Page 46 of 48 FirstFirst ... 364445464748 LastLast

Thread: Red dot update - June 2019

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalDep View Post
    I’m curious if the zero shift was a mount issue (physical movement of the optic body) or something internal? I’ve seen both on other optics. Any clues on that?
    That is a really good question, and the short answer is we don’t know what the cause was.

Here is the long answer. First we checked tension on the screws holding the optic to the Springer Precision plate, and that seemed fine. Then we removed the optic and checked the tension of the screws holding the Springer plate to the Legion slide, and they were tight. Then, my wife removed the bottom plate of the R3 Max, to check the tension of the set screw for the windage adjustment. In the past, others have reported that the windage set screw was loose and tightened/loctited it. In this case the set screw was intact and it appeared to be loctited. Here is a picture of the bottom of the R3 Max, and another picture of an R3 Max where my wife found a missing set screw.

Name:  DF4A7353-BB50-4621-B57E-9984C2CE26E7.jpg
Views: 571
Size:  34.5 KB

Name:  DE60AEEF-9030-4F6A-8161-71D5BF3FBB46.jpeg
Views: 572
Size:  87.7 KB

After these steps, we used new screws to mount the R3 Max to the Springer plate. Now she will rezero and see what happens. Darn red dot!
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Site Supporter
    Why did she go to the R3MAX if you are having success with the SRO?

Quote Originally Posted by ranger View Post
    Why did she go to the R3MAX if you are having success with the SRO?
    She prefers the optical clarity, more fine intensity adjustments compared to the SRO, and the low sun angle performance. In AZ and the west, many Legion shooters are using the R3 Max.

I know you already know this, people have had good luck with a very small dab of black rtv sealant on the wind/elev screws once zero'd. That is the route I am probably going to go with, seems easier to scrap off than clear nail polish etc.. maybe that will help?

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    She prefers the optical clarity, more fine intensity adjustments compared to the SRO, and the low sun angle performance. In AZ and the west, many Legion shooters are using the R3 Max.

Quote Originally Posted by rca90gsx View Post
    I know you already know this, people have had good luck with a very small dab of black rtv sealant on the wind/elev screws once zero'd. That is the route I am probably going to go with, seems easier to scrap off than clear nail polish etc.. maybe that will help?
    If you mean the external windage and elevation, she had those witness marked and they did not move.

Since this seems to be a bit of a catch all thread, I'll pose a couple questions here, having just picked up a G19.5 MOS... And this being my first foray into the MRDS mounted pistol world. I'd like to eventually carry this gun, so I'd like to stick with A Trijicon RMR vs any of the cheaper stuff available out there. I'd consider Holosun after seeing some of the Sage Dynamics videos, but given the current situation in the world, sticking with USA made seems prudent, and dare I say patriotic. I plan on using the Forward Controls mounting plate, not the potmetal bits that come from Glock. I have a inch pounds torque wrench, can use VC3, and I'm mechanically inclined.

I'm debating between the 3.25 or 6 MOA versions, and I feel like my index is likely good enough it wont take much hunting in the window to find the dot... once I get up to speed a bit on these things. I do have a slight astigmatism in both eyes, but I'm able to use Aimpoints and MRO's on my AR's without too much issue. I suspect I'd prefer the slightly smaller dot, with the ability to "bloom" it a bit if a more coarse aiming point is desired.

Which size do most folks prefer? Where did you start? Being a noob, would a larger dot be beneficial, even if I already have a decent index and put in some extra work to learn to manage the sight?

I understand its a very personal thing what works best for any given individual, but I trust folks here to give thoughtful advice.

@WDR, welcome to dot world!
    FWIW, I started with an ACRO-3.5 dot I think(?)-still carrying it. Slight astigmatism in my eyes and the larger dots/Holosun complex reticle too distracting to my eyes.
    @GJM and other deeply experienced competition shooters prefer a bigger dot in that endeavor. I do recall @GJM ran an ACRO hunting, so its what you put in the work with.
    Best of luck in your quest.

Quote Originally Posted by WDR View Post
    Since this seems to be a bit of a catch all thread, I'll pose a couple questions here, having just picked up a G19.5 MOS... And this being my first foray into the MRDS mounted pistol world. I'd like to eventually carry this gun, so I'd like to stick with A Trijicon RMR vs any of the cheaper stuff available out there. I'd consider Holosun after seeing some of the Sage Dynamics videos, but given the current situation in the world, sticking with USA made seems prudent, and dare I say patriotic. I plan on using the Forward Controls mounting plate, not the potmetal bits that come from Glock. I have a inch pounds torque wrench, can use VC3, and I'm mechanically inclined.

I'm debating between the 3.25 or 6 MOA versions, and I feel like my index is likely good enough it wont take much hunting in the window to find the dot... once I get up to speed a bit on these things. I do have a slight astigmatism in both eyes, but I'm able to use Aimpoints and MRO's on my AR's without too much issue. I suspect I'd prefer the slightly smaller dot, with the ability to "bloom" it a bit if a more coarse aiming point is desired.

Which size do most folks prefer? Where did you start? Being a noob, would a larger dot be beneficial, even if I already have a decent index and put in some extra work to learn to manage the sight?

I understand its a very personal thing what works best for any given individual, but I trust folks here to give thoughtful advice.
    I've tried both sizes with an RMR and greatly prefer the 3.25. If you need a bigger dot for some reason you can always turn up the brightness so it blooms a little, but I haven't found a situation where I wanted the dot bigger with this optic.

I do prefer the 5moa dot on the SRO over the 2.5, but that is because I don't feel the auto brightness adjustment on the SRO is as good so at times the dot was too dim and the bigger dot was slightly easier to find.

We should put together a Doc-style list of red dots. Much like ammo, there is a great deal of minutia that theoretically matters, but practically is either personal (e.g. dot size) or doesn’t make much of a difference (e.g. How big of a deal is window size and open v. closed emitter in our CC application?).

Enough testing has been - or soon will be - done to know which dots are the best bet from a durability perspective (I’m thinking of dots making onto approved lists for ICE, FBI, large police departments, etc.).

I am thinking that red dot advice should start to sounding a lot like carry ammo advice: Pick one off the list that has proven durable enough, being aware of the various trade offs (e.g. small window size on the RMR, battery life on the ARCO, “break in period” of sorts with Holosun), and drive on. If any of the smaller details matter to you, like dot size and type, you probably won’t know until you’ve played with one for a while.

Please don’t take this as invalidating your questions. There are a lot of important choices to make, and it’s an expensive game. I would want to get it right on the first go, too. I am just of the opinion that “getting it right” means picking one of the durable options and working with it to see if you have any preferences for the minutia (e.g. dot size and type).

As for current “durable enough” options, I’m thinking:

Trijicon RMR Type 2 (trade off for durability: small window and exposed emitter)

Trijicon SRO (trade off for durability: exposed emitter and large size that not all holsters will accommodate, and an interesting design that has stuck brass under the window on some guns)

Aimpoint ARCO (trade off for durability: poor battery life)

Holosun in preferred flavor (trade off for durability: exposed emitter and the unit may fail quickly, but if it doesn’t, it is probably good to go)

Am I missing anything?

Quote Originally Posted by 98z28 View Post
    (snip)

As for current “durable enough” options, I’m thinking:

Trijicon RMR Type 2 (trade off for durability: small window and exposed emitter)

Trijicon SRO (trade off for durability: exposed emitter and large size that not all holsters will accommodate, and an interesting design that has stuck brass under the window on some guns)

Aimpoint ARCO (trade off for durability: poor battery life)

Holosun in preferred flavor (trade off for durability: exposed emitter and the unit may fail quickly, but if it doesn’t, it is probably good to go)

Am I missing anything?
    Possibly Swampfox as a Holosun alternative? Shield, too - at least the newest ones with glass lenses.

I’m currently trying out a Swampfox Sentinel RDS on my new 43x MOS - what I’ve read from other users makes me think their durability is similar to or better than Holosun, but I can’t state that as a certainty. I know that I’m comfortable enough with one on my daily carry for now. (Or I will be once I find enough ammunition to prove the new gun, ugh.)

That said, if Trijicon came up with a small format, low profile MOS direct mount RMR that allows use of standard height sights I would probably jump. The RMRcc isn’t it for me.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

User Tag List