Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: MODEL 15 ALERT!!!!

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar

MODEL 15 ALERT!!!! (UNDER $300)

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/817962084

Fifteen minutes left.

EDITED TO ADD: Sold for $255. That's a hell of a deal.
    Last edited by Stephanie B; 06-20-2019 at 08:36 PM.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Site Supporter
    Damn that's a hell of a deal.

Chris

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    No kidding. But I have two Model 15s.

But at $260.... aaarrgghhh. Somebody!!!!
    Last edited by Stephanie B; 06-20-2019 at 08:32 PM.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

I would have bought that if Stephanie recommended it for a first revolver.
    #RESIST

It went cheap because it likely is a basket case; or, at best, a "project gun" for someone so inclined. Whoever refinished it either didn’t know what they were doing, or was trying to cover up or remove a good amount of corrosion. The difference in finish between the barrel and the frame (for instance, the barrel markings remain crisp while all the frame markings are dished--also, the bluing is the characteristic S&W blue while the frame is much darker, indicative of aftermarket hot-bluing); the freckling on the frame (corrosion not polished out), the dished out S&W medallion (buffing wheel?), the blued hammer and trigger (which makes me wonder if the loose timing might be related to the refinisher throwing all the parts in the bluing tank rather than taking the operating parts--particularly the case-hardened parts--out and either re-case hardening them or just leaving them alone after removing corrosion). Just too many questions, in my mind, to make it worth buying as a shooter. For $150 or so more you can find a clean Model 15 if you keep a sharp eye out.
    Last edited by oregon45; 06-20-2019 at 09:07 PM.

I'm a sucker. I would have bought it as a project gun. I would have found a 3" blue steel barrel someplace, and swapped it.

I have a 4" Model 15 and love it. I'd love to have a 3" Model 15. I think it would be a very sweet-handling pistol, especially if you sent it off to be converted to a pair of round-butt Ahrends.

Quote Originally Posted by SeriousStudent View Post
    I'm a sucker. I would have bought it as a project gun. I would have found a 3" blue steel barrel someplace, and swapped it.

I have a 4" Model 15 and love it. I'd love to have a 3" Model 15. I think it would be a very sweet-handling pistol, especially if you sent it off to be converted to a pair of round-butt Ahrends.
    That would be pretty cool; for a 3" barrel, you likely could find a Model 13 barrel floating around and installing a taller front sight would not be a difficult proposition.

Quote Originally Posted by oregon45 View Post
    That would be pretty cool; for a 3" barrel, you likely could find a Model 13 barrel floating around and installing a taller front sight would not be a difficult proposition.
    Hmmmmmm......

Currently the next revolver to be acquired is a 3" round-butt Model 36. But I am thinking I could hunt down a Model 13 barrel as well....

Oh, and DB just sold me an interesting 2" Detective Special in .32 S&W. Handy little thing. Plus I just won a different Gunbroker option for a second .32 Detective Special.

I might even get to shoot that once before my daughter snags it. "Dad, please???"

Not sure a model 13 heavy barrel will fit the frame of a 15 correctly, the front of the 15 frame is rounded to match the lighter tapered profile of the 15 barrel compared to a model 10/13 frame made for the heavy barrel. Theres the sight height thing also. Unless,...the 15 was a later gun with heavy barrel profile.

A cut down 15 barrel would be cool. As would a 2" 15.

Ive watched 15s on GB in the past, one can find fairly decent ones for around $300 if you are patient and watch a bunch of them.

Doubt any of the 3” 13 stuff would fit right. It would likely need to be cut and a new sight made. 2” 15’s tend to be weird looking but also very accurate. That would be the route I would go.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

User Tag List