Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Do you trust people who don’t like Dogs ? (and Vice Versa)

Site Supporter

Do you trust people who don’t like Dogs ? (and Vice Versa)

This begs the question: Do you trust people who don’t like dogs ? How about people dogs don’t like ?

No and no for me.

Never. Dogs know stuff.

Yeah...sure...

Dogs hate me. I hate them.

I think we’re even.

As one of my earliest memories is of a dog attack, which has been reinforced time and time again throughout my life, I get very frustrated with people espousing views of their bueatiful little pooches seventeenth sense or whatever.

Oddly, coming from an agricultural/rural background...I find very few folks coming off farms/ranches holding this view, as well. It tends to be those from urban and suburban backgrounds that hold dogs as some sort of grand judge of...well...anything.

I guess eating fecal matter, roadkill, and vomit, along with chasing cars, skunks, and your own tail...comes with possessing a highly evolved emotional state...
    Last edited by Dan_S; 06-21-2019 at 12:09 AM.

Is there a way to block users on this forum?

Quote Originally Posted by Dan_S View Post
    Dogs don’t hate you.

You hate them and project fear in your interactions with them. Dogs are creatures that communicate via body language and aggression. They’re pack animals. When you approach a dog belonging to someone else with a negative vibe, they’ll protect themselves and the pack.

At best they’ll stand off with you. Letting you know you aren’t welcome with that attitude.

Which, by the by, is why dogs are good judges of character in many respects. Their pack instincts pick up on attitudes, tones, and body language, that a human will tend to ignore.

Note the last wors, ignore. Many humans see the signs, they just choose to ignore them for whatever reason. Dogs do nothing of the sort. They aren’t tuned to human social interactions to understand what may or may not be culturally relevant to ignore. They see - threat - possible threat - no threat - and act accordingly.

-

So yea, I trust my dog, or just about any dog’s instincts especially because they usually jibe with my own. However, there are exceptions. There are stupid dogs like stupid humans that have largely lost their predator/pack instincts (think dogs bred for lap sitting and not much else). They aren’t to be trusted.

Yeah...sure...

I think we’re even.

As one of my earliest memories is of a dog attack, which has been reinforced time and time again throughout my life, I get very frustrated with people espousing views of their bueatiful little pooches seventeenth sense or whatever.

Oddly, coming from an agricultural/rural background...I find very few folks coming off farms/ranches holding this view, as well. It tends to be those from urban and suburban backgrounds that hold dogs as some sort of grand judge of...well...anything.

I guess eating fecal matter, roadkill, and vomit, along with chasing cars, skunks, and your own tail...comes with possessing a highly evolved emotional state...
    I've got a lot of ranch neighbors and friends whom would disagree with you vehemently regarding a dog's sense of things/people amiss. Spend some time around SAR dogs and see if you don't observe behavior that gives you reason to wonder about their psych abilities.

Site Supporter
    Yeah...sure...

I think we’re even.

I don’t know about a highly evolved emotional state but dogs are highly evolved to read people via body language and other forms of non verbal communication. Like a cross between an FBI Profiler and a Pro poker player good.

Non verbal cues are real and a wealth of information. There is a reason good LE interviews are a team effort consisting of the actual interviewer(s) and another LEO or two doing nothing but watching the non verbals.

I think RR is right about them just mirroring back what they are reading from you.

Dogs also have keen senses, and have filled the early warning / sentry role for time immemorial.
    Last edited by HCM; 06-21-2019 at 12:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post

No and no for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by TCB View Post
    Never. Dogs know stuff.
    This, and this.

There is also a theory gaining legs that canine ancestors domesticated our ancestors, and not the other way around. So all those people (including me) who say they like most dogs more than most people may well have historical precedent for the feelings.
    Last edited by Totem Polar; 06-21-2019 at 12:29 AM.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Quote Originally Posted by Sidheshooter View Post
    This, and this.

There is also a theory gaining legs that canine ancestors domesticated our ancestors, and not the other way around. So all those people (including me) who say they like most dogs more than most people may well have historical precedent for the feelings.
    Like most commensal relationships - the evolution of dog-human interactions is a complex back and forth. Dogs and cats are smart animals, for that matter so are rats. Learning to live in harmony with creatures that keep you fed and protect you and vice versa is a solid evolutionary strategy.

It’s also fascinating to me that dog domestication clearly happened multiple times during human history.

When La Salle reached the interior of the US and began going uo the Mississippi, they realized that natives used dog travois to move trade goods. In fact travois trails clearly existed criss-crossing North America in trade routes long before a white person set foot in North America. But by that point, dogs had been domesticated in Eurasia for probably 2000+ years. They had probably been domesticated in North America for the same amount of time. Maybe longer, but there doesn’t seem to be much evidence of dog domestication in South America, suggesting a more recent origination.

Huge dog lover so no and mostly no.

I say mostly no to the 2nd part cuz my current dog doesn't trust anyone when he first meets them, including my parents and other people that dogs usually love right off the bat. Maybe he's just a bit of a dick, but he adores me and my gf.

User Tag List