Page 35 of 48 FirstFirst ... 25333435363745 ... LastLast

Thread: Red dot update - June 2019

If you want a fun read, here is a guy out to dominate Carry Optics, shooting his Glock 26. He is making some progress at it.

https://forums.brianenos.com/topic/2...doesnt-matter/
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    If you want a fun read, here is a guy out to dominate Carry Optics, shooting his Glock 26. He is making some progress at it.

https://forums.brianenos.com/topic/2...doesnt-matter/
    "Didn't anyone learn anything from Jurrasic Park movies? Just because we can, doesn't mean we should......" loved this comment

Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    Did you notice the street price?
    For what it's worth, I was back there today and they still had one left, so I asked...

$1650 - which considering the price of the RMR and Trijicon night sights/mounting plate, seems like a pretty good deal to me.
    "When the phone rang, Parker was in the garage, killing a man."

https://www.police1.com/police-produ...Pxzq8oqAaXsXa/

Survey: How are pistol RDS performing so far?
    The sample size is small, but trends are developing
    Aug 4, 2020
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Brokos weighs in with a pretty thorough treatment.

https://www.recoilweb.com/recoiltv-t...ts-162237.html
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    https://www.police1.com/police-produ...Pxzq8oqAaXsXa/

Survey: How are pistol RDS performing so far?
    The sample size is small, but trends are developing
    Aug 4, 2020
    From the article:

Another interesting data point was that with the shooting incidents that occurred at five yards or less, most of the officers commented in the survey that they did not see or use the red dot sight at that distance as it was not needed. So, with that, instructors that conduct transition training should avoid using drills inside of 10 yards, as shooters who are struggling to find the red dot in training may utilize point shooting methods to complete the drill and circumvent the learning process intended by transition training.
    Does that seem ignorant to anyone else?
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

No. If they recognised this as an issue it seems a prudent work around at that stage of the training. But i do not interpret the excerpt as never train at it. Just not at that initial stage where it may prove counterproductive.

Quote Originally Posted by Lon View Post
    From the article:

Does that seem ignorant to anyone else?
    Totally. Try point shooting on dot drills or trying to shoot a bullet hole at 3 yards and the need for finding the dot will become apparent. Plus, it’s important to learn what type of reference you need to make acceptable hits at different cadences and distances. As GJM has said (paraphrasing), often we’re not shooting a dot but instead a streak.

Statistics can be helpful but when analyzed by someone without sufficient expertise it becomes training to meet reality rather than training to improve reality.
    Last edited by SoCalDep; 08-22-2020 at 10:32 AM.

A concept that Jedi teaches is the gross sight picture for high percentage shots using the back of the slide or window (with or without the dot). I think that's great on a relatively generous A zone or Down Zero. If you buy what Bolke, Dobbs, Fisher, Pressburg, etc are selling, on the other hand, in a LE and civilian defense context our target zone should be closer to the 5ish inch black zone of B-8. I haven't worked it enough to be convinced this is a valid technique for that more refined requirement.
    David S.

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalDep View Post
    Totally. Try point shooting on dot drills or trying to shoot a bullet hole at 3 yards and the need for finding the dot will become apparent. Plus, it’s important to learn what type of reference you need to make acceptable hits at different cadences and distances. As GJM has said (paraphrasing), often we’re not shooting a dot but instead a streak.

Statistics can be helpful but when analyzed by someone without sufficient expertise it becomes training to meet reality rather than training to improve reality.
    That’s pretty much what I was thinking. Makes me wonder about who is running the transition training and whether they really understand the dot life themselves. My RDS Instructor Class (Modern Samurai Project) spent most of the time shooting inside 10 yards. And other than the time spent on gross sight pictures we used the dot all the time.
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

User Tag List