Page 17 of 48 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast

Thread: Red dot update - June 2019

Quote Originally Posted by BigT View Post
    I've just landed back from the European Handgun Champs in Serbia. Bloody brilliant match by the way.

Some observations. By DPP worked fine, though I had one instance of it being off when it shouldn't have been. Its possible but unlikely that I switched it off, though I suspect the motion sensor is going on this one. Its on about 9-10k rounds. It did eat a brand new duracell battery I put in it in four days of being on for 4-5 hours a day, which is much quicker than I've lost batteries before.

My buddies DPP shit the bed. This one had a motion sensor go at between 2-3k rounds and was sent back to Leupold for repair. Less than a 1000 rounds later the board has moved dramatically and he had to shoot half a 24 round stage point shooting. He is obviously unimpressed.

Same a fair amount of SRO's and Acros.

PO was won with a Shield.
    In my experience, anytime a Pro acts odd, it is failing, and I would pull it.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    In my experience, anytime a Pro acts odd, it is failing, and I would pull it.
    I would agree. I’d swap it out before it lets you down in a match.

Oh yeah mines going back at the same time as his, with instructions I want it replaced with the new style one.
    Welcome to Africa, bring a hardhat.

I only ran another 100 rounds through my rmr2, still works just fine.

My main reason for this update is how much better the dot has made me with irons. I was primarily shooting the dot for awhile and recently picked up a vigil commander. As soon as I started shooting the vigil I realized how much better I was tracking the front sight. I know, I know, it shoots softer than the Glock. But that did not make this big of a difference. I was pretty happy with this but it also made me hate that fat front sight even more. I run the smaller dot and love it. So I ordered a narrower more visible front for the vigil. If you are thinking about going with the dot, or even just experimenting. Give it a try, it may improve your irons game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Trukinjp13 View Post
    I only ran another 100 rounds through my rmr2, still works just fine.

My main reason for this update is how much better the dot has made me with irons. I was primarily shooting the dot for awhile and recently picked up a vigil commander. As soon as I started shooting the vigil I realized how much better I was tracking the front sight. I know, I know, it shoots softer than the Glock. But that did not make this big of a difference. I was pretty happy with this but it also made me hate that fat front sight even more. I run the smaller dot and love it. So I ordered a narrower more visible front for the vigil. If you are thinking about going with the dot, or even just experimenting. Give it a try, it may improve your irons game.

After primarily shooting a dot for a few years, when I shoot an iron sighted pistol now I default to target focus.

After primarily shooting a dot for a few years, when I shoot an iron sighted pistol now I default to target focus.
    Speaking of target focus. My steel plate at 50 yards was completely covered by the front sight. Which was a bummer because with the dot I still had a clear target and could see where I was hitting the plate. The narrower front should hopefully help with this. Just another advantage to the mrds over irons. Not something you would likely do in a self defense scenario, but still a data point.

I appreciate all of your insight into the mrds. Have learned quite a few things from your experiences.

Competition use update.

While this is always subject to new information, as of October 2019, based on my experience and that of two other shooters, I rate the Sig Romeo 3 Max as the best Carry Optics competition red dot. The glass is great, and where other optics get multiple dots with a low forward sun angle, the Max does not. The dot is bright and comes in a 3 and 6 moa dot size. There is quite a bit of adjustment in dot intensity in the range useful for outdoor shooting. It fits on a RTS2 mounting solution. The main negative is the up and down buttons move easily, and you need to be careful when grabbing the optic, as you could move intensity. It is not built as tough as an RMR, but then it is not designed as an EDC optic.

Next, after the 3 Max, I would pick the SRO for competition. It has the RMR footprint, top loading battery, choice of dot sizes, pretty good software, and it seems reasonably robust if not rock dropping tough. Negatives are the glass is very thick, and you can get double dots in a low forward sun angle, the optic protrudes enough forward it can be difficult in certain installations, and the buttons take too much pressure to move. The auto adjust is passable outside, but nearly as good as the RMR for EDC, especially inside against a light background.

Competition use update.

While this is always subject to new information, as of October 2019, based on my experience and that of two other shooters, I rate the Sig Romeo 3 Max as the best Carry Optics competition red dot. The glass is great, and where other optics get multiple dots with a low forward sun angle, the Max does not. The dot is bright and comes in a 3 and 6 moa dot size. There is quite a bit of adjustment in dot intensity in the range useful for outdoor shooting. It fits on a RTS2 mounting solution. The main negative is the up and down buttons move easily, and you need to be careful when grabbing the optic, as you could move intensity. It is not built as tough as an RMR, but then it is not designed as an EDC optic.

Next, after the 3 Max, I would pick the SRO for competition. It has the RMR footprint, top loading battery, choice of dot sizes, pretty good software, and it seems reasonably robust if not rock dropping tough. Negatives are the glass is very thick, and you can get double dots in a low forward sun angle, the optic protrudes enough forward it can be difficult in certain installations, and the buttons take too much pressure to move. The auto adjust is passable outside, but nearly as good as the RMR for EDC, especially inside against a light background.
    Have you had any electronic or mechanical failures with the Romeo 3 Max yet?
    Last edited by cornstalker; 10-23-2019 at 07:21 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by cornstalker View Post
    Have you had any failures with the Romeo 3 Max yet?
    Yes. I think between my friend, my wife and I, we have over six of them. On one, from the factory, the windage adjustment didn’t have enough tension, and we returned it. On a second, my wife dropped a slide with one onto the floor of the hotel room, and it developed a small crack at the edge of the lens. I am still using the cracked one as an experiment, and so far it is fine.

@GJM, for informational purposes:
    Seeing any of the (relatively rare) ACROs in practical competition?
    I know you prefer wide glass view-just curious.

User Tag List