Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: Do you trust people who don’t like Dogs ? (and Vice Versa)

I'm dog neutral mostly. I like well mannered and friendly dogs that are good around other dogs and children. I don't like dogs who come with caveats. If I can just chill around a dog and not have to make sure I'm not wearing a certain color it doesn't like or sitting with my arms crossed or any other thing that the dog doesn't like, I like them.

I grew up around dogs where I live, but they were mostly working dogs of some sort and not take to the grocery store dogs. They lived outside but were still considered a part of the family without being viewed as being on par with humans. When they got sick or starting biting people, they were put down by the owners.

The "ooowoo pupper doggo dress them in Halloween costumes" people and the ones that refer to themselves as dog moms and dog dads are the ones I don't trust. If you aren't capable of understanding that the effort, sacrifice, responsibility, and commitment in owning a dog is not even in the same realm as having kids, I wouldn't enjoy spending time with you.

As far as trusting a dogs ability to sense bad people goes, my neighbors have 2 dogs. One is a fantastic Irish Setter/Fox Red Labrador mix, who has been nothing but friendly and playful with my whole family from day one since they moved in. Other than shitting in my yard, it's a wonderful dog to have as a neighbor, it's welcome over here anytime. Their other dog, is some kind of mix. It doesn't like me at all, and hasn't since they moved in. So which dog should they listen to as far as if I can be trusted or not? Maybe it's possible that some dogs, like some people, are just assholes.

We don't own any dogs because they wouldn't fit into our lifestyle very well and it wouldn't be fair to the dogs. Myself and my youngest have pet allergies so they wouldn't be able to be inside the house, and my wife and I both work and are gone most of the day, except lately I've been working from home for the past couple months. I'm not willing to let a dog run loose all day and bother the neighbors while we're not home, and keeping them chained up or in kennels isn't really my thing. Even if I could keep a dog indoors, I wouldn't, it seems kinda like an asshole move to keep your dog cooped up inside your house all day while you're at work.

TL;DR version: I like nice people and nice dogs.
    Last edited by Casual Friday; 06-22-2019 at 11:25 AM.

Dogs are like people, some I like, some I admire, some are annoying, some I think dangerous. (Frex a large "rescue dog." Owner: "She was mistreated and doesn't trust men." Dog: "Grr." That one I will avoid.)
    Code Name: JET STREAM

Site Supporter
    The 'dog days' at breweries and similar events, I dismiss those animals as they are typically fashion accessories. Dogs with training and in-tuned with their owners are a totally different breed, and I trust them quite a bit.

Based on recent history of my life, if a person doesn't like dogs due to one incident or a particular breed, that person is not someone I trust either. They probably like pinning their faults and problems on anything besides themselves.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Casual Friday View Post
    I'm dog neutral mostly. I like well mannered and friendly dogs that are good around other dogs and children. I don't like dogs who come with caveats. If I can just chill around a dog and not have to make sure I'm not wearing a certain color it doesn't like or sitting with my arms crossed or any other thing that the dog doesn't like, I like them.

I grew up around dogs where I live, but they were mostly working dogs of some sort and not take to the grocery store dogs. They lived outside but were still considered a part of the family without being viewed as being on par with humans. When they got sick or starting biting people, they were put down by the owners.

The "ooowoo pupper doggo dress them in Halloween costumes" people and the ones that refer to themselves as dog moms and dog dads are the ones I don't trust. If you aren't capable of understanding that the effort, sacrifice, responsibility, and commitment in owning a dog is not even in the same realm as having kids, I wouldn't enjoy spending time with you.

As far as trusting a dogs ability to sense bad people goes, my neighbors have 2 dogs. One is a fantastic Irish Setter/Fox Red Labrador mix, who has been nothing but friendly and playful with my whole family from day one since they moved in. Other than shitting in my yard, it's a wonderful dog to have as a neighbor, it's welcome over here anytime. Their other dog, is some kind of mix. It doesn't like me at all, and hasn't since they moved in. So which dog should they listen to as far as if I can be trusted or not? Maybe it's possible that some dogs, like some people, are just assholes.

We don't own any dogs because they wouldn't fit into our lifestyle very well and it wouldn't be fair to the dogs. Myself and my youngest have pet allergies so they wouldn't be able to be inside the house, and my wife and I both work and are gone most of the day, except lately I've been working from home for the past couple months. I'm not willing to let a dog run loose all day and bother the neighbors while we're not home, and keeping them chained up or in kennels isn't really my thing. Even if I could keep a dog indoors, I wouldn't, it seems kinda like an asshole move to keep your dog cooped up inside your house all day while you're at work.

TL;DR version: I like nice people and nice dogs.
    Raising children to be nice, well adjusted adults is almost exactly like raising a puppy except you don’t put them down when they get sick or bite people.

Biting people is normal behavior for feral humans as evidenced by the number of kids videos designed to help curb this behavior. We just train most people out of it.

I agree some dogs, like some people, are just assholes, or damaged, or mentally ill. Along those lines, based on 20 plus years of seeing people at their worst I’m confident if one got a child or a puppy early enough you could make it an unstable, unpleasant and dangerous thing.
    Last edited by HCM; 06-22-2019 at 02:21 PM.

I'm more likely to trust a person who likes dogs AND treats them humanely and responsibly.

There are assholes out there, who may "love" dogs, but still treat them like shit.

Ya, I don't care for those pricks at all.

I generally like dogs, and most of them like me. I choose not to own dogs, so it kinda bothers me that some dog owners behave like it is their right to be intrusive to other people's with their pets outside their homes.

I don't like Fido approaching me on the street while the owner automatically thinks it is normal and great because he is such a lovely beast. Keep your distance, and look for signs that may suggest that contact with your animal is welcomed, or ask. And please pick up your dog shit.

@TGS

I’m quite disappointed that you chose to respond the way you did. We’ve chatted privately, I think you’re a cool chap.

My life experience trumps whatever someone types in a keyboard. If you wanted clarification, ask me. Call me, whatever. This is a big deal to me, because...well, I’m terrified of dogs, and I don’t appreciate how cavalier people are when casting aspersions on this subject.
    Last edited by Dan_S; 06-22-2019 at 05:30 PM.

I trust the judgment of dogs I know. I totally believe the mentions of dogs disliking people who are later found to be whacko's. Daughter had a Dachshund pup who, when I came by to hang out with her and the ex, would climb up on the back of the couch and wrap itself around my neck, tail on one side and nose breathing in my ear. Ex would shake her head and say, "Sick. That's just sick. That dog loved me! Had a partner I worked warrants with who had absolutely no fear of dogs. We'd go into a fenced yard and he'd walk past the dogs and they'd look at him, then swivel heads to me. "Uh,Oh!"
    Last edited by FNFAN; 06-22-2019 at 04:42 PM.
    -All views expressed are those of the author and do not reflect those of the author's employer-

Hammertime

Do you trust people who don’t like Dogs ? (and Vice Versa)

I don’t care for dogs.

But I find the behavior of the dogs I meet tells me a lot about their owners.
    Last edited by Doc_Glock; 06-22-2019 at 06:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan_S View Post
    @TGS

I’m quite disappointed that you chose to respond the way you did.
    Sucks to be you then.

Don't be a dick to everyone by dismissing them as being out of touch with reality then come back with this bullshit about "oh poor me and my life experience" as if you're being victimized. You yourself admit that you're terrified of dogs, but you still let that drive your views on dogs due to your interactions with them. Kind of a self serving prophecy, given that dogs are obviously responding to your behavior towards them.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

User Tag List