Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Another reminder on Facebook if you're LE

Another reminder on Facebook if you're LE

Reminder, this is the LE forum

https://www.nbcphiladelphia.com/news...511530392.html

An investigation into racist and insensitive Facebook posts allegedly made by active-duty and former police officers across the country has led to 72 Philadelphia cops being placed on administrative leave, Commissioner Richard Ross announced Wednesday.
    #RESIST

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    A solid reason to not have a Facebook page if you're a cop. Or if you're anyone who isn't making money from maintaining a social media presence. Career-wise, there's only potential for harm. Even if you're squeaky clean and never had a controversial thought in your life, something can be taken out of context and used as a bludgeon.

There's a reason you are asked about social media presence in depositions when they are going to sue you...
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

CWM11B
    I had FB for about six months at the insistence of a few folks. Deleted it and will never go back to using it, absolute sewer. No good comes from having an account if you are a cop.

PREDICTIONS:
    1. A bunch of guys will get fired over innocuous stuff taken completely out of context
    2. Cops will become become even more withdrawn from people, and wondering what word or phrase of the day is going to get them jammed up
    3. This thread goes sideways before noon.

Never been on it, never will.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Read: Harrison Bergeron

Quote Originally Posted by CWM11B View Post
    I had FB for about six months at the insistence of a few folks. Deleted it and will never go back to using it, absolute sewer. No good comes from having an account if you are a cop.

PREDICTIONS:
    1. A bunch of guys will get fired over innocuous stuff taken completely out of context
    2. Cops will become become even more withdrawn from people, and wondering what word or phrase of the day is going to get them jammed up
    I now realize it's mostly a liability for a lot of folks. ESPECIALLY active Mil seeking work in "special" units. Hopefully less so for old geezers keeping up with family and friends and enjoying the memes.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Quote Originally Posted by CWM11B View Post

PREDICTIONS:
    No bet on #3. IME its not statements taken out of context that jam anyone up. It's guys who make their statements loud and clear, either in person or online. Some officers with a meme here or there might skate or get a bit of time off. IA will start looking into use of force and arrests of those officers with the longest and worst online history, and those officers are going to get hammered.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

CWM11B
    I'd like to think it would be clear cut stuff, but I've seen some get the boot for pretty tame stuff. I'll stick with some guys getting scooped up in the net with genuine turds for harmless stuff. It's all about the optics and the nature of the allegation these days.
    Last edited by CWM11B; 06-20-2019 at 08:49 AM.

The first Philadelphia result in that plainview database:

The next (video shows non compliant driver attempting to ram officers):

A few posts down:

Ballard Spahr is also reviewing each post to determine if the speech is constitutionally protected.

"An example would be an opinion on the matter of public concern that may be unpopular but does not include threats of violence or pejorative language against any protected class," Ross said. "If the speech is not protected by the First Amendment, the case will proceed with appropriate discipline."
    Last edited by 0ddl0t; 06-20-2019 at 09:13 AM.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hambo View Post
    IME its not statements taken out of context that jam anyone up.
    By your own department? Maybe, maybe not. We all know things that aren't an issue until they are an issue. The admin wants to suspend Cop A because he did something they don't like but was within policy, so they dig until they find he hasn't fueled his car at a city pump for a month and suspend him for that. They don't go through everyone's fueling records and suspend anyone else who hasn't been to a city pump in a month. Not an issue until it's an issue.

By unethical attorneys suing you for killing someone who was trying to kill you? They find *anything at all* that can be twisted into fitting the narrative of you as the racist violent cop who's advocating for "street justice", the vigilante who just happens to have a badge....then yes, yes they will.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Site Supporter
    Local case, the shooting happened across the street from where I went to elementary school at my granddad's former neighborhood grocery.... Note the date.

https://www.abqjournal.com/news/metr...ro02-15-11.htm

Given the effort that social media platforms is giving to detecting fake and UC accounts the squeeze is quickly becoming too much effort for the juice. As they roll up my UC accounts I likely won't replace them.

Took a Homeland Security Open Source Intelligence collection course which included some of the ways UC accounts can be burned, and how to help them survive.. PM if you need info on specifics. If you need info and your organization doesn't have it I will share via official email.

pat

User Tag List