Thread: Makarov PM - Disconcerting Primer Dimples

Site Supporter

Makarov PM - Disconcerting Primer Dimples

I picked up a nice East German Mak not long ago. Love the gun--very accurate, reliable, compact, well made. Then I noticed something: ejecting a chambered round revealed a nick in the center of the primer. Checked another round I had chambered. Same thing.

I Googled it. Apparently it's a thing: the free-floating firing pin peaks out of the hole when the slide closes. I guess it's not enough force to ignite the round (to be fair, it's much less than a dimple on a fired case). But... damn. Anyone have a lot of experience with Maks? Anything to worry about?

Did you thoroughly clean the FP channel with a degreaser and replace the FP spring?

Both could reduce the amount the FP extends.

I’m always concerned with primer dimples, because that’s only a few thousands of an inch away from generating a slam fire.

I could be wrong, but I dont recall the PM having a FP spring. I believe it simply uses a lightweight FP that is supposed to float freely in the channel. My recommendation would be to clean the FP channel thoroughly in case there is cosmoline or some other crud in there that could be making the FP stick somewhat. Its a pretty easy process to detail strip a PM slide.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by RJflyer View Post
    I could be wrong, but I dont recall the PM having a FP spring. I believe it simply uses a lightweight FP that is supposed to float freely in the channel. My recommendation would be to clean the FP channel thoroughly in case there is cosmoline or some other crud in there that could be making the FP stick somewhat. Its a pretty easy process to detail strip a PM slide.
    This. I haven’t had a PM in a few years, but I had the slide apart to clean it and it had no FP spring. That channel and FO have to be clean, but you’re probably still going to dimples. NBD with steel case Russian ball, which is mostly what I shot through mine.

Site Supporter
    Yeah, the PM doesn't have a firing pin spring. I knew this. But I didn't expect to see marks on primers. I'll get the pin out and inspect/clean it... but I think it's probably just the nature of the beast. Anybody recall not seeing nicks on primers with a PM?

I really don't think it would fire, but it does give one pause. It's my first PM and I'm finding I really like everything about the gun--except this.

User Tag List