Page 1 of 48 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Red dot update - June 2019

Red dot update - June 2019

Here is my thinking as of mid June 2019.

For carry and hard core defensive use today, the RMR type 2 is the only high probability choice, unless an Aimpoint Micro works for your situation.

The RMS Shield is unproven, and leaving aside the current model is not waterproof and I know nothing about the new waterproof model, I am not aware of enough of them enduring high round counts to view them as viable.

The SRO clearly has teething problems, between the adjustments moving, and emitter problems experienced with multiple units even in our small sample. Hopefully it gets sorted out, but as of today, the SRO is at best, a “buy from Amazon” proposition, so you can return it for a no hassle credit, like my friend and I are doing.

The unmodified DP Pro is a real crap shoot. Some people report crazy high round counts, but my wife and I have broken 31 of them, making them hard to depend on. The three prototype ruggedized ones we have are working well, so with Leupold set to standardize those changes soon, the Pro may still be the gaming optic of choice.

The C-More RTS2 may be a niche gaming choice, but it doesn’t have universal mounting support, has less than ideal CS support for broken units, and I think is best on a frame mounted pistol.

The Vortex units seem to be hit and miss. I don’t know enough about the Burris and other lower end units to form an opinion.

The Acro is clearly an unknown. Aimpoint promised Aimpoint battery performance and reliability, and we know half that claim is wrong, so it remains to be seen on reliability, and whether it is overall viable. In any event it is harder to conceal, with a display to small for competition, making it a niche rather than universal solution.

A few months ago, I was convinced that 2019 was the year we finally got great new red dot choices that brought the PMO mainstream. Today, I think Aimpoint and Trijicon have snatched defeat from the jaws of victory with the SRO and Acro introductions, and realistically only after months of high round count use by multiple users, will we have an idea whether there is anything better than the RMR for defensive use and the DP Pro for competition.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Can’t wait to see what the next generation of PMRDO brings to the table. Seems like the ground work has pretty much been laid.

"Limited division" and "Ameriglo sights" have become interesting concepts again.
    Doesn't read posts longer than two paragraphs.

If I was designing a handgun red dot, I would:

1) offer a choice of two display sizes, one optimized for competition, and another for defense.

2) have at least six month battery life, and an easy to change battery compartment. The DP Pro battery compartment is excellent, and neither the SRO nor Acro battery compartments are as good. Wouldn’t go smaller than a 2032 battery, unless it wouldn’t cut into the six months of life.

3) have an RMR/SRO style auto-manual set-up with dedicated up and down buttons. I am nervous of motion detectors that sleep the optic. Probably need auto or sleep to make battery life.

4) consider BUIS compatibility, which for example, is tough with the DP Pro. Allowing the smallest possible BUIS optimizes usable display.

5) offer +/- a 3 and 6 moa dot size.

6) if possible use the Acro style mounting arrangement, so you have a large screw and cross bolt rather than screws we all eventually strip. This could pave the way for a QD or at least quick to remove optic.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    If I was designing a handgun red dot, I would:

1) offer a choice of two display sizes, one optimized for competition, and another for defense.

2) have at least six month battery life, and an easy to change battery compartment. The DP Pro battery compartment is excellent, and neither the SRO nor Acro battery compartments are as good. Wouldn’t go smaller than a 2032 battery, unless it wouldn’t cut into the six months of life.

3) have an RMR/SRO style auto-manual set-up with dedicated up and down buttons. I am nervous of motion detectors that sleep the optic. Probably need auto or sleep to make battery life.

4) consider BUIS compatibility, which for example, is tough with the DP Pro. Allowing the smallest possible BUIS optimizes usable display.

5) offer +/- a 3 and 6 moa dot size.

6) if possible use the Acro style mounting arrangement, so you have a large screw and cross bolt rather than screws we all eventually strip. This could pave the way for a QD or at least quick to remove optic.
    in the months and weeks leading up to the ACRO debut, the whole internet was crazy about enclosed emitters. It's not on your list, though.

For ME, all I wanted my type1 RMR to have is a top mounted battery, and MAYBE a little taller window, otherwise I'm happy with my RM06

I wonder if some sort of crystal shroud (like the material they use for good watch faces, not what is on the end of wizard staffs) (although if it takes some sort of wizardry to produce the ideal PMRDO I’m in) could be developed to enclose the emitter / lens area of a RMR type optic? The enclosed emitter thing is important to a segment of the shooting world as is being able to survive hard falls.

I would love a closed emitter design, as long as it came with an otherwise good feature set.

Darryl Bolke thinks Aimpoint could have used the Acro mounting system on a micro, to facilitate use on a pistol, and probably have been better off.

Quote Originally Posted by TCB View Post
    I wonder if some sort of crystal shroud (like the material they use for good watch faces, not what is on the end of wizard staffs) (although if it takes some sort of wizardry to produce the ideal PMRDO I’m in) could be developed to enclose the emitter / lens area of a RMR type optic? The enclosed emitter thing is important to a segment of the shooting world as is being able to survive hard falls.
    I assume the watch crystal material is synthetic sapphire. If so, I would suggest something like Corning's Gorilla Glass. The synthetic sapphire is very scratch resistant, but it is brittle. It tends to fracture quite spectacularly when it fails. Gorilla Glass survives phones pretty darn well and is a good transmitter of light.

To say that I’m disappointed that the pistol mounted RDS forum moderator hasn’t reviewed the Holosun HS507c is an understatement.

Moderator status: under review

#RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    To say that I’m disappointed that the pistol mounted RDS forum moderator hasn’t reviewed the Holosun HS507c is an understatement.

Moderator status: under review

I'm honestly much more excited about Holosun products vs any of the legacy companies these days.

User Tag List