Page 18 of 25 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 ... LastLast
Results 171 to 180 of 242

Thread: Red dot update - June 2019

  1. #171
    Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Next, after the 3 Max, I would pick the SRO for competition. It has the RMR footprint, top loading battery, choice of dot sizes, pretty good software, and it seems reasonably robust if not rock dropping tough. Negatives are the glass is very thick, and you can get double dots in a low forward sun angle, the optic protrudes enough forward it can be difficult in certain installations, and the buttons take too much pressure to move. The auto adjust is passable outside, but nearly as good as the RMR for EDC, especially inside against a light background.
    Happy fingers — SRO auto adjust is NOT as good as the RMR for EDC.

    On the Acro, I saw a few at Gunsite on LE pistols, but not yet in USPSA. Maybe if a hurricane is forecast, we will see some come out and play.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

  2. #172
    Talk about timing. Was just about to get on here to discuss the low sun angle issue. I was on the range yesterday and ran into this as the sun was going down. Was getting very frustrated towards the end with the reflection dots.

    Does the SRO address this better as I’m assuming the lens is deeper under the hood?

  3. #173
    Quote Originally Posted by TAZ View Post
    Talk about timing. Was just about to get on here to discuss the low sun angle issue. I was on the range yesterday and ran into this as the sun was going down. Was getting very frustrated towards the end with the reflection dots.

    Does the SRO address this better as I’m assuming the lens is deeper under the hood?
    From worst to best with a low sun angle — RMR, DP Pro, SRO, Romeo 3 Max.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

  4. #174
    Site Supporter
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Jhb South Africa
    Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Happy fingers — SRO auto adjust is NOT as good as the RMR for EDC.

    On the Acro, I saw a few at Gunsite on LE pistols, but not yet in USPSA. Maybe if a hurricane is forecast, we will see some come out and play.
    FWIW I saw a good few Acro's at the EHC in Serbia last month, including on Angus's gun.
    Welcome to Africa, bring a hardhat.

  5. #175
    Thanks for the info, gentlemen.
    Single anecdote: low sun angle(over berm)causes an “artifact”(purplish flare)on my Acro, but I could see the 3.5 dot clearly and plate rack down range-engaged successfully.
    I only have fair experience w/one other unit(RMR2), and I would put the Acro ahead in terms of visibility(RMR sort of washes out to my eyes).
    Dilemma with Acro as discussed before is its battery life. For personnel who will pay attention, it is workable and my preference due to sealed nature.
    I’d hazard to say most LE won’t, though...
    In the competition realm, easy day; competitors I would think just change the inexpensive battery before a major match.
    Lens/dot smaller than others, but bigger than RMR.

  6. #176
    Site Supporter
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Jhb South Africa
    Not scientific but I'm getting much better perceived battery life in my Acro from the Panasonic that replaced the one that it shipped with.
    Welcome to Africa, bring a hardhat.

  7. #177
    @BigT:
    Could you provide some data, please?
    GJM has a thread where, if I recall correctly, level 8 gave about one month before dimming, level 9 around two weeks and level 10(highest) around 7 days. That is really problematic on a “carry” gun for general use/issue.
    I, and others, monitor the dot intensity and change battery monthly. If there’s a better one, plenty of folks would want to know...
    I am currently running the Renata brand, recommended by US Aimpoint personnel, changing monthly.
    Thanks in advance for any info.

  8. #178
    Site Supporter
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Jhb South Africa
    Quote Originally Posted by 1Rangemaster View Post
    @BigT:
    Could you provide some data, please?
    GJM has a thread where, if I recall correctly, level 8 gave about one month before dimming, level 9 around two weeks and level 10(highest) around 7 days. That is really problematic on a “carry” gun for general use/issue.
    I, and others, monitor the dot intensity and change battery monthly. If there’s a better one, plenty of folks would want to know...
    I am currently running the Renata brand, recommended by US Aimpoint personnel, changing monthly.
    Thanks in advance for any info.
    Unfortunately thats why I said not scientific and better "perceived" battery life.

    I haven't done a GJM and tried to kill the battery. I've been carrying the gun most of the time so the adjustment has varied depending on requirements. Same battery since Mid August.

    Im using the Panasonic because thats what I could find
    Welcome to Africa, bring a hardhat.

  9. #179
    It is supposed to be single digits each night of my upcoming elk hunt, with a high in the 20’s/30’s each day, so it will be interesting to see how my Acro does with cold.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

  10. #180
    Thanks, BigT. I too manage mine carefully.
    Somebody in a thread earlier was cutting the strip packaging the Renata batteries come in, and putting a single pack inside the back cavity of tithe GLOCK receiver. Seemed like a good idea, so I have a spare there.
    @GJM: always look forward to your report-good hunting, sir!

User Tag List

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •