Page 15 of 48 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast

Thread: Red dot update - June 2019

Quote Originally Posted by Up1911Fan View Post
    If my carry gun has an RMR, any reason not to put an SRO on a training gun or should I just stick with the RMR?
    The only downside I can think of would be if you "abused" the larger window. The SRO will be a lot more forgiving of your presentation so even if it isn't perfect you'll still see the dot where the RMR could result in the dot outside the window. A sloppy draw when you have to pull your carry gun would be a bad time to learn that you've developed a bad habit.

If you plan to compete with the training gun also then the SRO may be the better option as you can always practice with the RMR occasionally or with dry fire.

If you aren't competing, will only be using it for training, and don't intend to move the carry gun to an SRO down the line I'd probably go with another RMR.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by dontshakepandas View Post
    The only downside I can think of would be if you "abused" the larger window. The SRO will be a lot more forgiving of your presentation so even if it isn't perfect you'll still see the dot where the RMR could result in the dot outside the window. A sloppy draw when you have to pull your carry gun would be a bad time to learn that you've developed a bad habit.

If you plan to compete with the training gun also then the SRO may be the better option as you can always practice with the RMR occasionally or with dry fire.

If you aren't competing, will only be using it for training, and don't intend to move the carry gun to an SRO down the line I'd probably go with another RMR.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
    Beat me to it - my thoughts exactly.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Quote Originally Posted by Up1911Fan View Post
    If my carry gun has an RMR, any reason not to put an SRO on a training gun or should I just stick with the RMR?
    Well, having several RMR-equipped pistols, and having just recently put an SRO on one of them, what I found out was that I immediately wished I could replace a couple more. It's like going from looking out the peephole on the door to just opening the door and seeing everything out there. The view'll spoil you!

I'm thinking that the SRO's larger window will typically show the shooter that he can do better, and thus if using the RMR, the shooter can see if he can dig out a bit of speed/accuracy to get nearer the performance seen with the SRO.

Or something . . .

I'm a little out of the loop. What's all this talk about a newer Deltapoint?

Quote Originally Posted by JodyH View Post
    9moa green dot.
    Best color for the typical background in my area (desert southwest).
    The dual illuminated dot doesn't have the "bloom" that a red dot has and the 9moa isn't nearly as big as it sounds in actual use.
    I've found that my 2.5moa SRO red dot appears much larger than it is and the RMR dual illum green dot appears much smaller and I find no difference in them under actual use outside of extreme accuracy tests (say 1" dots at 10Y) and even then I have to manually dim my 2.5moa to see any advantage.
    My primary use is for USPSA carry optics and it'd have to be one hell of a small target for a max brightness (bright direct sunlight) 9moa to obscure and the washout issues the dual illuminated are prone to in low light is a non factor at the range.

btw: Trijicon replaced my dead on arrival SRO with a brand new one (serial number 1000 higher) and I spent an hour this morning zeroing and playing with it.

Right now i'm in a holding pattern of just playing with dot sights on pistols.
    Maybe in another generation or two of refinement the SRO/ACRO/HE508T will be where I'm good with switching over to them completely.
    I've seriously thought about getting that 9 MOA green circle for years because I think green dots pop better.

"btw: Trijicon replaced my dead on arrival SRO with a brand new one (serial number 1000 higher) and I spent an hour this morning zeroing and playing with it."
    in case anyone is tracking these for problems , mine is at #31XX zero problems as of yet, 1100 rounds through it so far.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    $490 shipped, and I just got two more — best price I have seen.

https://www.eurooptic.com/Trijicon-S...C-2500003.aspx

Well, they charged my card but don’t have an SRO to ship me. No idea on next delivery.

Obviously their website does not reflect real time inventory. If you leave your money with them apparently you are in the queue for the next shipment. If you cancel you have your money refunded and take your chances on availability.

Quote Originally Posted by Norville View Post
    Well, they charged my card but don’t have an SRO to ship me. No idea on next delivery.

Obviously their website does not reflect real time inventory. If you leave your money with them apparently you are in the queue for the next shipment. If you cancel you have your money refunded and take your chances on availability.
    Sorry to hear that. I received tracking and my two are on the way.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Sorry to hear that. I received tracking and my two are on the way.

I got a FedEx tracking update from a shipper in PA this morning. Thought it was the SRO, turns out to be refrigerator water filters via Amazon

SRO 5 vs 2.5 MOA

With a 2.5 it is common to increase the intensity of the dot to make the dot appear larger. That means you can’t run the optic on the auto setting of the SRO. Blooming the dot also makes the dot brighter relative to the target. My preference is to be looking at the targets, but still be able to quickly pick up the dot, and the 5 makes that easier for me. A larger dot also appears more stable to me.
    @GJM, in your opinion, does the 5 MOA dot allow you to reliably run in auto mode all the time? Does it work reliably in low/variable light? With my 2.5 MOA SROs, I have to set them one click down from full brightness during the day, two clicks down at night (for indoor lighting). The auto adjust goes entirely too dim/small indoors and in variable lighting conditions. With my 3.25 MOA Type 2 RMRs, auto mode provides adequate brightness in all but the most extreme differential lighting conditions (ie aiming into very bright distant area from very dark area). Whatcha think? Is the 5 MOA SRO auto mode "bet yo life" reliable in virtually all lighting conditions? (Asking only about the auto brightness aspect--I am fully aware that the SRO may break against objects that the RMR would break, or something like that.) Thanks!!!

User Tag List