Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Another reminder on Facebook if you're LE

Site Supporter
    It has been suggested to even us attys that we should be most cautious in the use of social media. The classic example given is if you would not want your Mom, Spouse, Kids, Boss or Judge to see it on the front page, above the fold (what a quaint thought btw) then you should probably not post it. I have found FB exceeding helpful for remembering birthdays, keeping up with former co-employees and classmates. My three most frequent postings go something like this:

1. Congratulations
    2. I am sorry for your loss. I am praying for your and yours.
    3. Happy Birthday.

As I have told my kids a fair bit lately, it is not that hard to avoid going around in life begging people to figuretively(sp) kick you in the junk.

YMMV Greatly.
    Last edited by vcdgrips; 06-20-2019 at 10:15 AM.

Site Supporter
    I got rid of all social media. Waste of my time with no good resulting from it.

FB can be used as a tool. You just have to be smart and keep your mouth shut.

One of my friends is a State Trooper. He joins all the local FB crime watch groups and uses it to his advantage. There can be an amazing amount of information that comes from them. FB has been instrumental in catching a bunch of thieves in my area. I don't think I've ever seen a single comment on FB from my friend, but he's there lurking while drinking his morning coffee before work. He does the same thing looking through Craigslist to find stolen property.

Quote Originally Posted by vcdgrips View Post
    It has been suggested to even us attys that we should be most cautious in the use of social media.
    This applies to everyone these days, especially those who post on places like P-F.com. If you do something that the SJW's find offensive then you'll become the next bit player in a Cecil the Lion virtue-signaling scenario. Better to just avoid it entirely.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

Quote Originally Posted by vcdgrips View Post
    It has been suggested to even us attys that we should be most cautious in the use of social media. The classic example given is if you would not want your Mom, Spouse, Kids, Boss or Judge to see it on the front page, above the fold (what a quaint thought btw) then you should probably not post it. I have found FB exceeding helpful for remembering birthdays, keeping up with former co-employees and classmates. My three most frequent postings go something like this:

1. Congratulations
    2. I am sorry for your loss. I am praying for your and yours.
    3. Happy Birthday.

As I have told my kids a fair bit lately, it is not that hard to avoid going around in life begging people to figuretively(sp) kick you in the junk.

YMMV Greatly.
    I'm very fond of it for family and friends stuff as you mention and tracking various updates from the shooting world and other stories of varying interests from music to news to science.

You just have to be smart like we see on gun forums, conduct yourself like you're actually face to face and not a virtual a-hole on the Net.

Re the bolded section: That is the speed governor FB puts on me. I could slip into much more outrageous shenanigans without that visibility.
    Last edited by JHC; 06-20-2019 at 11:36 AM.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Site Supporter
    Just be thoughtful about what you post. It's not that hard.

Facebook can be a good source of information. A friend of mine from the gun club is an IT computer guy. A number of years ago they interviewed a woman for a vacant position in their small company. She interviewed well and her past employers spoke highly of her and she had a good background. They were all set to hire her until they found a discussion about her job interview on Facebook where she said she was going to take that job "until something better comes along". She didn't get the job.

About a dozen years ago we had a dispatcher who called in sick to work (requiring somebody to be held over) and went to a concert. She posted a concert review on Facebook, complete with pictures of her posing with the band. She got a letter of reprimand about being a sick leave abuser. I'm surprised she didn't get a day off.

Houston PD had a policy on social media behavior, which I took to include forums such as this one. Even though I am retired, I plan to maintain the word “honorably” as part of “retired,” so I still watch what I post, and even what I “like,’ in places such as here at P-F.

As for ZuckerBook, I never liked that business model, so never joined. I do not want to be a product that is marketed, unless, perhaps, I am the one being getting the revenue. Being a somewhat serious photographer, I might want to join InstaGram, but not until it parts ways with the book that zucks.

I did open a twitter account, even though I am not a bird, because one photography instructor used twitter to announce training classes. I never sent tweets. My account was almost immediately hijacked, perhaps by a bot, so it is possible that my account may have sent outgoing messages; I hope not, but, well, who knows. The only way I saw to readily get rid of the account, without the inconvenience of jumping through significant hoops, was to complete an on-line form that asserted there was no account associated with my e-mail address. Obviously, if ever under oath, or making any statement with consequences for failure to disclose, I would have to disclose this.
    Last edited by Rex G; 06-21-2019 at 12:43 PM.
    Retar’d LE. Kinesthetic dufus.

Don’t tread on volcanos!

Smoke Bomb / Ninja Vanish Chance's Avatar
    From Dallas Morning News:

Four Dallas police officers have been placed on administrative leave and more than 20 others are under internal investigations for their Facebook posts, police announced Friday.

Officers received letters notifying them of the investigations Friday, about a month after researchers with The Plain View Project published a database of years of public posts from eight police departments that the database’s creators said “could undermine public trust and confidence in police.”

The project, which prompted a swift response from some departments, collected posts from scores of active and retired Dallas officers. And of the more than 5,000 posts archived in the database, over 300 were from active Dallas cops. The posts included Islamophobic comments, racial stereotypes and jokes about police brutality.
    "Sapiens dicit: 'Ignoscere divinum est, sed noli pretium plenum pro pizza sero allata solvere.'" - Michelangelo

Quote Originally Posted by Chance View Post
    Sigh.... we are headed for a zero defect society.
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    Sigh.... we are headed for a zero defect society.
    Name:  2010-05-14-Strip_35_How_Things_Have_Changed_web.jpg
Views: 647
Size:  63.6 KB
    https://terminallance.com/2010/05/14...-have-changed/
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

User Tag List