either my duty or off duty. This will be a backup on duty and a pocket/quick trip off duty gun more than anything. It will hopefully be replacing my G43 that I'm not overly fond of.
    Last edited by cmbarny2; 06-24-2019 at 09:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by cmbarny2 View Post
    DB How much does the Performance Center Action Job help above having just a normal Apex Spring kit installed on a 442?
    The spring kits will lighten the pull. A good action job will make everything smooth, which is what you really want. I only have one gun with a performance center action job, and that is a 4566 pistol. Amazing trigger. The only other "professional" action job I have is a S&W 67 that Kerry Freeman did for me when he still worked at Cheshire and Perez in Monrovia, CA. Haven't felt one better. I've done all the triggers on my other S&W revolvers. Replaced the rebound slide springs with S&W factory SA rebound springs which were slightly lighter. Usually shortened the mainspring screw a little. This needs to be done in conjunction with good stoning of moving parts. Once action is smooth, it will need less force (spring tension) to work well than a rough one. Didn't notice any impact on reliability at the time, but 25-30 years later I'm seeing some failures to fire in a couple of my guns with shortened mainspring screws. Another trick in tuning S&W revolvers is to make sure that the cylinder is in proper alignment, which aids in getting a good trigger pull. LOTS of S&W's produced in the '70s and '80s were not properly aligned right from the factory.
    The first indication a bad guy should have that I'm dangerous is when his
    disembodied soul is looking down at his own corpse wondering what happened.

Quote Originally Posted by LtDave View Post
    The spring kits will lighten the pull. A good action job will make everything smooth, which is what you really want. I only have one gun with a performance center action job, and that is a 4566 pistol. Amazing trigger. The only other "professional" action job I have is a S&W 67 that Kerry Freeman did for me when he still worked at Cheshire and Perez in Monrovia, CA. Haven't felt one better. I've done all the triggers on my other S&W revolvers. Replaced the rebound slide springs with S&W factory SA rebound springs which were slightly lighter. Usually shortened the mainspring screw a little. This needs to be done in conjunction with good stoning of moving parts. Once action is smooth, it will need less force (spring tension) to work well than a rough one. Didn't notice any impact on reliability at the time, but 25-30 years later I'm seeing some failures to fire in a couple of my guns with shortened mainspring screws. Another trick in tuning S&W revolvers is to make sure that the cylinder is in proper alignment, which aids in getting a good trigger pull. LOTS of S&W's produced in the '70s and '80s were not properly aligned right from the factory.

The issue I'm seeing around the interwebs seems to be poor QC for it being performance center tuned. Seems multiple people saying they have crooked front sights and cylinders locking up. I have no issue spending the extra $100 but more or less not looking to get a lemon for what's supposed to be from their more custom or premium line.

My experience with Performance Center custom work is from the early '90s. I am very picky as to who works on my handguns, especially revolvers. If you start with a revolver that is well set up, the resulting action can be amazing. If you start with one that has a bunch of tolerance stacking or other issues, it won't come out as nice. The advantage the Performance Center has is access to whole boxes full of parts to mix and match when fitting it up to correct "issues".
    The first indication a bad guy should have that I'm dangerous is when his
    disembodied soul is looking down at his own corpse wondering what happened.

J-frame ordered. Thank you all for the help, looking forward to learning the new system.

While I’ve got y’all, since I’m in the dark on revolvers, are there any recommendations for a pocket holster, as well as a gym-shorts type appendix rig? I’ve seen the Phlster, DSG, Harry, and veil Holsters. Phlster has no DCC clip option, but can be retrofitted.

The desantis nemesis seemed like an easy into to pocket holsters, and would be ambi. I’ve got an Aholster for my 26 that I like, but if there’s a lower profile or better option I’d like to hear.

Thanks again for all the help. Much appreciated, and the culture in the revolver forum is awesome!

Safariland 25 and Mika get lots of mentions.

I have a DSG that is pretty awesome, it is from a few years ago and for the SP101. I just picked up a Harry’s for my 43c but haven’t had much time with it.
    Last edited by Hizzie; 06-24-2019 at 09:56 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    Oh man, that's right. I forgot that some people feel like they need light SA triggers in DA guns instead of just learning to shoot the gun better. You can get a Redhawk DA trigger pull down to 10 lbs, and if you can't manage that you suck and should probably just practice more.
    *RS Regulate Affiliate*

Uncle Mike's size 3. Used every day for years, like to get nicer one but it won't quit.

Quote Originally Posted by DueSpada View Post
    Uncle Mike's size 3. Used every day for years, like to get nicer one but it won't quit.
    Same here. I carry my 442 in my offside pants pocket as a backup. My first UM size 3 finally got replaced after 12 years of carry, with another UM size 3.
    For he is the minister of God to thee for good. But if thou do that which is evil, be afraid; for he beareth not the sword in vain: for he is the minister of God, a revenger to execute wrath upon him that doeth evil. Romans 13:4 KJV

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by BK14 View Post
    J-frame ordered. Thank you all for the help, looking forward to learning the new system.

While I’ve got y’all, since I’m in the dark on revolvers, are there any recommendations for a pocket holster, as well as a gym-shorts type appendix rig? I’ve seen the Phlster, DSG, Harry, and veil Holsters. Phlster has no DCC clip option, but can be retrofitted.

The desantis nemesis seemed like an easy into to pocket holsters, and would be ambi. I’ve got an Aholster for my 26 that I like, but if there’s a lower profile or better option I’d like to hear.

Thanks again for all the help. Much appreciated, and the culture in the revolver forum is awesome!
    Aholster Backbone.

Site Supporter
    Alright I am all in looking for a snubbie. I am not inexperienced with revolvers, but it has been over a decade since I owned one.

Ruger LCR 9mm is leading the list, since I get 9mm practice and duty ammo from work for free in modest amounts. But it costs as much as a G26.5 brand new. Gun broker gets them for under $400 monthly or so.

The S&W638 is next, 99.9% of the time I believe in a double action revolver, but that .1% I can and have taken advantage of being able to thumb cock a revolver for the incredibly rare, incredibly high percentage shot.

The S&W Centennial types (442, 642) are goof proof....

Not quite the same guy as the OP....

Damn you all for leading me to Aimsurplus.

@Dagga Boy

Thanks,

pat
    Last edited by UNM1136; 06-27-2019 at 01:15 PM.

User Tag List