Thread: Apex or wilson for j frame springs?

Apex or wilson for j frame springs?

I'm snagging a no lock 442 this weekend and will end up trying some hammer springs to improve the trigger. I will do the 1000 dry pulls with snapcaps to smooth it up but wanted to know the current concensus on spring kits.

Reading some old threads, the apex had reports of poor reliability. Has that been resolved? Wilson any better? I prefer a strong reset so id probably not mess with the rebound too much, unless there is plenty of room for improvement.

Neither is cost prohibitive but if one or both suck i can save the ammo vetting it. What is working or not for you now?
    "...we suffer more in imagination than in reality." Seneca, probably.

The Apex dropped 3lbs off my 642. Hoping to get to the range next week. My reset is brisk.
    Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    Oh man, that's right. I forgot that some people feel like they need light SA triggers in DA guns instead of just learning to shoot the gun better. You can get a Redhawk DA trigger pull down to 10 lbs, and if you can't manage that you suck and should probably just practice more.
    *RS Regulate Affiliate*

The Apex comes with an extended firing pin. Be sure to install it.
    I use the Apex hammer spring and the factory rebound. I like a brisk trigger return.

I have the kits in two J frames and they are good to go. Nice trigger pull.
    No light strikes in several thousand rounds.

Also polish the bottom of the rebound slide.

Quote Originally Posted by Leroy Suggs View Post

Also polish the bottom of the rebound slide.
    That rough surface causes a crappy trigger pull and requires more force to reset the trigger.
    Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    Oh man, that's right. I forgot that some people feel like they need light SA triggers in DA guns instead of just learning to shoot the gun better. You can get a Redhawk DA trigger pull down to 10 lbs, and if you can't manage that you suck and should probably just practice more.
    *RS Regulate Affiliate*

i bought both apex and wilson and went with the wilson to check out first. liked it so much i never tested the apex. i also honed the trigger return slide and frame - very *lightly*. very pleased. under 10# pull, trigger can still be staged for a faux S/A.

I have Apex kits in three J-frames and the change in trigger quality is astounding. Sure, they are still J-frame triggers, but much smoother and lighter. Also, their customer service simply rocks.

Not knocking Wilson, they make good stuff, too, but my Apex experience has made me a believer in their products and company. (Not affiliated, yada, yada.)

You might want the Apex kit bc of the longer firing pin, lil extra insurance. However, I seem to remember that on one of my J-frames, I ended up using a combination of the kits. For whatever reason on that gun, the apex mainspring didn't quite have enough zap for super reliable ignition and I ended up using a wolf mainspring. On other guns the Apex worked great.

But as everyone has said, it's a game changer. And might as well polish stuff while yer in there...

I own 12 J-frames, and ten of them have Apex kits. They have all been boringly reliable.

User Tag List