Page 47 of 48 FirstFirst ... 3745464748 LastLast

Thread: Red dot update - June 2019

Quote Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post
    That said, if Trijicon came up with a small format, low profile MOS direct mount RMR that allows use of standard height sights I would probably jump. The RMRcc isn’t it for me.
    I had high hopes when I saw the Dr Optic MOS direct mounted optic, given their past reputation as a good optic. It seems that particular sight didn't pan out. The window was also very small, and it didn't look very durable/robust. I know Holosun had a similar optic that they teased last year, but I suspect getting all the electronics and a battery into something that thin, and still have it be durable, and have good windage and elevation adjustments, is pretty tough to do,. If Trijicon could do something similar, that skipped the mounting plates, had a slightly larger and more robustly protected window, but retained the top mounted battery cap, and had good adjustments... I'd be on that in a flash.

ETA: I'm sure as soon as I plunk down cash for an RMR, Trijicon will come out with this sort of thing 1st quarter of 2021...

Quote Originally Posted by 98z28 View Post
    We should put together a Doc-style list of red dots. [SNIP] I am thinking that red dot advice should start to sounding a lot like carry ammo advice: Pick one off the list that has proven durable enough, being aware of the various trade offs [SNIP] and drive on.

If any of the smaller details matter to you, like dot size and type, you probably won’t know until you’ve played with one for a while. Please don’t take this as invalidating your questions. There are a lot of important choices to make, and it’s an expensive game. I would want to get it right on the first go, too. I am just of the opinion that “getting it right” means picking one of the durable options and working with it to see if you have any preferences for the minutia (e.g. dot size and type). [SNIP SNIP...SNIP]

Am I missing anything?
    I don't think you've missed anything. I've been reading about, and researching RDS on a pistol for couple years now. I've watched almost every video Aaron Cowan has put up, and I trust his conclusions for the most part. I'm not totally uneducated about the ins and outs of the dot, but I am a noob when it comes to actual use. I've shot a couple of .22's and other handguns with a dot on occasion, but never with enough time to come to any conclusions about what works for me. I'm sure I'll dive in, and find my own way, but I still like to hear others experiences, especially people that have actually used multiple dot sizes or optic types. GJM's adventures have been educational, in particular, even if most of his uses are not the same as mine. The sheer number of optics he has had fail, is interesting and informative.

I think the list of robust, carry/duty worthy optics is pretty short still, based on what I've read, which is why the RMR is at the top of my list. I'm comfortable trading some drop/abuse worthy durability for a slightly smaller window, for example. Other people have other ideas what an optic should be or do, so I think making a universal "list" is a bit harder than with ammo, since a lot of the minutia is subjective...And makes any list, a bit harder to nail down. Ammo that hits a certain penetration range, while expanding well through multiple barrier types in repeatable scientific testing is a bit easier to pigeon-hole, IMHO.

Site Supporter
    Am I missing anything?
    Delta Point Pro.
    --Jason--

What’s the preferred battery brand and source for an RMR? Still Duracell?

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Maca View Post
    What’s the preferred battery brand and source for an RMR? Still Duracell?

Thanks.
    Duracell or Renata.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Duracell or Renata.
    Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Blades View Post
    Delta Point Pro.
    That’s fair.

These dropped off my radar. I thought GJM’s and others’ experience had crossed these off the “durable enough” list. I recall reading that they were supposed to be revised to increase durability, but I don’t recall reading any specific updates on the improved versions (though I haven’t been looking for it, either).

Not that anyone is considering Sig's red dots for serious use, but I have some interesting info on my pair of ROMEO1s. I have had a pair of 3 MOA units since April of 2018, each purchased directly from Sig as part of a 320 9mm compact RX caliber exchange kit. One is on a training gun with north of 4,000 rounds and about 10x dry draws/presses, and another is on a carry gun with closer to 2,000. I experienced decreased battery life from both units as they aged. I sent the below message to Sig's Electro-Optics Support team using their website. I changed battery brands enough to verify that it is not an Energizer issue (see below message to Sig Support). After a couple of weeks, I received a reply asking for additional details. Eventually, Sig sent a shipping label and asked for both units. A few weeks later, I received two new-in-the box units with a note saying they confirmed the battery drain issue on the original units. The sights I sent them were not in great shape. The finish was worn off from use (not abuse) and the lenses were scratched from ignorant cleaning (I do not recommend using the wet lens cleaning wipes we all use on cell phones and glasses). I've had the new units since early November. Both are working fine and are still on the original batteries, which is longer than the units I sent them would last.

I haven't seen the battery drain issue mentioned elsewhere. I don't know if my units were unique, or if there just aren't enough out there under the microscope for it to come up. Many of us suspect these a re-branded Holosun units, so I'd be interested to know if long-term Holosun owners are seeing something similar.

Dear Support,

I have two ROMEO01 red dot sights that are experiencing increased battery drain. One is serial number 99B000319XXX and the other is serial number 99B017232XXX. I bought both sights directly from the SIG store as part of SIG P320 caliber conversion packages on 4/1/2018 (Order #100392XXX ). Both sights have performed well, and I am very happy with them, except for one item: I am getting less battery life with each battery change. When new, both sight lasted about three months on a battery. That is with brightness setting 4 (starting from the lowest setting and clicking up five times, from the NV setting to the third brightest visible dot). I could almost set a watch by them. That lasted a little over a year, and then the sights started dying a little quicker with each battery change. It went from three months down to two-and-a-half months, then down to two months, and so on. Now, I am getting about two weeks per battery on both sights. I have tried multiple battery brands. I've found that Duracell tends to last longer, but Energizer has been the most consistently available. At the beginning of this year, I bought a large pack of Energizer batteries for these sights. With each battery change, the time between needing a new battery decreased. It started at two months, then quickly dropped to one month, and is now at about two weeks (I put a fresh battery in, and two weeks later the sight is dead). This is with the same pack of batteries from the same lot. One sight is on a carry gun that is in my holster almost daily. I work in an air conditioned facility. The other is on a training gun that lives in a dark, still safe in my air conditioned closet and is taken out to the range once every week or two. Both sights tend to die at the same time.

Is there anything I can do to address this? I am concerned that there is something wrong with the sights and they may stop working all together. In the meantime, I have switched to a pair of P365s with ROMEOZeros for carry. Both versions are still on the factory batteries and have been "on" for over four months.

Thank you,
    Steven XXXX

Site Supporter
    That’s fair.

These dropped off my radar. I thought GJM’s and others’ experience had crossed these off the “durable enough” list. I recall reading that they were supposed to be revised to increase durability, but I don’t recall reading any specific updates on the improved versions (though I haven’t been looking for it, either).
    They are made in the US, offer a discount to Veterans, and have a lifetime warranty(even if you bought it used). For me, it will probably last forever.
    --Jason--

The DP Pro was initially quite reliable by red dot standards. However, the AF and half the AE (the last two letters are year of manufacture) Pro units were not reliable for high round count shooting. Revisions have been made and they seem back in the very reliable category.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

User Tag List