Page 30 of 48 FirstFirst ... 20282930313240 ... LastLast

Thread: Red dot update - June 2019

Quote Originally Posted by MGW View Post
    Why would I want to buy a DPP when the SRO is working so well? Just curious.
    I have two CO guns, one with a DPP and one with an SRO. I much prefer the SRO. I like the screen size better, bigger and clearer dot, and I also like the way it operates better. JMHO, YMMV.

Quote Originally Posted by MGW View Post
    Why would I want to buy a DPP when the SRO is working so well? Just curious.
    For me there wouldn't be a reason. I do wonder if DPP may become a choice for a concealed option for some, considering that it has a better screen than RMR, and better battery access than anything, but the unit itself is not as big as the SRO. I think it might be a bit more rugged than the SRO. I'll leave it to Cowan to through shit around but I did drop my 43 oz CZ optic-down once, and DPP took it as a champ.
    Difficulty of getting back-up irons and stupid-ass intensity adjustment may stay in the way though.
    Doesn't read posts longer than two paragraphs.

My interest in the ruggedized DPP is solely linked to my interest in pistols (STI and SIG M17) which use the Pro footprint as a direct mounting option. Otherwise I'll stick to RMR and SRO.
    "When the phone rang, Parker was in the garage, killing a man."

My only interest in the DPP (DDP?) is that I already have guns direct milled for it. I've put a decent amount of rounds thru my non-upgraded DPPs (1 I got a great deal on from YVK), along with a ton of Coolfire, and they are still going strong. I think if I was starting fresh today with no direct milled guns, I'd go Holosun for CCW and SRO for games. But alas, all my game guns are DPP and I'll be picking up the ruggedized units when available.

To be honest though, I'm just not seeing a huge difference in performance regardless of unit as long as dot size is similar.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Duffy View Post
    Doing an experiment now with a Type 2 RMR. Mounted on a gun I shoot regularly, going on 1 year 8 months on the original battery. Going to see if it makes it to 2 years. Having a bottom mounted battery on an RMR is pretty much a moot point.
    Just bought an SRO for my revolver. Looks like it will be a really big help finding the dot reliably when shooting weak hand only. As an aside, I enjoy people who shoot weak hand at matches. It's often their first experience doing so. Usual refrain, "Where the f**k is the dot?!?"
    Just for info, the battery on the Type 2 RMR is past the 2 year mark being constantly on and still going strong. To be fair, the last couple of months haven't seen any matches with the RMR, though I do dry fire it regularly. Going to leave the battery in until June and change it on my birthday. All in all, very impressed.
    Real guns have hammers.

Smoke Bomb / Ninja Vanish Chance's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JodyH View Post
    Trijicon RMR dual illuminated still working perfectly match after match after match on my wife's PPQ Q5.
    The Dual illuminated RMR on my 19X has been 100% despite quite a bit of deliberate abuse.
    Third dual illuminated RMR on my Glock-a-RONI has again been 100%.
    Are the dual-illuminated RMRs still running? Apologies if you've addressed this elsewhere.
    "Sapiens dicit: 'Ignoscere divinum est, sed noli pretium plenum pro pizza sero allata solvere.'" - Michelangelo

Quote Originally Posted by Chance View Post
    Are the dual-illuminated RMRs still running? Apologies if you've addressed this elsewhere.
    Yes, but they have their own issues with dot visibility under certain lighting conditions as well as lens tint issues that kind of defeats the advantages you usually get from target focus shooting.
    There are a lot of RMR's that are almost there, none that I personally trust 24/7/365.
    Maybe in another generation or two.
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

Quote Originally Posted by JodyH View Post
    Yes, but they have their own issues with dot visibility under certain lighting conditions as well as lens tint issues that kind of defeats the advantages you usually get from target focus shooting.
    There are a lot of RMR's that are almost there, none that I personally trust 24/7/365.
    Maybe in another generation or two.
    Question to all: is there ANY optic now that one would consider for “duty”? There was a regional SWAT team that discovered recently that there were no backup sights for a DPP(front high-.5?) equipped pistol that fit in Level 3 duty holsters...oops.
    I work with an Aimpoint ACRO, and have an RMR2 used on another pistol. Any other thoughts on a red dot for carry?

Quote Originally Posted by 1Rangemaster View Post
    Question to all: is there ANY optic now that one would consider for “duty”? There was a regional SWAT team that discovered recently that there were no backup sights for a DPP(front high-.5?) equipped pistol that fit in Level 3 duty holsters...oops.
    I work with an Aimpoint ACRO, and have an RMR2 used on another pistol. Any other thoughts on a red dot for carry?
    There are folks that would pick some of the newer Holosuns over all other options, cost no object, so could be worth a try; I know Steve Fisher and Mike Pannone have both expressed the thought that even if they are Chinese, they work damn well. I've also started to see them show up on competition guns at my matches, haven't heard any complaints yet.

Quote Originally Posted by 1Rangemaster View Post
    We authorize RMRs and Holosun 507c. I’ve used both. Trust both.
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

User Tag List