Page 19 of 48 FirstFirst ... 9171819202129 ... LastLast

Thread: Red dot update - June 2019

I am here at the junction of sunny UT, AZ, and NV states, shooting a TPC class. Started day 1 with two optic guns, finished the day shooting irons. A DPP died in its usual fashion, sliding the battery contact about as far as I ever seen it. That followed by attachment screws loosening on my SRO, despite being mounted with all the prescribed voodoo of screw prep, threadlocking, and using a good torque wrench. Under 2000 rounds since it has been mounted.

So, the 11/16/2019 red dot optic update: don't forget how to shoot irons.
    Doesn't read posts longer than two paragraphs.

Hammertime
    Quote Originally Posted by YVK View Post
    I am here at the junction of sunny UT, AZ, and NV states, shooting a TPC class. Started day 1 with two optic guns, finished the day shooting irons. A DPP died in its usual fashion, sliding the battery contact about as far as I ever seen it. That followed by attachment screws loosening on my SRO, despite being mounted with all the prescribed voodoo of screw prep, threadlocking, and using a good torque wrench. Under 2000 rounds since it has been mounted.

Thanks for continuing the beta test. This is absolutely why I got out of the red dot game three years ago: drama of various sorts despite what we hear from experts saying they are reliable. In my hands it was unending little dramas/breakages (multiple RMR milled Glock combos).

Up to 6500 trouble, drama and re-zero Free rounds on an RM06 type 2.

Another 2k on an RM06 Type one (bought by mistake - but identical function to the other )

Maybe the red dot thing isn’t set and forget.

But my slide-Miller installed front suppressor sight came loose on day one - the dot has not.

Quote Originally Posted by YVK View Post

YVK, was this with a direct milled gun or a plate/MOS type gun?

Quote Originally Posted by EVP View Post
    YVK, was this with a direct milled gun or a plate/MOS type gun?
    CZ custom aluminum adapter plate.
    Doesn't read posts longer than two paragraphs.

Quote Originally Posted by Doc_Glock View Post
    Thanks for continuing the beta test. This is absolutely why I got out of the red dot game three years ago: drama of various sorts despite what we hear from experts saying they are reliable. In my hands it was unending little dramas/breakages (multiple RMR milled Glock combos).
    Who are you going to believe? The experts? Or your own lying eyes?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay Cunningham View Post
    Who are you going to believe? The experts? Or your own lying eyes?
    You knew this was coming....

pat

Quote Originally Posted by Doc_Glock View Post
    The biggest takeaway I had from shooting dot guns for a few years was that I could, actually, shoot well with irons. Sounds silly now but I had convinced myself I couldn't see the irons well enough but that wasn't my problem at all LOL

Dots are great for dry fire and mixing into the training regimen, though... I still use one for that.
    "A man's character is his fate."

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by s0nspark View Post
    The biggest takeaway I had from shooting dot guns for a few years was that I could, actually, shoot well with irons. Sounds silly now but I had convinced myself I couldn't see the irons well enough but that wasn't my problem at all LOL

Dots are great for dry fire and mixing into the training regimen, though... I still use one for that.
    The best thing I've heard for red dots - they make all of your pistol shooting better, including irons. However, shooting irons won't make you better at shooting a red dot.

I have very limited experience in it, but my understanding is that since the sight alignment part is gone, and it's real easy to find out if the pistol returns to the same place (can't find the dot? not returning to the same place) - that it forces technique development to improve every other aspect of shooting a pistol.

Quote Originally Posted by jeep45238 View Post
    The best thing I've heard for red dots - they make all of your pistol shooting better, including irons. However, shooting irons won't make you better at shooting a red dot.

I have very limited experience in it, but my understanding is that since the sight alignment part is gone, and it's real easy to find out if the pistol returns to the same place (can't find the dot? not returning to the same place) - that it forces technique development to improve every other aspect of shooting a pistol.
    Yep! It helped me take my focus off of refining the perfect sight picture and onto what I did after ;-) It also pushed me to be more consistent with my presentation as well...

All in all, not what I expected to get out of the experience but more than worth it in hindsight.
    "A man's character is his fate."

User Tag List