Page 42 of 48 FirstFirst ... 324041424344 ... LastLast

Thread: Red dot update - June 2019

Usable BUIS are a must in my opinion, even on a match gun.

Quote Originally Posted by Archer1440 View Post
    Usable BUIS are a must in my opinion, even on a match gun.
    Agreed. 1000%
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

Site Supporter
    If one were considering a Sig P365XL with an optic, does the desire for backup sights limit optics choices? The rear sight is on the cover plate for the optic mount, so once this plate is removed, the rear sight goes with it. The Trijicon RMRcc and Swampfox micro sight do not appear to have a rear sight built in, but the Holosun 507k and 407k, RMSc Shield, and Sig Romeo all have rear sights. Without being able to comment on the reliability of the Holosun, RMSc, and Sig, the Trijicon is likely to be quite reliable,and Swampfox seems to really focus on reliability. So, is a real or perceived reliability advantage worth giving up the rear sight?

A very small percentage of Carry Optics shooters have BUIS on their competition pistols. I am ambivalent, and only a few of my competition pistols have BUIS. I am reasonably comfortable finishing a stage purely through index, having broken multiple optics during stages. I am adamant about BUIS on EDC pistols.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Absolutely not. I'll take the (likely) less reliable red dot with the rear sight every time. I think of iron sights on a red dot-equipped carry gun as similar to a reserve parachute. If you need it, it needs to work.

Actaully, I think of the entire handgun that way. It's ok to add gizmos, but it must remain useful and functional when the gizmos fail (won't turn on, come out of alignment, etc.). The small red dots will absolutely fail at some point.

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

A quick video review of the new Bushnell:

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    A very small percentage of Carry Optics shooters have BUIS on their competition pistols. I am ambivalent, and only a few of my competition pistols have BUIS. I am reasonably comfortable finishing a stage purely through index, having broken multiple optics during stages. I am adamant about BUIS on EDC pistols.
    Sure, it’s important to be able to index to a hit, but if one has the choice, the presence of the BUIS is no impediment to normal use of the RDS for me personally, so “why not” is my attitude. I fully understand this doesn’t work for some.

Quote Originally Posted by Archer1440 View Post
    Sure, it’s important to be able to index to a hit, but if one has the choice, the presence of the BUIS is no impediment to normal use of the RDS for me personally, so “why not” is my attitude. I fully understand this doesn’t work for some.
    It is very platform and optic specific. On the CORE, BUIS are standard, and I don’t notice them, especially if blacking out the dots. On the Legion, Shadow 2 and P10, BUIS are very hard to do. Some of my CO Glocks have them and some do not.

On the DP Pro the BUIS are like radio towers, where they are low enough on a Glock SRO to not distract. With the RMS regular iron sights work great.

One thing I really do not like is a fiber front with an optic, as it can be distracting.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    It is very platform and optic specific. On the CORE, BUIS are standard, and I don’t notice them, especially if blacking out the dots. On the Legion, Shadow 2 and P10, BUIS are very hard to do. Some of my CO Glocks have them and some do not.

On the DP Pro the BUIS are like radio towers, where they are low enough on a Glock SRO to not distract. With the RMS regular iron sights work great.

One thing I really do not like is a fiber front with an optic, as it can be distracting.
    I agree. I think every front sight for a DPP should have “688” stenciled on the side... lol
    Attached Images Attached Images  

I cant think of too many guys doing well in PO or POL running BUIS on their game guns. Too much unnecessary clutter for too little benefit.
    Welcome to Africa, bring a hardhat.

User Tag List