Page 41 of 48 FirstFirst ... 313940414243 ... LastLast

Thread: Red dot update - June 2019

I'm wondering what's keeping Vortex from upping their game in this category. If they could catch up with Holosun I'd choose them every time just to have their warranty and customer service backing me.

Quote Originally Posted by stomridertx View Post
    I'm wondering what's keeping Vortex from upping their game in this category. If they could catch up with Holosun I'd choose them every time just to have their warranty and customer service backing me.
    In the last 12 months, I’ve heard Steve Fisher and Scott Jedlinski mention that Vortex has something in the works.
    David S.

Quote Originally Posted by David S. View Post
    In the last 12 months, I’ve heard Steve Fisher and Scott Jedlinski mention that Vortex has something in the works.
    I'll see a friend named Jerry Sat./NLT the 2nd week of Oct. & see what I can pull out of him.

Quote Originally Posted by peterb View Post
    https://www.bushnell.com/red-dots/rx...BU-RXS250.html
    The RXS-250 actually looks really promising. There are are a few videos on YouTube showing this being dropped on concrete and surviving, they are very brief clips and look to be produced by Bushnell and not independent testing. The only thing I'm unsure about is how tall it is above the slide. It uses a Deltapoint Pro footprint, but is it as tall as the DPP? Bushnell only does a 5 year warranty on their electro optics. Claimed 50,000 hours on setting 5 and uses a 2032. The only Bushnell product I own is a Prime spotting scope, but I'm pretty happy with it. Country of origin isn't listed, I'm assuming China although Bushnell actually does utilize South Korean factories on some of their lineup. Bushnell seems to be hungry lately revamping a lot of their catalog.

That RXS-250 looks to be just left of bang from getting a legal letter from Trijicon.

The design appears to be made up of multiple discrete elements, rather than a one piece forged frame, but for the price it looks like an attractive, if long-term unproven choice, for people unwilling to step up to a top level PMO. It seems to address many common complaints about some of the existing top tier optics with the top-loading battery, DPP footprint, side buttons and glare-shielded emitter.

This will go after the Burris/Vortex buyer looking for something with more drop survivability. If it proves durable both mechanically and electronically, it will have an impact on the market at the higher end.

The only red flags I see are the 12 hour auto-shutoff, with no reference to anything like MOTAC to turn itself back on, which I consider totally unacceptable on a carry pistol, and the minimal waterproofing (IPX67 is the same as a phone these days).
    Last edited by Archer1440; 09-28-2020 at 02:47 PM.

12 hour shutoff is an instant no from me unless I can disable it. I don't understand why they think we want that, Vortex is guilty too.

Site Supporter
    The auto off is because they don't have a 5 year always on battery life. I like the fact if I forget to turn off the battery, it will turn off for me. That gives me the ability to know the number of hours I am on high. They say 150 hours on high for the Venom, but that may be conservative.

This is not a deal for me. I touch the button and it is immediately on.

I gear up and am good for 12 hours. If I know I need to be at the ready for a longer time, I can simply hit the button any time I want.

I am one of the few people that turns on my Venom at the beginning of a match and off at the end of a match. I switch batteries about every 6 months for safety. Lots of people are turning on their red dots at the beginning of each stage.
    With liberty and justice for all...must be 18, void where prohibited, some restrictions may apply, not available in all states.

Sure, that’s fine, on a match gun, so long as you remember to actually turn it on before the first stage. My point is that it is totally unacceptable on a fighting gun. Full stop.

Quote Originally Posted by Archer1440 View Post
    Sure, that’s fine, on a match gun, so long as you remember to actually turn it on before the first stage. My point is that it is totally unacceptable on a fighting gun. Full stop.
    Different folks are going to have different ideas about what is and is not acceptable. DP Pro and Acro users are regularly fiddling with intensity since they don’t have an auto mode. Others won’t tolerate a twelve hour shutoff. Today, at the end of my practice session, I decided to shoot my RMSc equipped 43X, and would you know it, the 2032 had died. That necessitated removing the optic, replacing the battery, and reinstalling the optic. Fortunately I was at the range and could check zero.

A neat thing about the RMSc, is my BOLD sights worked perfectly, although I guess if I wanted to shoot iron sights I didn’t need the RMSc.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

User Tag List