Page 24 of 48 FirstFirst ... 14222324252634 ... LastLast

Thread: Red dot update - June 2019

Doing an experiment now with a Type 2 RMR. Mounted on a gun I shoot regularly, going on 1 year 8 months on the original battery. Going to see if it makes it to 2 years. Having a bottom mounted battery on an RMR is pretty much a moot point.
    Just bought an SRO for my revolver. Looks like it will be a really big help finding the dot reliably when shooting weak hand only. As an aside, I enjoy people who shoot weak hand at matches. It's often their first experience doing so. Usual refrain, "Where the f**k is the dot?!?"
    Real guns have hammers.

Do you find the SRO tough enough for hd/carry?

Quote Originally Posted by newyork View Post
    If you're asking me about the SRO, I haven't had it long enough to know. Only 77 rounds through it and with a revolver, so no additional stress on the optic caused by a reciprocating slide. I don't think I'd hesitate using it in a home defense role, In fact, I think the large window is very advantageous. I have two RMR type 2s on my HKs and I think they are the better choice for carry, in terms of concealability. I mounted the SRO on my P30L just to try it and it was very large by comparison and I'd have to find new holsters to accommodate it. BTW, the SRO fit perfectly on my P30L which was milled by L&M for my RMR.
    I'll be closely monitoring my SRO for zero drift to see if my unit is affected.
    Real guns have hammers.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by newyork View Post
    I've been shooting with one for a couple months. It will be my carry gun soon. I wouldn't use it in something like a law enforcement capacity where it would be exposed to a lot of potential impacts, but I see no issue in carrying it concealed. I prefer shooting it over an RMR enough that to me the trade off is worth any potential problem in regards to impact resistance. We've all watched thousands of videos of shootings. How often do we see the top of the gun take a direct impact of any kind?

Sounds pretty dang promising. Acro seems too big. Battery life too short. Odd battery. SRO seems the better choice. Big window. Battery placement. 2.5 or 5 moa?

Also, I’ve heard Ameriglo are too short for the SRO and Dawson’s are the way to go.
    Last edited by newyork; 12-02-2019 at 05:13 PM.

SRO is not delicate or temperamental. Some of them were plain defective, but as a group, it is certainly good enough for a home gun. I carried one and took it off only because I wanted a second game gun with it.
    I don't like auto adjust function and prefer to run my optics on manual. As a result, two of my RMRs ran out their Duracell batteries in under 6 months. Top loading battery is a big deal for me.
    I've shot dots of almost every available size and I prefer 5-6 MOA. It is not an issue of visual acuity; I know a many times over National champion in both irons and optic divisions who also likes that size. It is a matter of a personal preference, in my case based on ease of streak tracking, washout resistance, and performance on large, close targets, especially light colored.
    Doesn't read posts longer than two paragraphs.

As to the SRO for carry, the extra mass of the SRO carries at the belt line for me, and it conceals as well as an RMR. The auto function is better on the RMR, but the larger 5 moa SRO auto dot is closer to passable for my eyes than the 2.5, which is too small in lower light conditions.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

@newyork: both YVK and GJM certainly have a good deal of experience with multiple brands of red dots. I’m sitting here with an ACRO on Gen5 19MOS, and will attach a WML for overnight. Also have had an RMR type
    2, but that is a on an issued G45.
    The ACRO battery issues are annoying, and I just attend to it. I can see in a “home defense” role the SRO w/5moa dot as a very viable alternative, after vetting the individual example with a hundred or two hundred rounds fired.
    I have worked with Ameriglo sights and I believe one could find the right height(they have up to .500 high front sights).
    Conceptually, a pistol w/RDS mounted and a weapon light make a lot of sense in the “castle”...

Thank you very much guys.

Site Supporter
    Anyone know of the SRO fits in a Safariland RDS?

User Tag List