Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Do you trust people who don’t like Dogs ? (and Vice Versa)

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    Like most commensal relationships - the evolution of dog-human interactions is a complex back and forth. Dogs and cats are smart animals, for that matter so are rats. Learning to live in harmony with creatures that keep you fed and protect you and vice versa is a solid evolutionary strategy.

It’s also fascinating to me that dog domestication clearly happened multiple times during human history.

When La Salle reached the interior of the US and began going uo the Mississippi, they realized that natives used dog travois to move trade goods. In fact travois trails clearly existed criss-crossing North America in trade routes long before a white person set foot in North America. But by that point, dogs had been domesticated in Eurasia for probably 2000+ years. They had probably been domesticated in North America for the same amount of time. Maybe longer, but there doesn’t seem to be much evidence of dog domestication in South America, suggesting a more recent origination.
    https://www.theatlantic.com/science/...Bq4rbBnef81yK8

Dogs’ Eyes Have Changed Since Humans Befriended Them
    Two specialized muscles give them a range of expression that wolves’ eyes lack.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Balisong View Post
    Huge dog lover so no and mostly no.

I say mostly no to the 2nd part cuz my current dog doesn't trust anyone when he first meets them, including my parents and other people that dogs usually love right off the bat. Maybe he's just a bit of a dick, but he adores me and my gf.
    Or maybe he is just smarter than most dogs (and people).

Site Supporter
    @Dan_S

It could be mirroring in combination with reacting to the odor of fight or flight horomones you might be releasing which creates a weird negative feedback loop. And yeah, if you were the victim of a serious dog attack as a child getting an adrenal dump when your around them doesn’t sound too far fetched.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan_S View Post
    Oddly, coming from an agricultural/rural background...I find very few folks coming off farms/ranches holding this view, as well. It tends to be those from urban and suburban backgrounds that hold dogs as some sort of grand judge of...well...anything.
    Grew up in a rural area playing in farm fields and a 12,000 acre wildlife preserve abutting our property. We thought dogs were pretty awesome. They were for work and didn't live in the house, but they still garnered a lot of respect. We also had a special bond to dogs, so maybe that makes a difference. My grandfather that I grew up with was a bird dog trainer and had a national champion whose bloodline is still being used by a breeder on the other side of the country.

My cousin who basically grew up with me on the weekends for hunting, also grew up in a rural farm area and has a thing for dogs and holds them in high regard. His current dog is his work partner and eats bad people.

We ran over one of our neighbors dogs one day. He was a farmer on a 4-500 acre farm. He cried and carried the dog away sobbing. IDK...…..seemed to hold the dog in high regard from what I could tell.
    Last edited by TGS; 06-21-2019 at 01:23 AM.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

I do not fear dogs or possess hostile reactions regarding them, but I am generally apathetic regarding the entire pet micro-culture. When I think of all of the work and expense that some invest I realize that there is no possibility that I am built to take on such a hobby.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post

This begs the question: Do you trust people who don’t like dogs ? How about people dogs don’t like ?

No and no for me.
    I don't trust people period.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Sidheshooter View Post
    This, and this.

There is also a theory gaining legs that canine ancestors domesticated our ancestors, and not the other way around. So all those people (including me) who say they like most dogs more than most people may well have historical precedent for the feelings.
    https://www.theatlantic.com/science/...f-dogs/484976/

-not worth arguing reality with those unaccustomed to it-
    Last edited by Dan_S; 06-21-2019 at 02:09 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan_S View Post
    -not worth arguing reality with those unaccustomed to it-
    OoooOOOOooo….someone's having a hissyfit!

Respond by insinuating that you are the sole possessor of knowledge and any grasp on reality. Always a solid play.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Attached Images Attached Images  
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

User Tag List