Page 28 of 48 FirstFirst ... 18262728293038 ... LastLast

Thread: Red dot update - June 2019

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by AMC View Post
    Any idea of the cost savings using the RITA from Winchester? You guys order way more than we do (we shoot about 1.5 million rounds of .40 a year), but when I looked at using the Federal Syntech purple training round, it wasn't really worth the minor cost savings.

In another note, do you guys use Winchester for duty? We've had....very bad luck with our RA40T recently, after years of no issues.
    I don't know the cost but I can find out. RITA is available in 9mm, 40 and .223. I haven't shot much of the .40 but the .223 is a 62 grain JHP and is more accurate than our duty 223.

No Winchester for Duty. Duty .40 is 180 grain HST 40, which is being phased out, and Speer GDHP 124 grain +P 9mm. GDHP 135 grain +P for the few of us who still have revolvers.

We had issues with both Remington and Winchester .40 prior to switching to HST .40. 7-8 years ago our contract with Speer lapsed we bought a big batch of Win 147 Bonded JHP 9mm off the FBI contract as a stop gap. It had random lost of bad primers and we had to relegate it all to training/qual use only.

The only Winchester we use now are 12 gauge slugs.

Living across the Golden Bridge , and through the Rainbow Tunnel, somewhere north of Fantasyland.
    Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    I don't know the cost but I can find out. RITA is available in 9mm, 40 and .223. I haven't shot much of the .40 but the .223 is a 62 grain JHP and is more accurate than our duty 223.

No Winchester for Duty. Duty .40 is 180 grain HST 40, which is being phased out, and Speer GDHP 124 grain +P 9mm. GDHP 135 grain +P for the few of us who still have revolvers.

We had issues with both Remington and Winchester .40 prior to switching to HST .40. 7-8 years ago our contract with Speer lapsed we bought a big batch of Win 147 Bonded JHP 9mm off the FBI contract as a stop gap. It had random lost of bad primers and we had to relegate it all to training/qual use only.

The only Winchester we use now are 12 gauge slugs.
    Yeah, we've had a similar experience recently. As in more than 1 bad round per case of 500. Bad primers, light loads, squibs, crushed case mouths, bullets loaded backwards, FMJ rounds loaded into the boxes. I relegated all of it to training only. We're trying to switch to HST, but our local purchasing agency thinks that buying guns and ammo is like buying lightbulbs and Toilet paper at Costco. Just get the Kirkland brand.

Quote Originally Posted by TCFD273 View Post
    I concur on the SRO, based on your posts I purchased mine the last week of November. Just passed 6k rounds, no issues at all.
    Didn't realize that the SRO represented a choking hazard until I followed that link. RO's, you are on notice!

I hear the improved DP Pro optics are now in the system or very close — hard to tell for certain, with Leupold impacted like most other organizations.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    I hear the improved DP Pro optics are now in the system or very close — hard to tell for certain, with Leupold impacted like most other organizations.
    Any chance you're going to run that on your Staccato P? I you do, and it's "George" proof, than I will make the jump to a Staccato P with DPP.

"George Proof" is my benchmark for going to optics.
    "And for a regular dude I’m maybe okay...but what I learned is if there’s a door, I’m going out it not in it"-Duke
    "Just because a girl sleeps with her brother doesn't mean she's easy..."-Blues

Do these look visually different from the standard DPP or are the upgrades all internal to the electronics?
    "When the phone rang, Parker was in the garage, killing a man."

Quote Originally Posted by wvincent View Post
    Any chance you're going to run that on your Staccato P? I you do, and it's "George" proof, than I will make the jump to a Staccato P with DPP.

"George Proof" is my benchmark for going to optics.
    Between my wife and I, we have many thousands of rounds through three or four prototype Pro units, and they are working perfectly, so based on that, I consider the design good to go now. I don’t know, though, where production units are in reaching retail.

Quote Originally Posted by JSGlock34 View Post
    Do these look visually different from the standard DPP or are the upgrades all internal to the electronics?
    Internal and visible inside the battery compartment. I really need to see the new production units to comment intelligently, and hope there is an easy way, like serial number range, to differentiate. I suggested they use a “G” in the serial number, but I am not sure they liked that idea.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Between my wife and I, we have many thousands of rounds through three or four prototype Pro units, and they are working perfectly, so based on that, I consider the design good to go now. I don’t know, though, where production units are in reaching retail.

H

Internal and visible inside the battery compartment. I really need to see the new production units to comment intelligently, and hope there is an easy way, like serial number range, to differentiate. I suggested they use a “G” in the serial number, but I am not sure they liked that idea.
    How is the battery life on new units?
    "...we suffer more in imagination than in reality." Seneca, probably.

Quote Originally Posted by backtrail540 View Post
    How is the battery life on new units?
    Better than an Acro.

Kidding aside, I haven’t really focused on battery life with the prototypes, and there is a new motion detector, so it is TBD. However, the DP Pro has the best battery door arrangement of any optic I have seen, and it is ridiculously easy to change batteries with it.

Quote Originally Posted by AMC View Post
    Any idea of the cost savings using the RITA from Winchester? You guys order way more than we do (we shoot about 1.5 million rounds of .40 a year), but when I looked at using the Federal Syntech purple training round, it wasn't really worth the minor cost savings.

The Winchester RITA allegedly is a 39% savings over issued duty ammo. It is 115 grain FMJ dyed purple and has a very similar felt recoil to the duty ammo (at least to me). My only complaint is the increase in fouling.

User Tag List