Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: MODEL 15 ALERT!!!!

The 3" M13 barrel would require some work to have it fit up correctly--most likely the rib would have to be machined to match the narrower M15 rib, and the fixed sight milled off and replaced with a dovetail sight or with a a sight base allowing for interchangeable blades, something akin to the old Weigand system.

2" M15's are pretty sweet. I like mine; I'd wanted one for years ever since reading about them in the fourth edition of "The Book of Combat Handgunnery," by Chuck Taylor:

And they are accurate:

Last edited by oregon45; 06-20-2019 at 11:58 PM.

Very accurate
    25 yards 130gr Winchester Rangers
    Name:  KIMG0749.jpg
Views: 314
Size:  31.2 KB
    My wife carries it with VZ grips.
    Name:  Screenshot_2019-06-21-07-58-42.jpg
Views: 316
Size:  29.5 KB

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by oregon45 View Post
    The 3" M13 barrel would require some work to have it fit up correctly--most likely the rib would have to be machined to match the narrower M15 rib....
    I had a M10-5 for awhile that had a heavy barrel. It was kind of ugly where the barrel met the frame, but it shot OK. I sold it to someone who didn't care about any of that. (He was looking for a decent one for a project.)
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

I always thought the 2” Model 15’s were goofy. We had one very old school detective who carried one religiously in a shoulder rig and I always thought it was kind of dumb, but he always was a solid shooter and one of those guys who had a issues 4” 15, his 2” and a J frame and that is everything he owned. Later, I picked up a 2” Model 15 and finally “got it”. I now have two. They shoot lights out good. I would rather have a factory 2” than try to Frankenstein a 3”.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

Damn it, I didn’t know 2” K frames were a thing. Or more accurately, I didn’t pay attention to them because I was into the 4” and 6” models when I was playing in the world of S&W.

Now I’m 2” K frame curious...
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

Quote Originally Posted by Dagga Boy View Post
    Doubt any of the 3” 13 stuff would fit right. It would likely need to be cut and a new sight made. 2” 15’s tend to be weird looking but also very accurate. That would be the route I would go.
    I do have a 2" Model 15. i'll have to dig it out of the safe and bring it to the Roundup.

By the way, I do like the stocks on that .32 DS. They feel comfy, and look like something my people would carry.

Model 15 rebuild

My rebuild of the 5 screw pre-15 Combat Masterpiece in the sights thread was about $500 labor, with me supplying NOS parts for all the major parts and internal small stuff (essentially everything except the barreled frame/sideplate, yoke, and cylinder) from a private parts collector I know, plus the new Cylinder and Crane rear sight. It did not include rebluing.
    It didn't seem that bad when I bought it from an old gunsmith shop in a small West Texas city, but its life in a Deputy Sheriff's holster had not been an easy one. I really wanted to put it back into service, and was willing to undertake it.

Its NOT cheap to get into a project gun!! Rebuilding old Smiths is like rebuilding old cars, an expensive hobby that is never going to pay for itself.

Don't ask about the 5 screw pre-14 rebuild!
    Last edited by BruceinWV; 06-23-2019 at 06:13 PM.
    Yankee refugee living in the free state of West Virginia!

User Tag List