Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Young Black Bear...

Quote Originally Posted by Darth_Uno View Post
    We have a family of foxes, and a bobcat at/around my house. And yes, I've seen the bobcat with my own eyeballs. Pretty cool. And the usual country variety of of possums, coons, deer, squirrels, rabbits, and groundhogs.

Of course my terriers think every single one is a direct affront to their authoritah. I'd probably pick the terriers in most straight up fisticuffs. And one of them is blind, I'd still bet on her.
    Our girl is a Boxer / Terrier mix, probably AmStaff but no way to be sure. Yeah, she's very protective of her domain. I've seen her run off bigger dogs when she was off lead. She's only been around bear, coyote, and some larger animals a couple times. One time we got faced down by a crazy weasel that was charging us at night.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Gucci gear, Walmart skill Darth_Uno's Avatar
    Need pics, I'm not going to hunt through the Pets thread.

I've got a Jack Russell and rat terrier, because apparently I'm legally retarded.

The 14yo Jack Russell is 100% blind, 90% deaf, mostly senile (no joke, she really is) and still thinks she can whoop your ass. And she's probably right.

"Jack Russells will go up against animals 100x their size, and usually win."
    Last edited by Darth_Uno; 06-20-2019 at 07:11 PM.

My good buddy, knife maker, custom barrel builder and hunting guide Jerry Halfrich out of San Marcos, TX, is a big Jack Russell guy. Absolutely loves 'em. Lost one in the flood a couple years back that devastated him.

Here's Skyler:

Name:  skyler 110518-3.jpg
Views: 306
Size:  40.5 KB

Always on patrol...

Name:  skyler 110518-2.jpg
Views: 323
Size:  42.2 KB

"You talkin' to me?"
    Last edited by blues; 06-20-2019 at 07:31 PM.

Gucci gear, Walmart skill Darth_Uno's Avatar
    I wouldn’t mess with that dog, but I keep plenty of treats on hand. Not cuz I’m worried, I just like dogs, and they like snackers.

They may feel differently about bears. Who generally don’t provide snackers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Darth_Uno View Post
    I wouldn’t mess with that dog, but I keep plenty of treats on hand. Not cuz I’m worried, I just like dogs, and they like snackers.

They may feel differently about bears. Who generally don’t provide snackers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    She's a sweetie. And only about 55 lbs. If she were 90 lbs like my late Weimaraner, she'd be a true terror. She's an exceptional athlete.

Name:  mountainmen80_shedamnnearkilledme_FC_470x264_051720160642.jpg
Views: 253
Size:  18.5 KB
    Quote Originally Posted by Hieronymous View Post
    "Watch yer top knot"
    Recovering Gun Store Commando. My Blog: The Clue Meter
    “It doesn’t matter what the problem is, the solution is always for us to give the government more money and power, while we eat less meat.”
    Glenn Reynolds

We don't have any bears on the island per say. We had one a few months ago that was island hopping. He was here awhile on a tour of many islands. I think he hit about 5 different islands. I never saw him but many people did. Probably liked to swim.

Barred Owls. They're kind of like chickens around here. We have one that I see almost everyday on our property. I've seen as many as three at one time. I'm not sure which I hear more, my neighbors roosters or barred owls. We have some some pretty thick woods and plenty of rabbits.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

You must have scared that bear good, because he showed up in our garbage overnight here in Montana. He didn’t enjoy the taste of the Amazon boxes.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

We are seeing them more and more here in north Alabama.

https://www.waff.com/2019/06/25/bear...ntsville-home/

https://www.waff.com/2019/06/26/bear...-guntersville/

In the first linked story, that area has had a LOT of natural land and habitat cleared for more neighborhoods so I imagine that may have something to do with it. My wife is a little panicked about it but I'm sure these bears are more afraid of her than she is of them.

I can remember back in the 80s reading the fish and game hand-outs when I would get my licenses listing black bear as indigenous to this state but I lived in the south part then. I think there has not been an "open" season on them due to their numbers but there must be more of them now or either there are more devices to capture them now.

Either way, I'd love to see one in the wild. Seen several bald eagles lately (in town and around Lake Guntersville).

https://www.outdooralabama.com/black...ma-black-bears

Regards.
    Last edited by lwt16; 06-26-2019 at 11:26 AM.

Okay......this will surely be the one AND only time I reference The Siberian Times, and I make no claims to it's authenticity, but thought it too interesting not to post. My cold war upbringing says Nyet on so many levels, but please weigh in.... Do bears have a known tendency to "stash" food for such extended periods?

http://siberiantimes.com/other/other...od-inside-den/

Man lives after bear breaks his spine and keeps him as food inside den
    The emaciated man from Russia’s remote Republic of Tuva was preserved as ‘tin-can’ food to eat later by a brown bear, say local reports in the region.

A group of local hunters found Alexander after their dogs refused to leave the area of the den.

Their persistent barking pushed the hunters to check inside the lair, where they found a barely-alive man. He was rushed to the local hospital and has been diagnosed with a broken spine and severe emaciation.

Alexander remembers his first name but not his age, and was reportedly in the den for around one month, drinking urine to survive.

User Tag List