Page 16 of 48 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast

Thread: Red dot update - June 2019

Just got the Holosun 507C...

My first RDS, also got a Brownells G-19 slide with the window cut for RMR.
    I hope my learning curve will be quick.

If all goes well a Trijicon RSO will follow.

Simong.

Quote Originally Posted by ADK View Post
    @GJM, in your opinion, does the 5 MOA dot allow you to reliably run in auto mode all the time? Does it work reliably in low/variable light? With my 2.5 MOA SROs, I have to set them one click down from full brightness during the day, two clicks down at night (for indoor lighting). The auto adjust goes entirely too dim/small indoors and in variable lighting conditions. With my 3.25 MOA Type 2 RMRs, auto mode provides adequate brightness in all but the most extreme differential lighting conditions (ie aiming into very bright distant area from very dark area). Whatcha think? Is the 5 MOA SRO auto mode "bet yo life" reliable in virtually all lighting conditions? (Asking only about the auto brightness aspect--I am fully aware that the SRO may break against objects that the RMR would break, or something like that.) Thanks!!!
    I can’t answer all the questions you have.

I run the 5 SRO in auto almost exclusively for matches and practice. Inside the house, messing around in varying light conditions, it also seems fine to my eyes in auto. However, I don’t like bright things in my eyes and am sensitive to reflections. My wife and friend, Rich, prefer to run the SRO in manual, about one click up from auto in training and competition use. I like the 5 moa dot enough that I am about to sell my two 2.5 SRO units and standardize on the 5 moa units.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

I'm relatively new to the RDS game and have been running an ACRO on a G34 MOS for the last 5 months in a duty capacity (SWAT/Patrol). I've been pleased with it and believe that RDS offer more advantages than disadvantages for LEO applications. These advantages include making the pistol easier to shoot in general and extending the effective range of the handgun(often a patrol officers primary weapon), low-light effectiveness, and for SWAT use under NODs. These outweigh the fact that you have to keep them clean, train with them more often and ensure battery changes are done.

I do not, however, believe that they are ready for large scale blanket issue to patrol folk without more advances in technology and additional training. Our agency allows RDS sights on personally owned pistols but we require the individual to undergo additional formal training prior to using the weapon on duty.

I probably should have gone with a Type 2 RMR but I drank the cool aid too early and got the ACRO before I learned about battery life, however, I've had pretty good luck with the ACRO overall. I work 12 hour shifts and generally work about 16 days a month plus training days. My routine is to turn the sight down all the way on my days off and when I'm at home only turning it on when I go on duty. When I'm on duty its a few settings down from max which is generally a good balance for night work under white light (WML) and bright daylight. Using this technique and changing batteries every couple of months I have not had it go dead on me and changing batteries takes about a minute.
    Last edited by secondstoryguy; 08-22-2019 at 12:55 AM.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by ranger View Post
    Thanks - 1 on order. Now what to put it on? Will be reviewing options this weekend.
    Well it is on order but none in stock and no ETA from Trijicon. Little disappointed in eurooptic ordering system. Will wait a few weeks. My optic plate for CZ P10 F is on back order too

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    I can’t answer all the questions you have.

I run the 5 SRO in auto almost exclusively for matches and practice. Inside the house, messing around in varying light conditions, it also seems fine to my eyes in auto. However, I don’t like bright things in my eyes and am sensitive to reflections. My wife and friend, Rich, prefer to run the SRO in manual, about one click up from auto in training and competition use. I like the 5 moa dot enough that I am about to sell my two 2.5 SRO units and standardize on the 5 moa units.
    Thanks @GJM

Quote Originally Posted by ADK View Post
    Thanks @GJM
    I'm really liking the 5MOA as well, I've had 3,4, 6 and 8 MOA's from other vendors on all of my competition guns
    this SRO dot is by far the sharpest and clearest I've come across so far.

The Rmr type 2 is still working like new. I am really looking forward to the type 3. Hopefully it has a top change battery and adjustable intensity with lockout.

The consistency of the dot is awesome. Especially in transitions and on the move. My main gripe is the Glock. I think a p10c would be a step up for me with the mrds. Ergos and trigger are far better imho.

I did figure out my sticky mag problem with the magpuls are the tangodown grip plug/tool. The bases just barely drag. Which also explains why the tangodown will fall out during shooting. I have pulled the plug (hehe) but it did help fulfilling that grip.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Site Supporter
    Holosun 508T Green Reticle on its way to me!

Quote Originally Posted by RAM Engineer View Post
    Holosun 508T Green Reticle on its way to me!
    Interested in a review of that when you get to it.
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

I've just landed back from the European Handgun Champs in Serbia. Bloody brilliant match by the way.

Some observations. By DPP worked fine, though I had one instance of it being off when it shouldn't have been. Its possible but unlikely that I switched it off, though I suspect the motion sensor is going on this one. Its on about 9-10k rounds. It did eat a brand new duracell battery I put in it in four days of being on for 4-5 hours a day, which is much quicker than I've lost batteries before.

My buddies DPP shit the bed. This one had a motion sensor go at between 2-3k rounds and was sent back to Leupold for repair. Less than a 1000 rounds later the board has moved dramatically and he had to shoot half a 24 round stage point shooting. He is obviously unimpressed.

Same a fair amount of SRO's and Acros.

PO was won with a Shield.
    Welcome to Africa, bring a hardhat.

User Tag List